JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
06-13-2007, 06:04 PM

well when you say so and so is much better or owns somthing else, it will tend to stir up somthing.

and like i said many times you cant compare the 2.
in both styles you use your Entire bottle.

Breakdancing is a little more complicated as there is 2 main styles and 2 stages.

We got Freezers and power moves. And you got the toprock stage and you got your downrock.

Toprock is the dancing style and downrock is the sixstep and the power move that follows.

Both stages are danced to music, and the close you can follow a beat the better you are.

Popping, theres few differnt styles but the Routine is basicly the same every time.

You basicly just start dancing to the beat, using methods of Popping, glides, locking, ticking, tutting, etc. etc.

Cept in Popping the beat is crucial, if you miss a beat, then you pretty much suck or ruined your Routine.

Both require skill, cept Breakdancing is more physically intensive.
hence why although i love both arts to death, but I still find that Break dancing is more difficult to master.

To me saying popping is much better then breakdancing is like hearing some one say Pocket/Gem Fighter is better then the original Street Fighter 2=P

your saying a dance form is better then what it spawned from.

I live the life style and a true believer that for 4 elements of hip hop are the true greats and will continue to be that way for all time.

Dj, Mc, Beatbox, and Bboying.

i know your trying not to argue but with bold comments and thread topic such as yours, its hard not to defend bboying.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#12 (permalink))
Old
lehmki (Offline)
Come over to the darkside

06-13-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housetek View Post
well when you say so and so is much better or owns somthing else, it will tend to stir up somthing.

and like i said many times you cant compare the 2.
in both styles you use your Entire bottle.

Breakdancing is a little more complicated as there is 2 main styles and 2 stages.

We got Freezers and power moves. And you got the toprock stage and you got your downrock.

Toprock is the dancing style and downrock is the sixstep and the power move that follows.

Both stages are danced to music, and the close you can follow a beat the better you are.

Popping, theres few differnt styles but the Routine is basicly the same every time.

You basicly just start dancing to the beat, using methods of Popping, glides, locking, ticking, tutting, etc. etc.

Cept in Popping the beat is crucial, if you miss a beat, then you pretty much suck or ruined your Routine.

Both require skill, cept Breakdancing is more physically intensive.
hence why although i love both arts to death, but I still find that Break dancing is more difficult to master.

To me saying popping is much better then breakdancing is like hearing some one say Pocket/Gem Fighter is better then the original Street Fighter 2=P

your saying a dance form is better then what it spawned from.

I live the life style and a true believer that for 4 elements of hip hop are the true greats and will continue to be that way for all time.

Dj, Mc, Beatbox, and Bboying.

i know your trying not to argue but with bold comments and thread topic such as yours, its hard not to defend bboying.
yeah thats true, that u wanna defend ur belifs, but i must say this popping didnt come form breakdance, there was some kind missunderstatings , cus in the 70 i think it was some palcese popping was calld also breakdanceing cus of some ppl called it that way ...
baisicly some thing like this happend
The mainstream media contributed to the spread of popping and its related styles through movies such as Breakin', but also introduced a naming confusion by putting them all under the label breakdance, conflicting with the distinct floor-oriented dance by the same name (at that time known as breaking).

Bro to CN and to Musashi
evil dentist shinigami captain who's reiatsu powers match Kenpachi and Ullriquora put together! to Aoshi
The cool old bro, who teases hes younger bro NIghtmare
Protective bro to curious_jane
Choco the family guardian
Teasing brother to wbslngr
Personal Bodyguard - Michieru
My pretty maid - Ayame90
and a very loyal butler - ImmortalFlare
Right Hand Mistress of Darkness-QuoyaNatsume
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
06-14-2007, 01:31 AM

im glad you can quote wikipedia. but reason why the "confusion's" happened in Breaking *if you ever saw the movie* is the characters were breakers who also popped.

You can call the style what ever, popping or jerking but it was never made popular until Electric boogolo and Breaking. Popping would never have gotten as far as it did if it wasnt for Bboying.

we got MJ doing some of it, but who follows MJ now adays.

I havent been to a single event where the main attraction is popping.

Although Solo man Sam did pioneered some styles theres no mention of Don Campbelle, who Pioneered locking and Crazy legs a Bboy from Rocks Steady Crew who incorporated it into Bboying.
No one can take claim of the origin of Popping and Locking.

So i suppose the argument of where popping came from isnt gona be settled between us, since its been going on since the 60s. Basicly its like trying to claim who did the first so and so move and then calling the other person a biter.
Fact of the matter is, that it started from east and west coast pretty much around the same era, just that neither side knew who was doing it first but when it first became popular every one tried to claim it.

