JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
UtakataChan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to UtakataChan
Does soy sauce go bad? - 04-14-2008, 10:53 PM

There is a bottle of soy sauce that we've had for a few years (since about 2005) that I have found. Does soy sauce go bad? It smells a bit off to me, but it may just be in my head. Do you think it would be safe to use? There is no expiration date on the bottle.

うたかた
Beauty & Stupid... Ah-ha-ha!
CLAIMED:
Isshi (Kagrra)
Anza (Head Phones President)
Daishi (Psycho le Cemu)
Aya (Psycho le Cemu)

Shattered Kingdom - A BSSM RPG
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
04-14-2008, 11:18 PM

Hmm... Well, given that Soy Sauce has about 430 mg sodium per teaspoon, I doubt that anything could grow in it. I bet if you shake it, it will be fine.

Dislaimer: I'm not a culinary or medical professional, so don't take my word for it. Any sickness, injury--minor or severe, or deaths are not my fault!

You might look it up on Wiki :3

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

04-14-2008, 11:39 PM

If it was made around 2005 and made by a respectable Japanese company, it should be OK. A real soy sauce doesn't go bad very easily in just several years.

However, the good Japanese grandma would tell you to use it in cooking. In other words, heat it. She would not recommend that you use it as a sushi or sashimi dip as it won't have that fresh smell.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
UtakataChan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to UtakataChan
04-15-2008, 12:10 AM

Thank you guys very much! It was made by Kikkoman, which says it was made in America... I am not too familiar with brands of soy sauce. I used it in my chicken and fried it up and it actually tasted fine. I just didn't want to make myself or someone else sick. I appreciate it. :]

うたかた
Beauty & Stupid... Ah-ha-ha!
CLAIMED:
Isshi (Kagrra)
Anza (Head Phones President)
Daishi (Psycho le Cemu)
Aya (Psycho le Cemu)

Shattered Kingdom - A BSSM RPG