JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Food (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/)
-   -   Japanese candy (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/16158-japanese-candy.html)

Tokyochan 06-07-2008 07:38 AM

Japanese candy

Do you eat japanese candy?... What kind?...

I think that japanese candy looks really awesome xD

Nathan 06-07-2008 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was always a fan of the Pretz lines. Their flavored pretzel sticks are very good, and just a wee bit less fattening than potato chips. Pizza, tomato, and salad flavors were always my favorite.

I'm surprised it hasn't caught on over here, given the massive health-fad that's been sweeping the nation for the past decade.

Edit: Its more of a sweet than a candy, but I am a huge fan of mochi. Its highly addictive.

CherryAnna 06-08-2008 01:09 PM

I like Pocky a lot, specially the thin ones. Many times I'd come home after a trip somewhere with my bf and we'd go to the convenience store near his appartment and I'd buy Pocky and ate it all and gave nothing to him!

BlackGreenTea 06-09-2008 02:00 PM

I love Poiful, but I can't find it anymore T.T makes me so sad!

NightChilde25 06-09-2008 02:22 PM

I've rarely met a Japanese candy I didn't like. LOL. My favorites are Green tea kit kats, blueberry pocky, salad pretz, soda candy and these:

GothicChii989 06-09-2008 02:24 PM

:D I like Bottan Rice Candy, pocky, Hi-Chew, and that little candy dispencer thing that has a picture of a cow drinking milk on it, It's blue and tube shaped. (I could never read the bottle to find out what it is)

GothicChii989 06-09-2008 02:26 PM

Blueberry pocky?!?!?! I wana try. The only pocky iv'e seen is chocolate, strawberry, and men's! :D

Tsuyako 06-09-2008 04:23 PM

The only Japanese candy I've had is pocky but I would like to try some more at some time. They look colourful and original whilst in the UK there's nothing new >.<

Tokyochan 06-10-2008 11:25 AM

What does pocky taste like?... I've never had Japanese candy before!... Would love to eat it... I'm gonna buy some soon (^_^)

TalnSG 06-10-2008 12:47 PM

I guess this is when my gaijin comes through. So far I haven't found a Japanese candy that really impresses me. I can enjoy pocky or mochi, but I can pass it up just as easily. A thin pretzel stick with flavored icing (basically what pocky is) is only as good as the icing and I would just as soon have a a good, salted western pretzel.

Now some fresh pastry is a whole different matter, as is red bean ice cream or the flavored wafer cookies that are just as common in England as in my local Asian grocery. Some places they are called waffle cream cookies. My favorite are the lemon ones.

oizumidaisuki 04-04-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackGreenTea (Post 509767)
I love Poiful, but I can't find it anymore T.T makes me so sad!

really? i eat poiful all the time here in tokyo. hmm where did you get it before?

BlackGreenTea 04-09-2009 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oizumidaisuki (Post 693347)
really? i eat poiful all the time here in tokyo. hmm where did you get it before?

Lucky! I live in the USA and I used to buy it at world food markets, but they stopped selling them!

Jcl 04-09-2009 02:14 AM

I've only tried pocky, which is okay...
The place I get them has pretz and other candies, but I haven't tried any of them yet.

Kufufunofu 04-09-2009 02:15 AM

ilove the marshmallow with the blueberry filling

Nakishee 04-09-2009 05:07 PM

oh I like rice candies and mochi.
I haven't tried that much stuff, everything I want I must buy online, but it usually comes melted...
soda candy is cool, too

FreddyLea 04-12-2009 04:41 AM

the pretz ... i have found a version in the US .. released by Pringles ... quite addictive ... esp the honey flavored ones ...

but for true Japanese candy ... Botan ... hands down .. grew up on that stuff .. my aunt always brought me a box back when she went to the market ... i still have some of the stickers and other stuff that came with them ... from back in the 80's ...

i am more of a fan of the various crackers and such though.

kMal 04-13-2009 05:16 PM

Tokyochan, did you take that picture in a toko/mart in The Hague, "Chinatown"? It looks a lot like a shop that I visited with a friend of mine.

Also, I dont really eat candy (afraid of diabetes, my grandfather had it and my father has it) but I like DANGOOOOOO! :)

ColorblindGirl 04-17-2009 01:13 PM

I found Hello-Kitty Pretz with strawberry flavor. These are great!! :D
And I really love Manju and Melonpan (bakery stuff).

kawaionigiri 04-18-2009 03:31 AM

wtf! there's someone say that there's pocky with blueberry flavour?

argggg I want to try it!!

I only can find strawberry, banana, milk and chocolate in indonesia

I think I think there's also the one with chocolate and almond

but I haven't try it

I want to try melonpan >.<

but it's very rare here.. T.T

does jellybean count in japan candy??

