JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JISE (Offline)
New to JF

Japanese food thats vegetarian ? - 12-15-2006, 09:19 PM

Im a vegetarian(I dont eat chicken or fish either)
I was wondering if anyone knew any tasty japanese vegetarian food.

MANGA ADDICT
(#2 (permalink))
Old
karasuAkai (Offline)
New to JF

off the top of my head - 12-15-2006, 10:26 PM

there are likely to be any number of dishes involving either Tofu or edamame, i will follow up with anything i can come up with.

the link below might be of some use (theblackmoon.com)

BLACK MOON - Japanese Food Recipes

Last edited by karasuAkai : 12-15-2006 at 10:34 PM. Reason: adding a link to add substance to my initial reply
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JISE (Offline)
New to JF

12-16-2006, 01:28 AM

I love tofu... whats edamame?

MANGA ADDICT
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-16-2006, 05:40 AM

I would say around 75% or more of the normal daily Japanese food is vegetarian. It`s not hard at all to find recipes. Most Japanese foods are made in smal individual dishes, so even if some kind of meat appears at every meal, it appears with multiple vegetarian dishes too.

Seriously, it all depends on what you want to eat, and what flavors you like. It shouldn`t be hard to find something good. I`d tell you some recipes, but there are really so many I have no idea where to start!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Gwen_Goth (Offline)
addict

Red face 12-16-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JISE View Post
Im a vegetarian(I dont eat chicken or fish either)
I was wondering if anyone knew any tasty japanese vegetarian food.
exactly the same as me

its generally fairly easy to find veggie sushi; my fave its tamago (sweet omelette ) nigari; another good thing i liked (but i dont know the name of ) is rice in sweet tofu skins - reallynice ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I would say around 75% or more of the normal daily Japanese food is vegetarian. It`s not hard at all to find recipes. Most Japanese foods are made in smal individual dishes, so even if some kind of meat appears at every meal, it appears with multiple vegetarian dishes too.

Seriously, it all depends on what you want to eat, and what flavors you like. It shouldn`t be hard to find something good. I`d tell you some recipes, but there are really so many I have no idea where to start!
really? i still found it fairly hard to find veggie stuff sometimes while i was over there; maybe i was just looking in the wrong places xD
was quite hard getting them to understand that i didnt want fish paste either (my japanese is anything but good)

-~Moddess ~-

▲ ▲
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

12-16-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen_Goth View Post
exactly the same as me

its generally fairly easy to find veggie sushi; my fave its tamago (sweet omelette ) nigari; another good thing i liked (but i dont know the name of ) is rice in sweet tofu skins - reallynice ^^
They`re called inarizushi. And are pretty easy to make.

Quote:
really? i still found it fairly hard to find veggie stuff sometimes while i was over there; maybe i was just looking in the wrong places xD
was quite hard getting them to understand that i didnt want fish paste either (my japanese is anything but good)
I`m going to guess this is probably because you were eating out or at hotels. I`m talking about regular everyday cooking that normal people make at home. It`s a lot different than restaurant stuff. Like, for example, most people hardly if ever make sushi at home... But eat it out all the time.
An easy one most everyone knows is tempura. 90% of the tempura you make at home is vegetarian - the "shrimp tempura" everyone knows is an eat out food. A good one that I actually made today - deep fried eggplant with a sweet miso sauce, over rice. Not a speck of meat in it.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JISE (Offline)
New to JF

12-16-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
They`re called inarizushi. And are pretty easy to make.

I`m going to guess this is probably because you were eating out or at hotels. I`m talking about regular everyday cooking that normal people make at home. It`s a lot different than restaurant stuff. Like, for example, most people hardly if ever make sushi at home... But eat it out all the time.
An easy one most everyone knows is tempura. 90% of the tempura you make at home is vegetarian - the "shrimp tempura" everyone knows is an eat out food. A good one that I actually made today - deep fried eggplant with a sweet miso sauce, over rice. Not a speck of meat in it.
I love egglant and rice I have no idea what miso sause tastes like but it sounds delicious.

MANGA ADDICT
(#8 (permalink))
Old
NekoChan (Offline)
Meow Meow Mix Kitty Girl

12-17-2006, 01:51 AM

rice and soy sauce...

I glomp you
You glomp me
We're the glompiest family
with a great big glomp
And a glomp from me to you
Won't you say you'll glomp me to?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

12-17-2006, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoChan View Post
rice and soy sauce...
Are never eaten together like that. :P Stick a raw egg in the equation though, and it works.

Yum.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
JISE (Offline)
New to JF

12-17-2006, 03:35 PM

Soy sauce is too salty for my tastes. I use the low salt sparingly. Untill I read this Soy sauce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I didnt know there was more then one type of soy sauce.

MANGA ADDICT