JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
UtakataChan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to UtakataChan
Natto - 04-09-2008, 06:41 PM

EW. This stuff is GROSS. Fermented soy beans? Basically, rotting beans... Ugh. How can anyone eat this? I think I would vomit if I tried. Has anyone had this?

From Wikipedia:

The first thing noticed by the uninitiated after opening a pack of nattō is the very strong ammoniacal smell, akin to strong cheese. Stirring the nattō produces lots of spiderweb-like strings. The nattō itself has a nutty, savory, somewhat salty flavor that belies its odor.

Nattō is most commonly eaten at breakfast to accompany rice, possibly with some other ingredients, for example soy sauce, tsuyu broth, mustard, scallions, grated daikon, okra, or a raw quail egg. In Hokkaidō and northern Tohoku region, some people dust nattō with sugar. Nattō is also commonly used in other foods, such as nattō sushi, nattō toast, in miso soup, salad, as an ingredient in okonomiyaki, or even with spaghetti or as fried nattō. A dried form of nattō, having little odor or sliminess, can be eaten as a nutritious snack. There is even nattō ice cream.

Nattō is often considered an acquired taste and the perceived flavor of nattō can differ greatly between people; some find it tastes very strong and cheesy and may use it in small amounts to flavor rice or noodles, while others find it tastes "bland and unremarkable", requiring the addition of flavoring condiments such as mustard and soy sauce. Many non-Japanese find the taste very unpleasant, while others relish it as a delicacy. Some manufacturers produce an odorless or low-odor nattō. The split opinion about its appearance and taste might be compared to Vegemite in Australia and New Zealand, blue cheese in France, lutefisk in Norway and Sweden, Mämmi in Finland and Marmite in the UK. Even in Japan, nattō is more popular in some areas than in others. Nattō is known to be popular in the eastern Kantō region (Tokyo), but less popular in Kansai (Osaka, Kobe). About 236,000 tons of nattō are consumed in Japan each year.

うたかた
Beauty & Stupid... Ah-ha-ha!
CLAIMED:
Isshi (Kagrra)
Anza (Head Phones President)
Daishi (Psycho le Cemu)
Aya (Psycho le Cemu)

Shattered Kingdom - A BSSM RPG
(#2 (permalink))
Old
zubakusugar (Offline)
A Clockwork World

04-09-2008, 06:55 PM

Ain't that disgusting really, wiki makes it sounds like a pile of poop or
something. Ok I didn't try the ones you buy in a food court when I was
there, but from a stand. And that was good. Lut(e)fisk in Sweden is like ten
times more disgusting.

"Machines have less problems. I'd like to be a machine."
(#3 (permalink))
Old
UtakataChan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-09-2008, 07:26 PM

It just looks... really gross. I'm the kind of person who will try anything once. I've had escargot, chitlins, etc... but I just am really unsure about natto. Does it smell like wiki says it does?

うたかた
CLAIMED:
Isshi (Kagrra)
Daishi (Psycho le Cemu)
Aya (Psycho le Cemu)

(#4 (permalink))
Old
BakaCrisis (Offline)
(。・_・。)σ

Send a message via AIM to BakaCrisis Send a message via MSN to BakaCrisis Send a message via Skype™ to BakaCrisis
04-10-2008, 01:05 AM

Natto was indeed an "experience" I would say it taste the equivalent as Children do to Brocolli

(*^^)/~~~~~~~~~~◎

Teach me Japanese (Skype: davidh053090 )
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
04-10-2008, 02:00 AM

I just asked my sensei about this in class last night. He's from Osaka, though, so he knows what is but it didn't sound like he's ever had it... which is funny because the girl who sits next to me is from Seoul, S Korea and she has had natto. She said it wasn't that bad, but not especially desirable... and yes, it does smell.

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

04-10-2008, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtakataChan View Post
EW. This stuff is GROSS. Fermented soy beans? Basically, rotting beans... Ugh. How can anyone eat this? I think I would vomit if I tried. Has anyone had this?
If you call natto 'rotten beans', I'll have to call cheese 'rotten milk'.

Gross? Vomit? Thanks! No wonder many Japanese don't even come near JF.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
UtakataChan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-10-2008, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post

Wow, super rude. That's why I asked about it, because I have never eaten nor seen it in person. All I know is that it sounds gross and looks gross by the picture. Cheese doesn't string up and get sticky like that.

I wasn't trying to insult anyone by stating my personal opinions on a food. I think you're a bit too sensitive if you're insulted by that. Kthxbye.

If you think that's rude, perhaps I should run around tell people they're rude because they think onions are nasty.

うたかた
CLAIMED:
Isshi (Kagrra)
Daishi (Psycho le Cemu)
Aya (Psycho le Cemu)

(#8 (permalink))
Old
BakaCrisis (Offline)
(。・_・。)σ

Send a message via AIM to BakaCrisis Send a message via MSN to BakaCrisis Send a message via Skype™ to BakaCrisis
04-10-2008, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post

Hehe, Very clevar!

(*^_^_o/━━━━━━>゚)))≫彡 ~ ~ ~

Teach me Japanese (Skype: davidh053090 )
(#9 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

04-10-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtakataChan View Post
Wow, super rude. That's why I asked about it, because I have never eaten nor seen it in person. All I know is that it sounds gross and looks gross by the picture. Cheese doesn't string up and get sticky like that.

I wasn't trying to insult anyone by stating my personal opinions on a food. I think you're a bit too sensitive if you're insulted by that. Kthxbye.

If you think that's rude, perhaps I should run around tell people they're rude because they think onions are nasty.
But its the same concept as cheese. so. he's made a valid point./

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#10 (permalink))
Old
UtakataChan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-10-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xYinniex View Post
But its the same concept as cheese. so. he's made a valid point./
But I don't live in Japan, I am not from Japan, nor have I ever been to Japan. I know that! It says it smells like cheese, not that it's the same concept as cheese. That's why I asked about it. I still think he was a bit too sensitive.

うたかた
CLAIMED:
Isshi (Kagrra)
Daishi (Psycho le Cemu)
Aya (Psycho le Cemu)