JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Mabuikoneko (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Mabuikoneko Send a message via MSN to Mabuikoneko
Talking Style Style Style?!?!? - 08-15-2007, 06:02 PM

Ok, Here my problem I'm a 15 year old high school student, and a visual kei and oshare kei lover, accept one problem : I have no money and I live in New york where its hard to find Visual Kei Store and clothing.~~~

And i can't shop online. ~~

I'm in my 2nd year in high school of honor class so really im trying to get out of high school and in to Fashion college. My age is my big problem since im 15 I won't get a job. Get the style i want? & How do I earn money without killing my grades?

Keep this in mind I only get $10 a month... -.-"

MoMo
(#2 (permalink))
Old
gloomth (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2007, 06:07 PM

if you intend on going to fashion school youd better be sewing NOW.

So maybe you could make your own clothes?
Edit and recreate vintage clothing.
Buy cheap fabrics and learn patterns.
Sew patches onto existing clothing you own or alter it.

If you arent sewing now then your chances of attending a reputable fashion school are greatly reduced. you need to bring completed samples or a portfolio of pieces youve done to a real school, maybe not if its one of those joke institutions advertised during daytime telly. its hard work. so if you have a basis of creative sewing already your schooling will not only help you blossom but will be way easier than going in without knowing how to fill a bobbin....

Ive done it, i run my own label now and it was a struggle getting here.
school in the arts is difficult. anyone who tells you otherwise hasnt gone.

if you ever have sewing questions let me know i can definitely advize
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Mabuikoneko (Offline)
JF Regular

08-15-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloomth View Post
if you intend on going to fashion school youd better be sewing NOW.

So maybe you could make your own clothes?
Edit and recreate vintage clothing.
Buy cheap fabrics and learn patterns.
Sew patches onto existing clothing you own or alter it.

If you arent sewing now then your chances of attending a reputable fashion school are greatly reduced. you need to bring completed samples or a portfolio of pieces youve done to a real school, maybe not if its one of those joke institutions advertised during daytime telly. its hard work. so if you have a basis of creative sewing already your schooling will not only help you blossom but will be way easier than going in without knowing how to fill a bobbin....

Ive done it, i run my own label now and it was a struggle getting here.
school in the arts is difficult. anyone who tells you otherwise hasnt gone.

if you ever have sewing questions let me know i can definitely advize
Wow Thank you um I don't have a sewing machine so I did somethings by hand, I created a barbie doll dress which came out some what nice but a little to tight, I brang it to a Fashion High School and they accepted me to go there and attend accept declined it because i thought I might be able to finish school earlier if i stay here but i wasn't thinking i could have finish college earlier if i went to that high school

MoMo
(#4 (permalink))
Old
gloomth (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuikoneko View Post
Wow Thank you um I don't have a sewing machine so I did somethings by hand, I created a barbie doll dress which came out some what nice but a little to tight, I brang it to a Fashion High School and they accepted me to go there and attend accept declined it because i thought I might be able to finish school earlier if i stay here but i wasn't thinking i could have finish college earlier if i went to that high school

well fashion HIGH SCHOOL is definitely different than post secondary i can assure you.

a high school doesnt really care what your specific interest in the arts may be as they may want to expose you to a variety before you finish high school, thus your previous knowledge or skillset in a specific field wont be a problem- as most everyone changes their end goal a thousand times during high school. a "fashion" high school would perhaps teach you the skills you need to attend a fashion program at a post secondary level.

think of it this way- would you get accepted easily to harvard law if you had NEVER taken a single law class or english in high school? Nope.
Specific fields require specific skills.

even if you dont go to an arts or fashion high school youll need basic sewing skills to attend a post secondary institution to pursue your goal.

i have NEVER seen a post secondary arts institution that doesnt want to do a portfolio interview prior. and let me tell you, those interviews can be vicious.

As far as sewing machines go. you can get them SO CHEAPLY nowadays- dont hesitate. and it doesnt have to be some serger pro unit or anything. you can get them at yard sales and they have EXTREMELY long lifetimes and are eay to maintain. most reputable machine stores will refurbish old ones and sell them for $50 with a warranty, which is definitely worth checking out if youre serious about fashion as a career. or you can get even cheaper ones that are often sold in newspapers etc. just take the machine to a singer store or sewing machine store and they can recalibrate and refurbish it for usually $20-30 dollars.

then go to the library and read everything you can find about fashion and sewing and design. learn color, learn fabric, give yourself the best base you can get before doing this as it sure isnt easy once youre on your own.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
Kaicui (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-15-2007, 07:50 PM

u from nyc? i know some spots around nyc for visual kei clothing
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Laine (Offline)
とび魚

Send a message via MSN to Laine
08-15-2007, 08:18 PM

If you want visual kei-style clothing, there are a crapload of clothing stores (mostly run by Japanese punks) in the East Village that have similar styles. Just walk down St. Mark's Place (3rd avenue & 8th street). If you don't know how to get there, take the 6 to Astor Pl or the R, W, N, Q, 4, 5, 6, or L to Union Square. Most of it is vintage punk clothes, but there's some visual styles as well. I recommend Search & Destroy (you can usually hear Shiina Ringo blasting from this store) and Trash & Vaudeville. Everything basically costs $25+. Trash & Vaudeville also has a shoe store located right underneath it, where you can find reasonably priced punk shoes (creepers, converse... uhh... I don't know the names of shoes).

