JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Food (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/)
-   -   Why Chopsticks? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/10035-why-chopsticks.html)

fara7 11-27-2007 02:20 PM

Why Chopsticks?

I am not trying to make fun or anything but why do Japanese, Koreans and others use chopsticks? isn't it much easier to just take a spoon or fork and eat their food? I know this may sound a bit stupid :p but i am just curious why.

I just heard before that eating using chopsticks improves your concentration power, is that true? and are there any other benefits of using chopsticks?

Kayci 11-27-2007 02:38 PM

It may be easier for you, but not them.

:/

-

There's a story that Confucius started the idea, because he thought the knives and forks of then were too violent...

Shanis 11-27-2007 02:42 PM

I think it´s just tradition for them to use chopsticks and japan is a very traditional country^^ but for the reasen that using chopsticks increasing your concentration i´ve never heared, but it could be possible cause to use a knife and a fork is much easier and if u use chopsticks u have to have a good reaction :D

Nyororin 11-27-2007 02:51 PM

Why do other places use spoons and forks? Isn`t it a lot easier to actually have some control over the thing you`re eating than to just stab it or try to scoop it up?

Enkidu22 11-27-2007 02:56 PM

I think it's mainely becouse their food is different. Japanese food for example is very easy to eat, I mean you don't need a knife to eat japanese food becouse (in most cases) you don't even need to cut it. Also from what I know they don't like to cut or pierce food as they believe it ruins the taste (like with sushi for example, I can't imagine eating it with fork).

Slykaz1 11-27-2007 03:42 PM

I'm a finger food type person.....but I've tried the chopsticks I still haven't mastered it yet......but it does take a hell of a lot more effort than I thought.....but I'm almost there.....I can actually hold my food in 'em without dropping it.......but that's only cuz it's the bigger sized food....my next goal is smaller foods....^_^ like they say
if at first you don't succeed, try and try again. ^_^

xYinniex 11-27-2007 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fara7 (Post 310682)
I am not trying to make fun or anything but why do Japanese, Koreans and others use chopsticks? isn't it much easier to just take a spoon or fork and eat their food? I know this may sound a bit stupid :p but i am just curious why.

I just heard before that eating using chopsticks improves your concentration power, is that true? and are there any other benefits of using chopsticks?

cuz asians are raised from childhool to use chopsticks. its like a customary thing now. and secondly..WHY DO YOU CAREEE?

Kisuke12 11-27-2007 05:00 PM

They use chopsticks because that is what their ancestors used to eat with. Also, it is easier to some foods with chopsticks intead of using a spoon or fork.

noodle 11-27-2007 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xYinniex (Post 310822)
and secondly..WHY DO YOU CAREEE?

No offense, but why do you care if she cares??

NickVelvet 11-27-2007 05:20 PM

Chopsticks