JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Kiyuge (Offline)
o(≧ω≦)o

Send a message via AIM to Kiyuge Send a message via MSN to Kiyuge Send a message via Yahoo to Kiyuge
01-31-2008, 08:48 PM

What is Curry?

Family:
Husband: Aota
Wife: Kiyuga
Master: Kiyuga, IonFortuna
Sisters: Nekozawa, HinataUchiha
Borhters: Sutiiven.
Silly Side-kick: Slykaz1
Secret Lover: SonozakiSotaro

I own:
Mitsu & Hachi- Dolly
Yasu - Acid Black Cherry
Furukawa - Nookicky
KAZ - Oblivian Dust

¬_¬
(#12 (permalink))
Old
PHANTA (Offline)
manga-ka wanna be

.......... - 01-31-2008, 09:19 PM

....um... im not too sure how to explain it...
i only knew what it was when i say people eat it in anime...

i guess you could say it a spice(obviously) and if
you put it with the kind oe meat you want and some
vegetales in water them it makes a kind of...um...
stew type thing... i guess. im not good at explaining things...
sorry if im wrong
(#13 (permalink))
Old
NishiHime (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Smile 02-02-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyuge View Post
What is Curry?
I'm Indian so I can explain Curry is the name given to meals containing Indian spices. These spices are a mixture of, generally, chili pepper powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder to a masala mixture for meats made from cinnamon sticks, cumin seeds (great when roasted and added to boiling water for tea), caraway seeds (we call them "jeera"), cloves, and green or black cardamom seed pods.

You put them into meats, you stir them into sauteed onions and garlic before you add in vegetables or sauces (like squash and tomato). Their additions make the meal spicier and tastier.

For example, I can give you a recipe for chicken curry right here:

1) slice up skinless, boneless chicken, into small pieces, and wash clean in a pot of 3/4 water and 1/4 vinegar. Once washed, set aside

2) in a large pot, based on the size of your chicken, sautee onions and garlic cloves over medium-high until yellow, add in 1/2 tsp. of chili pepper powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder (make it a full tsp if you have a lot of chicken)

3) sautee all together until well combined

4) add in your chicken mixture and stir thoroughly until all chicken pieces are covered in the onions/garlic/spice mixture

5) Using a spice grinder, put in 1-2 small shaved cinnamon branches (should be no more than 1" inch in length), 2 tsps of cardamom and cloves, 1 tsp of caraway seeds. Once grinded, add on top of the chicken mixture and stir well until thoroughly combined

6) cover the pot and let cook for 20 minutes on medium-high heat; the pot will fill with the juice from the chicken. Stir every 5 minutes and check at the 15-20 minute point to see if it's cooked. Simply take one of the pieces of chicken and cut it open - if it's white all the way through, then the meat has been cooked!

7) Taste the chicken then and add salt to the pot as you wish (I find 1 tsp is enough for a small amount of chicken); stir thoroughly.

8) Lastly, if you notice that the juice from the chicken mixture in the pot has dwindled, my mom adds milk (1% or 2% - I add skim) to the chicken when done and mixes it good (just enough to create some sauce) - this creates a good chicken curry sauce (which we actually call curry as well) and when you serve the chicken curry over rice, you pour the sauce over the rice as well.

I love dunking bread into the sauce and eating my chicken curry like that

And there you have it, chicken curry.

- Nishi

~~Member of JapanForum Royal Clan of Gods & Goddesses~~
http://www.nishimusic.com
Webmistress of UsagiandMamoru.com, MiakaandTamahome.com, MaxLovely.com, PrincessIshtar.com, ArwenandAragorn.com

(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

03-17-2008, 08:46 PM

I could never have enough curry. Curry is one of the most popular dishes in Japan. My favorite is Spinich curry with Indian cheese eaten with Nan, the Indian bread. Tandoori chicken is also delicious!
(#15 (permalink))
Old
hennaz (Offline)
こんにちは!

03-17-2008, 08:58 PM

I like curry too. Indian curry is a very popular takeaway food in my country. I've tried Japanese curry rice when I went to Japan, but it is not as spicy as the Indian equivalent.

Hennaz ヘンナズ

(#16 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
03-18-2008, 02:28 AM

Curry Katsu Don is probably my favourite Japanese curry. I can't believe you guys have never had curry before! It's totally appetizing when you start, and unbelievably fulfulling to your stomach when you end!

Note: the main dish is on the bottom left of the tray, from our view.

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
greenteajunkie (Offline)
JF Regular

06-16-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
Honestly, I've probably only had Japanese curry once, at a restaurant. It tasted slightly milder and maybe even sweeter than the curry I'm used to. Certainly not as spicy as Indian curry.

As for the Wal-mart packaged curry, are you sure it was Japanese? Then again, I'm not sure if there's much of a difference between Japanese curry and curry from other countries. Still, I suppose you could say I tried curry; it's quite common in Indian, Malaysian, Singaporean, and other such Southeast Asian restaurants. I like dipping nan (Indian bread) or roti (Indian pancake) into curry. Delicious.
Yeah, i've gotten it before in the asian section at wal-mart too, and it has japanese writing all over it... plus, my friend yoshimi made it once for my family and i highly doubt she'd randomly chose an indian curry.

Perhaps stars fall, just as the rain

Until they burn on a windowpane

The grief of loss no written place

It is simply painted, on my face.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Jeshika (Offline)
New to JF

06-26-2008, 03:26 PM

I make my curry from scratch, from a recipe I managed to find online. It isn't too hard to make, and it uses easy-to-find ingredients (i.e., chicken, Potatoes, carrots, garlic, onions).

I'll have to post it in the recipe section for you guys to check out! It tastes AMAZING.

~Kokoro no Mondai~
(#19 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
06-26-2008, 06:51 PM

anyone ever hear of a manga called
'addicted too curry'??
x]
it's a rather curious one~
i believe it's worth a read, lolz

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
allie2590 (Offline)
I am the White Testament

06-26-2008, 07:27 PM

I don't normally like curry, but I've only tried Indian curry.