JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Kayame (Offline)
I is the Ebil Fuzzy BunnY

Send a message via AIM to Kayame
Best food - 01-02-2007, 10:47 PM

I'm working on becoming a chef when I get out of highschool, and I want to learn French and Japanese type food. So I was wondering if i could have some of your favorite Japanese recipes.
Thank you

_Kayame_

"People who are alone are ignorant people who can't see around them to look at those whom stay around far after they should leave. And because of this we have formed anger that has no meaning, in which means we are nothing more then the things that created this anger. Nothing. Well I'm something!" ~Kay-Chan
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Kasumi89 (Offline)
JF Regular

01-02-2007, 11:18 PM

I personally dont have any but I do know a site that you can look at that has some for you!

Welcome to FUNiGIRLS

that should do it,i think, I havent gone there myself, so....hope it works!!!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Kayame (Offline)

01-03-2007, 10:21 PM

Thank you very much ^.^

"People who are alone are ignorant people who can't see around them to look at those whom stay around far after they should leave. And because of this we have formed anger that has no meaning, in which means we are nothing more then the things that created this anger. Nothing. Well I'm something!" ~Kay-Chan
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Meifen (Offline)
New to JF

01-05-2007, 03:30 PM

I personally really like to cook or bake stuff, and I do have a lot of Japanese recipes from desserts, side dishes to main dishes that I've collected from my Japanese friends over past years. If you can tell me what kind of food you would be more interested in, I am happy to choose some recipes for you.

Meifen
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Kayame (Offline)

01-05-2007, 10:26 PM

Hmmmm, I would like to see what there is on the main dishes if that is ok.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Meifen (Offline)
New to JF

01-06-2007, 12:43 PM

My recipes are mostly handwritten, mixed with English, Chinese and Japanese characters. Let me translate the recipe into readable English before I show it to you. Coming very soon.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Kasumi89 (Offline)
JF Regular

01-06-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
Here's an interesting thing you could try, not-your-typical, but very Japanese.
Keep watching the fish...

I would not like to eat that. I wont eat it, maby if my life depended on it, but not if it didnt.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

01-07-2007, 07:40 PM

I don't understand how that fish continues to move when it is already open and cooked on the plate ready to be served. Maybe the nerves didn't die out yet ....
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Meifen (Offline)
New to JF

Katsu Don - 01-08-2007, 01:15 PM

Katsu Don - One of the first Japanese recipes that I've learned from a friend's mom. I'm not sure if it should be called 'main dish', but I kinda consider it is. I believe it's a very common dish in Japanese food culture.

Ingredients:

For Deep fried Pork Chop

1 piece --------------- Pork Chop (around 1 - 1.5 cm thick)
2 tablespoons -------- Flour
1 piece ------------- Egg (well beaten) 1
Panko* ---------------- enough to cover the pork chop
Oil -------------------- enough for deep frying

For Onion-Egg sauce

Water ----------- 120ml
Hodashi* ---------1/2 teaspoon
Mirin* ------------- 1 tablespoon
Shoyu* ---------- 1.5 - 2 tablespoon
Sugar -----------1.5 tablespoon
Onion (thinly sliced) -----1/2 pieces
Egg (beaten) --------- 2-3 eggs

Garnish:
Green onion (finely sliced) optional ----- 2 teaspoons

Steamed rice (served hot) ----- 2 cups (Note: it has to be Japanese rice, do not substitute.)

Steps:
1) Wash pork chop and dry it completely with kitchen towel. Add enough oil into a deep-fry pan or any pan/pot whose size is big enough to accommodate the pork chop. Bring oil to high-heat.
2) Coat pork chop with flour, and get rid of the excess flour that doesn't stick to the pork chop. Then coat pork chop with egg. Coat pork chop with panko.
3) Place coated pork chop into the hot oil. Lower heat to medium-high or medium. Deep fry it until pork chop is cooked, about 8-10 minutes, and at this point the panko should turn golden color. Set aside the chop pork on a rack (or kitchen towel to drain oil).
4) For onion-egg sauce: In a seperate pan (small saucepan should work), add water, hodashi, mirin, shoyu, sugar. Bring to a boil. Add onion. Bring to a boil again and then lower the heat to medium until onion is soften, about 6-7 minutes. Pour beaten eggs evenly to the onion sauce, turn heat to medium high and continue to cook it until eggs are just cooked (Do not overcook). Add green onion and turns off the heat.
5) Place steamed rice in a bowl. With a sharp knife, cut pork chop into 5-6 strips. Place pork chop on top of the rice. Tilt the pan and carefully slide the onion-egg topping onto the rice and pork chop.

I have an image below in case you are not familiar with some of the ingredients.
*Images of Japanese ingredients

I had fun compiling this recipe. Hope you enjoy cooking. Please ask if there are any questions.

Last edited by Meifen : 01-08-2007 at 02:49 PM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Kayame (Offline)

01-11-2007, 09:58 PM

o.O scare fishy.......
And way, that one dish sounds great ^.^ Meifen. I'm going to try it.