The definition of popping and the same style that Hyunn Joon incorporates is a mix of SOO many styles. Such as the many listed on Wikipedia.

So to find the origins of that is basicly Alots of break influence and early works by sam Solomon.

If you want to go back EVEN FURTHER into the 20's! same can argue that Popping and that style developed from the CHarleston.

so i guess were both right in some aspects but im more focused in the fact that bboying put made popping what it is today.

btw heres a interesting lil clip of The charleston being remixed with daft punk.
you'll see that 90% of the moves are still incorporated into popping and locking today
YouTube - charleston style

but still to say Hyun Joon is one extremely gifted person to have soo many styles. If you were to go thru all of his videos he seemlessly goes from one style to another with the greatest of ease and uses his own techniques to boost his great showman ship.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

(#14 (permalink))
Old
MariYa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-14-2007, 10:47 AM

Housetek (not sure if I could use your real name, due to confdentiality),
From your opinion, do you think break dancing is more popular in Japan or in the USA? I don't really know , I think in Japan there many sociAL groups and they seem not to mind each other (like Jrockers and ohare kei, or ganguro,yamamba...etc), like here in the USA, if someonedoesnt understand your style/lifestyle they make fun of it.. Correct me if I'm wrong about anything I say here. Do you think break dancing is limited to one social group or it doesn;t matter whats your clothing style and beliefs?

I try to run away, forget it all…
The years pass, but pain remains.
These memories are like a thorn
Embedded deep in my heart…
It’s draining me drop by drop.
I can’t stop thinking about the past
The pain is too great, to just let it pass..
(#15 (permalink))
Old
lehmki (Offline)

06-14-2007, 10:51 AM

and ur right i aint gonna argue any more.... u know more than me, more experince etc. .. and i didnt mean to offence ur dream/life work

and the vid was cool

Bro to CN and to Musashi
evil dentist shinigami captain who's reiatsu powers match Kenpachi and Ullriquora put together! to Aoshi
My pretty maid - Ayame90
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

06-14-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariYa View Post
Housetek (not sure if I could use your real name, due to confdentiality),
From your opinion, do you think break dancing is more popular in Japan or in the USA? I don't really know , I think in Japan there many sociAL groups and they seem not to mind each other (like Jrockers and ohare kei, or ganguro,yamamba...etc), like here in the USA, if someonedoesnt understand your style/lifestyle they make fun of it.. Correct me if I'm wrong about anything I say here. Do you think break dancing is limited to one social group or it doesn;t matter whats your clothing style and beliefs?
I would have to say its more popular in the States because thats were it originates from. Although Germany, Korea, and France are up there also.

Considering Battle of the Year main event is Held in Germany.

In the area of Poppers and Breaking, both are incorporated in the hip hop life style. So where ever one exists, it is accepting of the other.

Breakers from my experience are very open people. Im apart of many styles and groups. Bboying and hip hop to me is not limited to its own social group.

From my years of dancing i've met bboys and have personal friends who work in Wall street, who love and play Classical Violin, love Jrock, into anime, into comics, people who are hippies, who are jus lazy bums, people who are corporate big heads, sports medicine doctors and the list goes on.

Me my self, i like to play world of warcraft and online games, i play video games constantly, i watch anime and go to Cons, i like to rave and go to shows. Im open to all things, and i dress and act accordingly.

If im gona go to a competition ill dress in triple 5. If im going to a Incubus concert will wear burnin sho, and if im going to a con, ill cosplay.
My style is diverse and i like to respect every ones styles and social groups. Im not one to shut any one down, even if i dont like their social group due to bad experience.

Cuz its not fair to dislike and bash on a certain group of people b/c of a few bad experiences.

Japan is alot more understanding of this philosophy then the US is. Mainly cuz the majority of people in the US are more aggressive.

In my travels to vietnam, japan, canada, and china, and from my international friends from Greece, Brazil, Germany, Poland, Czech, Russia, and Albania; people do not view the US as the nicest place in the world.

Every one just wants to belong and at the same time be unique.

But the sad truth is, that many people are more afraid of being alone then being ordinary. So in the end they find their group and many times their social group has a rival.

And in many cases they will turn rivalry into hatred.

As far as my personal style and beliefs, i would like to say its complex or unique, but its pretty simple.