LOL I :rheart: it very much :D

Uriko 04-18-2009 05:33 AM

Botan Rice Candy, ew.

it reminds me of Rugby. (The glue, not the sport.)

MissMisa 04-18-2009 07:55 AM

They just released a version of pocky in English supermarkets, and there is even adverts for it on TV. I was pretty shocked, that kind of thing doesn't normally go widespread, but the guy at the check-out said he was addicted to it, and I was like :O.

Advert.

VampireGirl1314 04-18-2009 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMisa (Post 699805)
They just released a version of pocky in English supermarkets, and there is even adverts for it on TV. I was pretty shocked, that kind of thing doesn't normally go widespread, but the guy at the check-out said he was addicted to it, and I was like :O.

Advert.

that sandy looks soooooooooooo goooooooooooooooooooooooooood!!!xD

MageYuri387 04-19-2009 04:48 AM

I don't know what it's called, but my friend used to give me these candies that taste like soda and fizz in your mouth. :D

isisbathory 04-19-2009 07:36 PM

does anyone know about any online shops that sell japanese candy, one with good feedback (by the way)?

thcuteness 04-19-2009 08:17 PM

Tomato Pretz is my addiction, its like crack to me, and pocky good too.

thcuteness 04-19-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isisbathory (Post 700479)
does anyone know about any online shops that sell japanese candy, one with good feedback (by the way)?

um i normally use asianfoodgrocer.com they treated my well, and they got good prices

alanX 04-19-2009 08:36 PM

My girlfriends's best friend works in a Japanese sweets store, don't know the name, that's all I know though. I asked her what kind of sweets she sells and she sent me this:

Don't know if she took that picture herself, or just got it offline. But I have no clue what kind of sweets they are. Anyone know?

isisbathory 04-19-2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thcuteness (Post 700500)
um i normally use asianfoodgrocer.com they treated my well, and they got good prices

thanks I'm gonna check on it now ^^

DJnohara 04-26-2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyochan (Post 508172)
Do you eat japanese candy?... What kind?...

I think that japanese candy looks really awesome xD

Yeah, I really like wagashi!
I like mochi, and pocky in particular.

Undertherose25 04-27-2009 07:58 PM

I love Kasugai Japanese Gummy Candy, apple is my favorite :)

I know these are drinks but they're very sweet and I label them candy anyway:

[Okay I cheated, this is Korean Milk Soda but its so good! D:]

Troo 04-27-2009 08:24 PM

They look like wagashi, AlanX. What type exactly I couldn't begin to guess from a photo.

I'm addicted to ramune-flavoured sweets. They come in a wee plastic bottle that's shaped like a ramune bottle.

I also love the calpis flavoured boiled sweets. They have a gently fizzy centre too, and they taste identical to the real thing!

Dekavita boiled sweets are fab too, but I've not tried the drink, so can't compare.

I love lemon-flavoured shigekix, but wish the sour lasted longer than it does.

hennaz 04-27-2009 08:44 PM

I love wagashi, including daifuku, dorayaki and dango. My favourite daifuku are the green tea ones with azuki bean filling. I also like Pocky (in Europe it's called Mikado), Yan-Yan and Pai no Mi (little pastries filled with chocolate, made by Meiji).

animefan78 04-27-2009 10:53 PM

japanese candy

what kind do i eat.pocky(yum)

SaintKat 04-27-2009 11:08 PM

The chocolate and almond pocky is a personal favourite.

ozkai 04-27-2009 11:10 PM

Sugar cane sweets

Reavyn 05-04-2009 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertherose25 (Post 705165)

I am very addicted to those. Though my favorites are the Litchi and Muscat...and strawberry.:rheart: :rheart:

TalnSG 05-04-2009 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As of last night, my new all-time favorite candy is Nama chocolate!

I have never been a chocoholic, but thanks to my neighbor who works the Narita flights out of Dallas, I may become one. He has triggered a serious addiction!

kMal 05-05-2009 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalnSG (Post 709485)
As of last night, my new all-time favorite candy is Nama chocolate!

I have never been a chocoholic, but thanks to my neighbor who works the Narita flights out of Dallas, I may become one. He has triggered a serious addiction!

Those look really chocolatey, send me a box of those!!! Does it have a filling?

Kenpachi11 05-05-2009 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reavyn (Post 709464)
I am very addicted to those. Though my favorites are the Litchi and Muscat...and strawberry.:rheart: :rheart:

yes! muscat are my fav flavor of them!!! i tried others but i forgot what they were....

nobora 05-05-2009 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertherose25 (Post 705165)

I know these are drinks but they're very sweet and I label them candy anyway:

[Okay I cheated, this is Korean Milk Soda but its so good! D:]

RAMUNE >.< WOOT~!