JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
LolitaWishList (Offline)
New to JF

Exclamation What is considered a plus size lolita? - 10-15-2009, 04:06 PM

Hi guys, I'm actually pretty new here, however, I joined because I have a lot of questions regarding the Lolita fashion.

My friends and I are planning to attend an anime convention this upcoming March (momocon) and we have decided to try out the lolita style since it would be most appreciated there. We already know that there is a distinct diffrence in the Lolita fashion, and the much less appreciated Cosplay Lolita. We are all a bunch of diffrent shapes and sizes, some of us are skinny, and then there are those of us who are well rounded. Me myself, I'm one of the well rounded ones.

I know that Lolita is suppose to portray Innocence, so no cleavage or shoulders, and preferably knee length skirts and dresses, but...I have a lot of cleavage. I'm not really a BIG girl (probably by Japanese standards I would be...) but I do wear a size 10/12, and sometimes even a 14 (11/13 if the sizes of a line go by odd numbers) most of my other friends who are also a bit rounded are around the general area of 10-14.

So I was wondering, would it be okay for us to dress as Lolitas? I'm sure we could hide all the cleavage and stuff, but still...

If I were to buy a lolita dress, will it be hard to find my size?

More than likely we'll be making our dresses, but if we so happen to change our minds, I would love to know whether or not we could actually find our sizes thanks for all help guys, and happy to be a part of Japan forum!

Oh! And also, these are American sizes. I apologize, I have no idea what my waist measures or anything...

Last edited by LolitaWishList : 10-15-2009 at 04:29 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
LolitaWishList (Offline)
New to JF

10-15-2009, 04:27 PM

please help? T_T
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-17-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolitaWishList View Post
please help? T_T
Not sure if this helps but there's a 'Cosplay 101' on Youtube which discusses making costumes vs buying them: YouTube - Cosplay 101- Choosing a Cosplay

Also on Ebay (if you choose not to make your costume) should you search for it there's people who will custom make your costume, so say you found a Sakura dress from Naruto some may have the option of sending in your measurements. I think I searched for 'custom cosplay' when I found those.

If you're using UK sizes then 12 is a very average size for women, so you'll easily find a costume. Though I'm sure you'll look fine no matter what your body type
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Shinigamisaku (Offline)
lonely in gorgeous

10-22-2009, 01:17 AM

i think if you want lolita you should check out annas house or inthestaright because they do customized clothes... i know how you feel im about the same size thats why i make all my lolita clothing^^ alot of brands only do one size and its the best was to make sure its fitte and still looks cute^^
~kitten

Choose me or Die

under pregnant skies she came alive like miss leviathan

As im gathering up stardust i bump into you
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Cakes (Offline)
Has cookies?~

11-21-2009, 11:58 AM

The reason you might be concerned is because you've probably seen a lot of western 'lolita dressers' who are in actuality no more than cosplayers. They don't dress to fit their shape or suit it, and they don't work by the aesthetic of the true lolita.

There's no size limit on any style of fashion, I'll say that now. Take visual_fuckers: Theme, I s'pose ;O for example: she's probably what would be considered plus-size, and yet she looks absolutely beautiful in what she's wearing. It's not lolita, but I say this to illustrate my point: don't lose hope because of the ladies that don't know how to work the style.

I'd say first: get a measuring tape and do your measurements properly. Then find out your shape; Google 'what not to wear' or something of the sort (it's a television program that aired here in the UK, and on its website it has descriptions of types of body shapes and what to wear with them). Whatever your size, any woman can look lovely in anything she pleases.

Once you know for sure what your size is and what suits you best, do some research into the type of lolita dresses commonly worn. Lolita Fashion - For Lolitas of All Styles is a good indicator of the basic shapes.

The most important thing by far is, if you wish to look good in your clothes then don't buy bad quality clothing. Look around the shops near you; it doesn't have to be a lolita shop, because often you can find lovely blouses and skirts in totally normal shops that with the addition of some lace or ruffles in tasteful places can become very lolita.

If you can't afford a good quality dress with the right weight fabric, then definitely do at least, as you said, consider finding some patterns and making your own dress. I'd advise a mock-up in an old bedsheet or something first if you're inexperienced, though. Period-esque dresses are often not projects for the faint of heart due to things like the layers of fabric, the decoration, and sometimes just the complexity of the patterns.

The fabrics to choose would be heavy cottons and such: anything made of non-stretchy natural fibres. Matte dress satins (they're heavier and more closely woven than regular satins) will also do for some styles-- they suit more sophisticated dresses on the whole, though. If you want to go for one, try rubbing it between your fingers first; if it rustles and it has friction as it slides, then it's often a sign of the right kind of dress fabric (correct me if I'm wrong).

Don't pick very lightweight fabrics, or anything that's shiny/slippery. They will tend not to hang right over the layers of underwear, and look generally quite bad quality. Also, with due respect, curvier ladies do not tend to suit in shiny fabrics, since they will exaggerate the shape underneath by creating the illusion of contouring.

Don't worry about your cleavage. Lolita dresses are always quite high-necked and low-skirted, even the erorori styles, so there'll be plenty of fabric to cover your modesty. Consider a V-neck that starts just above your cleavage, preferably one that doesn't open too far, because this will make your breasts appear a little smaller than a round or square neckline.

Also try wearing a sports bra or minimiser bra, or if you really fancy it a corsage over or under your clothes (unless you wear a dress, in which case definitely under) that will give you a more straight-down shape. Stay away from the ones that will give you an hourglass, since as you said it's about childish innocence.

Be realistic about your size-- that's something that applies to absolutely everyone. If it comes only in a size under your own, just put it back. It's for your own comfort as well as the look. Lolita fashion is clothes, not costumes. You need something you'd be happy to wear all day on a regular day.

Colour's also important. Try to stick away from the black of kurorori or gosurori. Dispel the myth that black is slimming. >: Actually, it will silhouette a frame and so emphasise the outlines. Pick softer colours; if you really don't want to wear the pinks and blues, try charcoal grey or pastel purple instead. (Purple's a wonderful colour, since there's one that will suit practically everyone.) Limit your outfit's colours to three different, complimenting colours, since more will not tie the outfit together in the way you want.

Finally, if you're going in a group try to co-ordinate all your outfits. Wear a similar range of colours, or colours that compliment each other. If you go for colours that contrast with each other, make sure it's not too bright and bold. You want the little-girl ice cream pastel look, not the rainbow-that-fell-out-the-closet look. xD;

Tl;dr yes you can, don't be put off by those ladies who give it a bad name. Find out what shape suits you and work with it. Pick fabrics that will hang right, nothing light and overly cheap. Choose the right colours for you.

You'll look lovely, good luck. ^^
(#6 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-22-2009, 03:53 AM

I just saw a Plus Size Lolita 2 weeks ago. She was a lot bigger than you and she looked terrible. I think you will be fine. Besides, do what pleases you and don't worry about others.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
LadyImage (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to LadyImage Send a message via Skype™ to LadyImage
11-28-2009, 06:30 PM

Have a go at Bodyline and In the Starlight. Bodyline does have plus size clothes and In the Starlight you could get the clothes made to your measurements, most of my lolita clothes are from there.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-28-2009, 06:58 PM

Plus Size Lolita are hillarious!

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#9 (permalink))
Old
minimin (Offline)
Reeta-Leena Korhola

Send a message via AIM to minimin Send a message via MSN to minimin
12-01-2009, 11:58 AM

Never seen it, honestly dunno if i want to. Generally people who do cosplay are smaller. Can't really frame size(on account i don't know any cosplayers), so honesly dunno.

Rest in peace Kyle <3