Do what i please and wear what i want with out hurting any one.

i try to follow this as much as possible but some times i have to make sacrifices such as Cutting my hair really short (use to be down past my shoulders) in order to get a decent job now that im out of school and cant play as much as i want to any more.

and im not saying i love everyone or get along with every group, cuz i definitely don't, i jus choose not to confront them or give them any power by acknowledging them

MR.JF & Jf God

Last edited by Housetek : 06-14-2007 at 12:09 PM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MariYa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-15-2007, 11:58 AM

I completely agree with you. know from what I hear, not everybody think highly of the USA. I think that here, some people try to imitate lifestyles or hate other styles because they don't want to be alone. Here people are egoists in terms of thinking only about oneselves, but in terms of lifestyles, they are afraid of major changes and if they see something new they don't try to research it or understand it, talk to people from that group and find out who the people are before hating them. I got this book about Japanese urban culture and the author says "And Japan is a place to overcome alot of racial and economic barriers before something like that happens (find your own unique style and be proud to be different and not being made fun of). But in Japan, it is easy to unify with others" (Evers, Izumi., Macias, Patrick., Japanese Schoolgirl Inferno, Tokyo Teen Fashion Subculture Handbook).
It is ironic that the USA is a country where people of all nations come to. At the same time there's so much hatred is going on because of closed mindness.. I know somebody who also loves raves, used to go before he started working after college, and not being limited to only one type of music. Every genre has good and bad tracks. Also this person can find something common to talk about with anybody. Sad,but true some people I used to know in HS were very limited and they made fun of me cause I was cool with everybody doesn't matter their race or nationality or how long they are in the states. Also, people did not understand why I listen to Jrock. I used to care alittle but then, I understood that if you like something, stand by it, don't change just to fit in cause you cant fit in every social clique, one or another will disagree with you. If you try to please everybody, you'll lose your true self and will become a human robot. Anyway, thank you for explaining to me about breakdancing culture and your own experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housetek View Post
I would have to say its more popular in the States because thats were it originates from. Although Germany, Korea, and France are up there also.

Considering Battle of the Year main event is Held in Germany.

In the area of Poppers and Breaking, both are incorporated in the hip hop life style. So where ever one exists, it is accepting of the other.

Breakers from my experience are very open people. Im apart of many styles and groups. Bboying and hip hop to me is not limited to its own social group.

From my years of dancing i've met bboys and have personal friends who work in Wall street, who love and play Classical Violin, love Jrock, into anime, into comics, people who are hippies, who are jus lazy bums, people who are corporate big heads, sports medicine doctors and the list goes on.

Me my self, i like to play world of warcraft and online games, i play video games constantly, i watch anime and go to Cons, i like to rave and go to shows. Im open to all things, and i dress and act accordingly.

If im gona go to a competition ill dress in triple 5. If im going to a Incubus concert will wear burnin sho, and if im going to a con, ill cosplay.
My style is diverse and i like to respect every ones styles and social groups. Im not one to shut any one down, even if i dont like their social group due to bad experience.

Cuz its not fair to dislike and bash on a certain group of people b/c of a few bad experiences.

Japan is alot more understanding of this philosophy then the US is. Mainly cuz the majority of people in the US are more aggressive.

In my travels to vietnam, japan, canada, and china, and from my international friends from Greece, Brazil, Germany, Poland, Czech, Russia, and Albania; people do not view the US as the nicest place in the world.

Every one just wants to belong and at the same time be unique.

But the sad truth is, that many people are more afraid of being alone then being ordinary. So in the end they find their group and many times their social group has a rival.

And in many cases they will turn rivalry into hatred.

As far as my personal style and beliefs, i would like to say its complex or unique, but its pretty simple.

Do what i please and wear what i want with out hurting any one.

i try to follow this as much as possible but some times i have to make sacrifices such as Cutting my hair really short (use to be down past my shoulders) in order to get a decent job now that im out of school and cant play as much as i want to any more.

and im not saying i love everyone or get along with every group, cuz i definitely don't, i jus choose not to confront them or give them any power by acknowledging them

I try to run away, forget it all…
The years pass, but pain remains.
These memories are like a thorn
Embedded deep in my heart…
It’s draining me drop by drop.
I can’t stop thinking about the past
The pain is too great, to just let it pass..
(#18 (permalink))
Old
lehmki (Offline)

06-16-2007, 09:47 AM

what u both said, is very true and thats why i hate this place where i live, cus of the ppl, the dispise anybody, thing that is different from thir group, when i went to germany for the first time, its was compleatly different than here, the ppl were nice and polite etc, thats why i wanna leave this place as soon as i can, wanna go to japan , but dont have that kind of money right now, pluss my japanese isnt very good :P

Bro to CN and to Musashi
My pretty maid - Ayame90