JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ivorytoned (Offline)
JF Regular

becoming harajuku - 08-11-2007, 02:09 AM

ok I live in america in a crapy small town w/ boring as hell style I've always loved japan and thier fashion and I decided to say screw them I want to become harajuku! I've always had a style thats different than most and I want to fully express it. but I need to find a good hairstyle that fits me. have a crappy pic of me on profile
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
08-11-2007, 10:16 AM

harajuku style is basically jus wearing the craziest combinations of colors.

and going to harajuku to show off.

i find that most people who dress "harajuku" only do so in harajuku.

and they wear normal clothing every where else.

its just a place to go and show off crazy styles.

its really a mix of Goth, Lolita, Visual Kei, etc etc.

in other posts already there are people saying they dont see so many "harajuku" people out in harajuku

well, they really only come out when the weather is nice and on the weekends.

according to my friends who live in japan, the style is dieing out.

also the American perspective on the harajuku style is severely over dramatized

If you like the style, then more power to you.

but really know what dressing harajuku is all about.

its just a thing to do to show off on the weekend.

you wont see the same styles in the school and rarely in any other places.

Kinda like shibuya girls *ganguro girls* or how ever its spelled.

choose your own personal style and go with it.

dressing different for the purpose of dressing differently makes you lose your true identity.

im not saying its bad to dress harajuku style or its bad to adopt another cultures style

but Japan's style cannot be summed up by harajuku style.

its far from it.

Japan is a huuuge mix of multiple styles. but the most common you will see is big brand names and very Westernized.

And they adopt alot of the European look.

Sorry to disappoint but, thats what you'll see when you go to japan.

Harajuku is what you'll see in harajuku and mainly only harajuku.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ivorytoned (Offline)
JF Regular

yea - 08-11-2007, 07:50 PM

I already know all that. I know that it's not how they dress all the time and all the different styles. harajuku barely exists in america but I want to dress it anyway because I love the styles including lolita,ganguru,and visual kei. I've decided to dress like that as a way of expressing myself creatively through my look. I'm not doing it for anyone else but me since almost noone else knows what it is. I know who's going to hate it and who will love it. I just thought I'd ask people who are used to doing the crazy and colorful hairstyles here for thier opinion.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
08-12-2007, 08:05 PM

hate to burst your bubble, but harajuku style barley exists in harajuku =P

out of the entire lil city of Harajuku only a hand full of people will dress up that way, and thats only on a nice day, and usually the weekend.

like it said many times in numerous posts. its a hobby and the style is fading.

nowadays you'll see the "new" harajuku style less super flashy and crazy colors, to just more unique style and i guess a watered down version of what it use to be.

in most pictures you see online, its like the super extreme people that dress up.

but, do what you want and dress the way you want.

i dress up in pretty eccentric clothing and weird styles, but i kinda mold it into my own and throw my personal flavor into the mix.

and if you really dont care what other people think, then go dress up the way you want and express your self.

from what i've seen the Tann Shibuya look is more dominant over Harajuku.
But the most common style you see in japan is the big brand name brands.

Basically Western and European style.

that is what you'll see every day walking around.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Bloomzy (Offline)
JF Regular

08-12-2007, 08:59 PM

Harajuku isn't a style, I'm sure you know that. So when you say you want to dress Harajuku what do you mean exactly?

It's great if you want to dress all these different styles. Be yourself. BUT I think it is best if you decide on just one, if not make your own from all of them. Gals are particularly tough when it comes to someone wanting to follow the style...it's something you put 100% into, not something you do when you feel like it.

I hope I don't sound like I am being rude.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Aleesunz (Offline)
Watch This Space

Send a message via AIM to Aleesunz Send a message via MSN to Aleesunz Send a message via Skype™ to Aleesunz
08-14-2007, 11:03 PM

;__; There are so many threads on this topic, can;t we make one giant onne? XD

Also yeh agreed, I acutally don;t know when people started called the fashion/styles "Harajuku" D; Although my suspicions lie in Gwen Stefani... There are looads of styles.

Actually wait, you mentioned "including lolita,ganguru,and visual kei." Sorry. Hmm well, i've never seen a blend of that before but should be interesting. Be sure to get some picturds uppp : D

Also eh, I just dress the way want rly and always have since the age of 9... XD I HATE attention and I hate being stared at but I feel fine when i'm with friends and I don;t dress all "crazy" all the time, just maybe...5 days out of 7...It also depends on my mood. If I get up in the mornings and it's like "YAAY" I dress up "crazier" than usual and then sometimes I just go out in me jeans, hoodie and a t-shirt. I still have my 309258023 layers of eye make-up though ;o

Also I tend to change "style" quite often. I go through one phase and buy fuckloads of shite for it and then only wear it like once and move on ;o

./Let's Pretend We Don't Exist, Let's Pretend We're In Antartica

x~ www.lastfm.com/user/CallieBo ;p
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ivorytoned (Offline)
JF Regular

.. - 08-17-2007, 10:41 PM

I didn't phrase this right I guess what I meant to say is that I've always loved dressing in different unique styles and I like the ones that you'd find on harajuku street and they've kind of inspired my style even more. I don't want to com[;etely change into one just use them to inhance my fashion. I've always had flat boring hair and thought that maybe someone here could give me some advise. srry I didn't make myself clear *slaps self*
(#8 (permalink))
Old
SaginumaEki (Offline)
JF Regular

08-17-2007, 11:08 PM

About hair...the wackiest hair you'll is is probably someone being blonde. Most people that dye their hair dye it that rusty orage. Like 2 people have legit pink hair. Just get hair wax and puff it up. It's not that hard.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Lika (Offline)
New to JF

08-19-2007, 08:49 PM

first harajuku is not a STYLE it a district in tokyo. so firt of is witch style your after myself i love the Decora fashion thats all about being chldish and wtf.. the crazyest combinations of color and paterns.