JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Food (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/)
-   -   Japanese rice (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/17233-japanese-rice.html)

ayladakora 07-15-2008 02:52 AM

Japanese rice

When I go into a store here in the US.. what kind of rice am i to look for when i need Japanese rice?

DangerousBlackcat16 07-15-2008 02:56 AM

Long grain rice, its hard to and its not usually sold in regular stores so if theres an oriental store somewhere near u im sure they have it

ayladakora 07-15-2008 03:02 AM

But what name am I looking for. I know that there is a specific brand or two.. but I do not know what to get. I always thought Jasmine was the type to get, but i found that is not the correct type.

Nagoyankee 07-15-2008 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerousBlackcat16 (Post 536628)
Long grain rice, its hard to and its not usually sold in regular stores so if theres an oriental store somewhere near u im sure they have it

LOL It's short grain all the way!! :)

DangerousBlackcat16 07-15-2008 03:11 AM

oh O.O my bad....that guy on Good Eats lied to me =.=

okiron 07-15-2008 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerousBlackcat16 (Post 536628)

The only time I eat long grain rice is when we're at a Chinese restaurant lol.

yuujirou 07-15-2008 03:23 AM

haha....long grain rice isn't...really...what would be considered 'oriental'....
i feel long grain usually belongs too american and middle eastern cultures >.>''
for chinese and japanese cuisine though~ med and short grains are preferred (though...wonder about jasmine rice... ._.')

as for what kinda brand too look fer
if you wanna do sushi~ buy 'sushi' rice from 'california'
>.>''

everything else....
i believe my family uses jasmine rice typically for meals >.>''

Wasabista 07-15-2008 04:09 AM

Yes, SHORT grain rice. If you can find the Japanese brand name Koshihikari or Hitomebore you're very lucky (I think they don't permit export?).

Sangetsu 07-15-2008 04:43 AM

Enjoy your American rice. Most Japanese would love to get it if they could, but importing rice into Japan is illegal. The rice here is no better than what you get in America (some would argue that it isn't as good), and rice here costs between 5 and 10 times as much.

Nyororin 07-15-2008 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sangetsu (Post 536695)
Enjoy your American rice. Most Japanese would love to get it if they could, but importing rice into Japan is illegal. The rice here is no better than what you get in America (some would argue that it isn't as good), and rice here costs between 5 and 10 times as much.

I don`t know what kind of rice you`re eating in Japan, but I`ve never had any American "Japanese" rice that didn`t taste like complete and total crap. (What is that weird soapy flavor all of it has? No matter how much I wash it, it tastes like someone squeezed detergent into it.) I`ve tried quite a few different brands, all while in the US - even the expensive ones - and they all seem to have a nasty after taste or be either gushy or hardened starchy. The only time I`ve had something like that in Japan was when we ran out of rice and picked up the absolute cheapest little bag of last year`s rice that had been imported from Vietnam.

I do agree that the price of rice in Japan is artificially inflated, but there is no way I can believe the rice in the US is near the quality of the average rice here - or at least the type we eat. It may be the rice itself, or more likely a difference in processing... But that is in fact my experience.

As for the legality of rice imports - It was legal for a while, until the US violated international laws by including illegal GM rice in supposedly non-GM shipments. Now it`s not actually illegal, and you can find California rice fairly easily - but being as Japan insists on testing it very thoroughly for GM (which they seem to find at a rate high enough to make the process necessary) by the time it hits the market it is old and tastes like crap... Which isn`t convincing anyone to switch over.