JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Food (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/)
-   -   Japanese food thats vegetarian ? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/1180-japanese-food-thats-vegetarian.html)

JISE 12-15-2006 09:19 PM

Japanese food thats vegetarian ?

Im a vegetarian(I dont eat chicken or fish either)
I was wondering if anyone knew any tasty japanese vegetarian food.

karasuAkai 12-15-2006 10:26 PM

off the top of my head

there are likely to be any number of dishes involving either Tofu or edamame, i will follow up with anything i can come up with.

the link below might be of some use (theblackmoon.com)

BLACK MOON - Japanese Food Recipes

JISE 12-16-2006 01:28 AM

I love tofu... whats edamame?

Nyororin 12-16-2006 05:40 AM

I would say around 75% or more of the normal daily Japanese food is vegetarian. It`s not hard at all to find recipes. Most Japanese foods are made in smal individual dishes, so even if some kind of meat appears at every meal, it appears with multiple vegetarian dishes too. :)

Seriously, it all depends on what you want to eat, and what flavors you like. It shouldn`t be hard to find something good. I`d tell you some recipes, but there are really so many I have no idea where to start!

Gwen_Goth 12-16-2006 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JISE (Post 15406)
Im a vegetarian(I dont eat chicken or fish either)
I was wondering if anyone knew any tasty japanese vegetarian food.

exactly the same as me :D

its generally fairly easy to find veggie sushi; my fave its tamago (sweet omelette ) nigari; another good thing i liked (but i dont know the name of :( ) is rice in sweet tofu skins - reallynice ^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 15534)
I would say around 75% or more of the normal daily Japanese food is vegetarian. It`s not hard at all to find recipes. Most Japanese foods are made in smal individual dishes, so even if some kind of meat appears at every meal, it appears with multiple vegetarian dishes too. :)

Seriously, it all depends on what you want to eat, and what flavors you like. It shouldn`t be hard to find something good. I`d tell you some recipes, but there are really so many I have no idea where to start!

really? :confused: i still found it fairly hard to find veggie stuff sometimes while i was over there; maybe i was just looking in the wrong places xD
was quite hard getting them to understand that i didnt want fish paste either (my japanese is anything but good)

Nyororin 12-16-2006 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwen_Goth (Post 15627)
exactly the same as me :D

its generally fairly easy to find veggie sushi; my fave its tamago (sweet omelette ) nigari; another good thing i liked (but i dont know the name of :( ) is rice in sweet tofu skins - reallynice ^^

They`re called inarizushi. And are pretty easy to make.

Quote:

really? :confused: i still found it fairly hard to find veggie stuff sometimes while i was over there; maybe i was just looking in the wrong places xD
was quite hard getting them to understand that i didnt want fish paste either (my japanese is anything but good)
I`m going to guess this is probably because you were eating out or at hotels. I`m talking about regular everyday cooking that normal people make at home. It`s a lot different than restaurant stuff. Like, for example, most people hardly if ever make sushi at home... But eat it out all the time.
An easy one most everyone knows is tempura. 90% of the tempura you make at home is vegetarian - the "shrimp tempura" everyone knows is an eat out food. A good one that I actually made today - deep fried eggplant with a sweet miso sauce, over rice. Not a speck of meat in it.

JISE 12-16-2006 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 15646)
They`re called inarizushi. And are pretty easy to make.

I`m going to guess this is probably because you were eating out or at hotels. I`m talking about regular everyday cooking that normal people make at home. It`s a lot different than restaurant stuff. Like, for example, most people hardly if ever make sushi at home... But eat it out all the time.
An easy one most everyone knows is tempura. 90% of the tempura you make at home is vegetarian - the "shrimp tempura" everyone knows is an eat out food. A good one that I actually made today - deep fried eggplant with a sweet miso sauce, over rice. Not a speck of meat in it.

I love egglant and rice I have no idea what miso sause tastes like but it sounds delicious.

NekoChan 12-17-2006 01:51 AM

rice and soy sauce...:cool:

Nyororin 12-17-2006 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NekoChan (Post 15744)
rice and soy sauce...:cool:

Are never eaten together like that. :P Stick a raw egg in the equation though, and it works.

Yum.

JISE 12-17-2006 03:35 PM

Soy sauce is too salty for my tastes. I use the low salt sparingly. Untill I read this Soy sauce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I didnt know there was more then one type of soy sauce.