(#1 (permalink))
Old
NightBird (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to NightBird Send a message via Skype™ to NightBird
Are Japanese peoples a lot more relaxed than others? - 12-06-2010, 09:18 AM

Hello all!

Just a question...
It's maybe a "culture" or something like that, or I'm wrong but...

I see a lot of Japanese peoples who have special hairstyle like flash colors, and... and who wears specials clothing where we would never dare to carry that in western countries...

For example, we are scared to wear clothes with a little different colors or even hairstyles with special colors... that made discriminant and strange for the others...

Is this the case in Japan?
Or peoples just don't mind because they are "accustomed" ? (they usually see that kind of this)

Or I'm totally wrong???
LoL
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

12-06-2010, 09:41 AM

It depends on the job, age, place.

Japan is SO far from relaxed it's not funny... stress-country.

Fashion-wise, Japan is pretty open, in the right places, with the right people.

Salary-men had better wear a full suit with a white shirty and shiny shoes and not do anything that sets him apart from the rest...

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

12-06-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
Hello all!

I see a lot of Japanese peoples who have special hairstyle like flash colors, and... and who wears specials clothing where we would never dare to carry that in western countries...

For example, we are scared to wear clothes with a little different colors or even hairstyles with special colors... that made discriminant and strange for the others...
I've often heard that because of Japan's overly oppressive uniform policies, you'll see things like crazy hair because it's something on you that can be shown off and not covered up.
I'd assume the same goes for fashion. If you're forced into a uniform all day, 5-6 days a week, why not let loose and get creative on your off days?

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-06-2010, 10:53 AM

I think it`s important to point out that people wearing that kind of thing and into the kind of fashion that is so popular to point out as "Japanese" are a very very tiny subset of the population.

Normal people never come close... And in fact, the greater majority of those people seen in photos are "dressed up" for the day and don`t really dress like that in daily life. Think "dressed up weird to get stares because I am bored on one Saturday" - not regular fashion.

It`s always interesting to see the reaction of those who come to Japan with dreams of living in a world of Harajuku fashion... Only to see that the country is 99.999% conservative when it comes to fashion.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

12-06-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I think it`s important to point out that people wearing that kind of thing and into the kind of fashion that is so popular to point out as "Japanese" are a very very tiny subset of the population.

Normal people never come close... And in fact, the greater majority of those people seen in photos are "dressed up" for the day and don`t really dress like that in daily life. Think "dressed up weird to get stares because I am bored on one Saturday" - not regular fashion.

It`s always interesting to see the reaction of those who come to Japan with dreams of living in a world of Harajuku fashion... Only to see that the country is 99.999% conservative when it comes to fashion.
That's absolutely right, thanks for pointing that stuff out.

I want to add also that most schools don't allow their students to change their hair color at all, so the uniform strictness idea doesn't really work =/

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-06-2010, 11:16 AM

I suppose cosplay is apart of the dressing up--possibly for visitors to admire and photograph.

my japanese friend who is almost seventy now is very aware of how she is dressed very soberly really--but I am sure the younger generation want to experiment and have fun doing so. she often is shocked with some young japanese students she meets-- but its a good thing that they are moving on-- doing their own thing.

when I first visited scotland many years ago-- I too was expecting all the men to wear kilts-- of course they didn't except for special events.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 12-06-2010 at 11:19 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
12-06-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I suppose cosplay is apart of the dressing up--possibly for visitors to admire and photograph.

my japanese friend who is almost seventy now is very aware of how she is dressed very soberly really--but I am sure the younger generation want to experiment and have fun doing so. she often is shocked with some young japanese students she meets-- but its a good thing that they are moving on-- doing their own thing.

when I first visited scotland many years ago-- I too was expecting all the men to wear kilts-- of course they didn't except for special events.
I really only see kilts up here for, as you say, special events (e.g. weddings etc.) & when the Tartan Army are off to watch the national team play football. I think in Japan, Harajuku in Tokyo is the most likely spot to see fashion-conscious young Japanese people. As well as, fans of Visual Kei & anime

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#8 (permalink))
Old
NightBird (Offline)
JF Regular

12-06-2010, 02:15 PM

Meh...
I compared some photos where we see population...
Western vs Japanese...

And well...
No you"re right... they're aren't much more peoples in Japan who wears special things... but I've seen more on Japanese shots than Western...

Are Japanese peoples less timid and more open of expression and/or spirit?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

12-06-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
Are Japanese peoples less timid and more open of expression and/or spirit?
not even close, Japanese people are the most humble, modest and timid people I've ever encountered in my life

That girl you see with bright green hair and incredibly erotic cosplay, would probably blush if you told her she was pretty, or not be able to answer you, and if she could she'd deny any nice thing you said about her

(#10 (permalink))
Old
NightBird (Offline)
JF Regular

12-06-2010, 02:39 PM

Seriously?
I'm nearly sure that's shouldn't be for all Japanese peoples...