JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Food (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/)
-   -   What recent Japanese foods have you eaten? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/12197-what-recent-japanese-foods-have-you-eaten.html)

Tyrien 02-03-2008 06:31 PM

I randomly bought some shrimp sushi yesterday. Was meh and I didn't even eat all of it. I usually like seafood but that was just too fishy, to the point where it was almost nauseating.

NightChilde25 02-04-2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyrien (Post 387479)
I randomly bought some shrimp sushi yesterday. Was meh and I didn't even eat all of it. I usually like seafood but that was just too fishy, to the point where it was almost nauseating.

:eek: Oh Ick! Sounds like you got some old sushi to me. Did it smell really fishy, too? That's a good sign that it was old, if it did. Fresh seafood should never smell fishy or taste too fishy either.

Tyrien 02-05-2008 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightChilde25 (Post 388601)
:eek: Oh Ick! Sounds like you got some old sushi to me. Did it smell really fishy, too? That's a good sign that it was old, if it did. Fresh seafood should never smell fishy or taste too fishy either.

Nope, was made fresh that day at the grocery store at the sushi counter. It was even marked as best before feb 3rd.

MarkDuff 02-05-2008 01:23 AM

Raw shrip is good with some sauce.

Nyororin 02-05-2008 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyrien (Post 389205)
Nope, was made fresh that day at the grocery store at the sushi counter. It was even marked as best before feb 3rd.

The date when it was made has nothing to do with it - it`s the date that the shrimp were killed that makes the difference. I could make a meal out of rotten meat, but it would still be rotten.
It sounds like they used old iffy shrimp to make it. Uck. You have to eat raw shrimp VERY soon after killing them. They go bad quickly.

emiluvsjmusic 02-05-2008 08:20 AM

im having omuraisu tonight :D

Tyrien 02-05-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 389382)
The date when it was made has nothing to do with it - it`s the date that the shrimp were killed that makes the difference. I could make a meal out of rotten meat, but it would still be rotten.
It sounds like they used old iffy shrimp to make it. Uck. You have to eat raw shrimp VERY soon after killing them. They go bad quickly.

No idea on when the shrimp itself was caught. I do know though that the shrimp was cooked, at least the filleted ones. Can't say exactly for the ones wrapped in the seaweed with sauce. I might have been a combination of the sauce and seaweed I didn't take to though. I usually loveeee shrimp and I didn't taste anything wrong with the parts that were just rice and filleted shrimp.

Can't really see it being bad seafood either... it's literally the biggest grocery store chain in ontario. They can't afford to have bad food there. Wasn't exactly some corner market being run by a small little asian man who smelt like fish. I can see me being unlucky though.

Kenta21 02-05-2008 04:43 PM

I made some chicken and vege fried rice the other day.

Kisuke12 02-05-2008 04:53 PM

Chicken Ramen

Sinner 02-05-2008 05:27 PM

It looks so delicious!