JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
silveremperial (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to silveremperial Send a message via Skype™ to silveremperial
Question manners - 03-26-2008, 05:39 PM

[b]Inorder 2 drink tea in japan don't u have to take tea lessons, or just sit and drink normally?

[Naruto fan club: Ariana, narutoluvr,kiyuga,thalia4, zachart, and me!![
Bleachfanclub- [[color="Blue"]Oni, Ariana, zachart, thalia4 narutoluvr kiyuga, me!![/COLOr
ramenclub-
Kiyuge-Chan(prez), MarkDuff(prime minister), xtine, LolitaLover, Juno, eve636, KloudCat(yaoi loving kitten?), xfromwenzyoucamex, zachart, and Kaka,
silveremperial and me!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
animelover32 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to animelover32
03-27-2008, 01:35 AM

I know there's something called a 'tea ceremony' but I only think that's for some big event (like a wedding or something like that). Otherwise I think they just drink it normally.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
emiluvsjmusic (Offline)
JF noob

03-27-2008, 10:01 AM

yeah it depends where your drinking tea
you drink normally at home and with your friends and family
but not special occasions

Death Note fam & Shingami clan
JF family|Emi's Space|Haruhiism
(#4 (permalink))
Old
BakaCrisis (Offline)
(。・_・。)σ

Send a message via AIM to BakaCrisis Send a message via MSN to BakaCrisis Send a message via Skype™ to BakaCrisis
04-10-2008, 01:09 AM

Never pour your drink, Someone will pour it for you!

ヘ(^_^ヘ)(ノ^_^)ノ

Teach me Japanese (Skype: davidh053090 )
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-10-2008, 01:49 AM

Another case where a little information can be a dangerous thing.

The Japanese tea ceremony is a tradition which has been practiced for centuries. It's beauty is in its precise structure, (when you are concentrating on tea, you don't think about war).

It is studied and practiced by high school students and in local clubs all over the country.

It isn't something necessarily done at "special occasions" as the ceremony itself is a special occasion.

But normal, just having tea with friends, is not a formal event, and the tea can be drank however you like. Usually the host pours for the guests, but that isn't a law.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

04-10-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaCrisis View Post
Never pour your drink, Someone will pour it for you!

ヘ(^_^ヘ)(ノ^_^)ノ
Cute! I would die of thirst in Japan if that were true!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
YouCannotClaimMe (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to YouCannotClaimMe
tee-hee - 04-10-2008, 08:40 PM

I learned how to do a tea ceremony when I was little because my mom sent me to live with my cousin in Japan when I was four, lived there till I was 13 and she told him to send me back , but the Tea Ceremony is for special family or religious occasions. Now it's used more non-chalantly, like at special events, (i.e. school fundraisers, cultural exhibits, etc...)You can pour your own tea if you're the host in your own home , but when at a restraunt, the server pours the tea for you, or if you are a guest. It's very disrespectful to pour your own tea if you are a guest in someone's home.

If I died tonight who would remember me tomorrow?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
BakaCrisis (Offline)
(。・_・。)σ

Send a message via AIM to BakaCrisis Send a message via MSN to BakaCrisis Send a message via Skype™ to BakaCrisis
04-10-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCannotClaimMe View Post
I learned how to do a tea ceremony when I was little because my mom sent me to live with my cousin in Japan when I was four, lived there till I was 13 and she told him to send me back , but the Tea Ceremony is for special family or religious occasions. Now it's used more non-chalantly, like at special events, (i.e. school fundraisers, cultural exhibits, etc...)You can pour your own tea if you're the host in your own home , but when at a restraunt, the server pours the tea for you, or if you are a guest. It's very disrespectful to pour your own tea if you are a guest in someone's home.
Couldnt have said it better myself

Teach me Japanese (Skype: davidh053090 )
(#9 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
04-12-2008, 08:00 AM

Thank you for the insight on who should pour the tea. As a host I have always been carefull to keep guests' cups filled, but as a guest I cannot say the same for most of my hosts. Often being the only person drinking tea at meals, I often end up pouring my own rather than pestering my host or waiting for a restaurant server to come by.

I would not expect to sit thristing in an Japanese household, so hopefully this will not be something I have to remember, but its nice to be aware of the custom. In American though I frequently have watched servers come by and fill water glasses still half full, but had to get their attention to refill my empty tea cup.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.

Last edited by TalnSG : 04-12-2008 at 08:05 AM.