But your real problem is your lack of money, right? Usually schools process working papers for students, so ask your school to give you working papers (you'll need a doctor's note saying you're healthy enough to work, and photo ID verification with your birthday on it). Once you have your working papers, go around looking for a job; I recommend waitressing (but it's unlikely you'll get hired). You can resort to retail or supermarket work, or work at your local library (not sure if that's paid, actually). You can also do babysitting. Next year, you should apply for SYEP (Student Youth Employment Program), a summer job program for students in NYC. You get paid $7~8 per hour on that program; it ends in August, though.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
Aleesunz (Offline)
Watch This Space

Send a message via AIM to Aleesunz Send a message via MSN to Aleesunz Send a message via Skype™ to Aleesunz
08-15-2007, 11:24 PM

Hmm, I know nothing about your area dollykinz although DIY+/customization ftw <3

Try gathering some old unwanted/cheap clothes/fabrics/materiaallss etc and have a fiddle around with it :O!

Could be interesting to see thee results : D Might not be what you expected but could look cool.

./Let's Pretend We Don't Exist, Let's Pretend We're In Antartica

x~ www.lastfm.com/user/CallieBo ;p
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Mabuikoneko (Offline)
JF Regular

08-16-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaicui View Post
u from nyc? i know some spots around nyc for visual kei clothing
Really Can you tell me Where?

MoMo
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Mabuikoneko (Offline)
JF Regular

08-16-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloomth View Post
well fashion HIGH SCHOOL is definitely different than post secondary i can assure you.

a high school doesnt really care what your specific interest in the arts may be as they may want to expose you to a variety before you finish high school, thus your previous knowledge or skillset in a specific field wont be a problem- as most everyone changes their end goal a thousand times during high school. a "fashion" high school would perhaps teach you the skills you need to attend a fashion program at a post secondary level.

think of it this way- would you get accepted easily to harvard law if you had NEVER taken a single law class or english in high school? Nope.
Specific fields require specific skills.

even if you dont go to an arts or fashion high school youll need basic sewing skills to attend a post secondary institution to pursue your goal.

i have NEVER seen a post secondary arts institution that doesnt want to do a portfolio interview prior. and let me tell you, those interviews can be vicious.

As far as sewing machines go. you can get them SO CHEAPLY nowadays- dont hesitate. and it doesnt have to be some serger pro unit or anything. you can get them at yard sales and they have EXTREMELY long lifetimes and are eay to maintain. most reputable machine stores will refurbish old ones and sell them for $50 with a warranty, which is definitely worth checking out if youre serious about fashion as a career. or you can get even cheaper ones that are often sold in newspapers etc. just take the machine to a singer store or sewing machine store and they can recalibrate and refurbish it for usually $20-30 dollars.

then go to the library and read everything you can find about fashion and sewing and design. learn color, learn fabric, give yourself the best base you can get before doing this as it sure isnt easy once youre on your own.

Cool lol Im going to be taking fashion class this year to learn about color and fabric so i think i got that under control

MoMo
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Mabuikoneko (Offline)
JF Regular

08-16-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
If you want visual kei-style clothing, there are a crapload of clothing stores (mostly run by Japanese punks) in the East Village that have similar styles. Just walk down St. Mark's Place (3rd avenue & 8th street). If you don't know how to get there, take the 6 to Astor Pl or the R, W, N, Q, 4, 5, 6, or L to Union Square. Most of it is vintage punk clothes, but there's some visual styles as well. I recommend Search & Destroy (you can usually hear Shiina Ringo blasting from this store) and Trash & Vaudeville. Everything basically costs $25+. Trash & Vaudeville also has a shoe store located right underneath it, where you can find reasonably priced punk shoes (creepers, converse... uhh... I don't know the names of shoes).

But your real problem is your lack of money, right? Usually schools process working papers for students, so ask your school to give you working papers (you'll need a doctor's note saying you're healthy enough to work, and photo ID verification with your birthday on it). Once you have your working papers, go around looking for a job; I recommend waitressing (but it's unlikely you'll get hired). You can resort to retail or supermarket work, or work at your local library (not sure if that's paid, actually). You can also do babysitting. Next year, you should apply for SYEP (Student Youth Employment Program), a summer job program for students in NYC. You get paid $7~8 per hour on that program; it ends in August, though.
Hey I can do that I do know where the villiage is =] I walk past there from china town, Wow thanks for all the tips lol it comes out better when it comes from someone of NYC and know the subway line too ^-^

MoMo