JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
undeadpoptart (Offline)
New to JF

Soup in Resturants - 07-21-2008, 02:27 PM

I've heard that in Japanese resturants*, following tradition, when you're served soup you should just drink it from the bowl, even if a spoon is present. I've also heard if a spoon is provided you should just go ahead and use it. Which side should I listen to? Which option would be the most polite?

*By 'Japanese Resturants' I am referring to traditional Japanese-style resturants in America. At the moment, I have no oppertunity to visit Japan.

Last edited by undeadpoptart : 07-21-2008 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Forgot some extra info
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-22-2008, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadpoptart View Post
I've heard that in Japanese resturants*, following tradition, when you're served soup you should just drink it from the bowl, even if a spoon is present. I've also heard if a spoon is provided you should just go ahead and use it. Which side should I listen to? Which option would be the most polite?

*By 'Japanese Resturants' I am referring to traditional Japanese-style resturants in America. At the moment, I have no oppertunity to visit Japan.
If you are in a restaurant in America - chances are that most of the people working there aren`t Japanese to begin with so won`t notice how you eat, let alone care.
And if they are, I can guarantee they`ve seen thousands of people botch things up enough that it isn`t going to even register in their eyes.

As for the actual manners - for most soups, you eat the bits floating in the soup with chopsticks and then drink the broth.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-25-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadpoptart View Post

It depends upon the kind of soup and kind of bowl. Miso soup in small lacquer bowls the size of a cup are meant to be picked up. You usually eat any solid bits first with your chopsticks (mushrooms, for instance, are common in misoshiro), then you drink the broth.

A large bowl of ramen or soba usually comes with a spoon. You should eat the noodles and solid stuff with your chopsticks and use the spoon for most of the broth, only picking up the bowl near the end (if at all). You really don't want to pick up a full massive bowl of steaming hot ramen and drink from it... it's too hot, too unwieldy.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#4 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
07-31-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
If you are in a restaurant in America - chances are that most of the people working there aren`t Japanese to begin with so won`t notice how you eat, let alone care.
And if they are, I can guarantee they`ve seen thousands of people botch things up enough that it isn`t going to even register in their eyes.
I cannot imagine why you would think that an American restaurant staff would fail to notice or care about the manners of those dining in their establishment. Unless its a fast food place where most customers take their food elsewhere, not only are the staff going to notice, but so will the other patrons. And while the staff may be polite, those at the neighboring tables will not hide their astonished looks or restrain from whispering comments across their own table.

Undeadpopart, follow the advice given and if those around you find it odd, be secure in knowing that you are following traditional etiquette associated with the cuisine and those who find it odd are ignorant.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-31-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
I cannot imagine why you would think that an American restaurant staff would fail to notice or care about the manners of those dining in their establishment. Unless its a fast food place where most customers take their food elsewhere, not only are the staff going to notice, but so will the other patrons. And while the staff may be polite, those at the neighboring tables will not hide their astonished looks or restrain from whispering comments across their own table.

Undeadpopart, follow the advice given and if those around you find it odd, be secure in knowing that you are following traditional etiquette associated with the cuisine and those who find it odd are ignorant.
Lol I think you need to concentrate more on your own food if you're watching other people eat and their etiquette. I have never seen any astonished looks or whispered comments anywhere in the United States. If you're getting those looks then maybe it's something else besides whether you're drinking your soup with a spoon or not
(#6 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
08-01-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
It depends upon the kind of soup and kind of bowl. Miso soup in small lacquer bowls the size of a cup are meant to be picked up. You usually eat any solid bits first with your chopsticks (mushrooms, for instance, are common in misoshiro), then you drink the broth.

A large bowl of ramen or soba usually comes with a spoon. You should eat the noodles and solid stuff with your chopsticks and use the spoon for most of the broth, only picking up the bowl near the end (if at all). You really don't want to pick up a full massive bowl of steaming hot ramen and drink from it... it's too hot, too unwieldy.
wow really?

well then...
should prolly eat all the solids before drinking teh soup then nee? x]
and.....seriously wonder if you can eat soo fast that the soup will still be too hot too drink o.o'
i know i can't >.<

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-01-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
You`re kidding, right?
Obviously, if food is being spilled, or if it`s being eaten with absolutely horrific manners (general, not Japanese) - yes, I`m sure they`ll notice. As the original poster is actually concerned about eating properly, I very much doubt this is the case.

But you completely and totally fail to take into account some VERY important factors. This is a restaurant in the US. Last time I knew, the greater part of the US population does NOT know Japanese eating customs. Now, as the restaurant in question is obviously frequented by citizens of the country it is situated in, and is likely staffed by the same... NO ONE is going to be shocked or even NOTICE someone eating out of Japanese style. If the staff actually IS Japanese (a major rarity) there is only a slim chance they`ll notice if you are eating "properly".

I think it is an incredible waste to let the fear of messing up eating customs get in the way of actually enjoying the food. If you`re in Japan, yes, it`s an issue. But if you are in the US, where most people don`t know the customs to begin with... It simply does not matter.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

08-01-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
You`re kidding, right?
Obviously, if food is being spilled, or if it`s being eaten with absolutely horrific manners (general, not Japanese) - yes, I`m sure they`ll notice. As the original poster is actually concerned about eating properly, I very much doubt this is the case.

But you completely and totally fail to take into account some VERY important factors. This is a restaurant in the US. Last time I knew, the greater part of the US population does NOT know Japanese eating customs. Now, as the restaurant in question is obviously frequented by citizens of the country it is situated in, and is likely staffed by the same... NO ONE is going to be shocked or even NOTICE someone eating out of Japanese style. If the staff actually IS Japanese (a major rarity) there is only a slim chance they`ll notice if you are eating "properly".

I think it is an incredible waste to let the fear of messing up eating customs get in the way of actually enjoying the food. If you`re in Japan, yes, it`s an issue. But if you are in the US, where most people don`t know the customs to begin with... It simply does not matter.
yeah.......
suppose it really wouldn't matter.....
unless.... >.>'''
you eat at teppay....
where 85% of the surrounding costumers are either Japanese families or Japanese business men visiting for a local convention (usually oil or something) from Japan >.>'
and the other 10% of educated white men who actually have a hint of what's going on....and another 5% of other asians who know how too eat properly....
and...i suppose we can...just ignore that remaining 5% of the ignorants who don't belong in our restaurant >.>''
x3

(#9 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-01-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuujirou View Post
wow really?

well then...
should prolly eat all the solids before drinking teh soup then nee? x]
and.....seriously wonder if you can eat soo fast that the soup will still be too hot too drink o.o'
i know i can't >.<
Yes, the general rule is this:

If there are solids like noodles, sliced pork, tofu, etc, you eat those first with chopsticks.

If it's a large bowl, chances are they'll give you a spoon. If they do, you should use the spoon to eat most of the soup, picking it up only at the end to drink the what remains in the bottom of the bowl.

If they don't give you a spoon, they are implicitly saying "we expect you to drink it."

And yes, many times ramen is served steaming hot in Japan, so hot that it can burn your mouth! So it stays hot for quite a while when you are eating it, though usually by the time you've eaten the noodles it has cooled enough that you can pick up the bowl by the edges (the base of the bowl might still be too hot to hold, though!)

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#10 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

08-01-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Yes, the general rule is this:

If there are solids like noodles, sliced pork, tofu, etc, you eat those first with chopsticks.

If it's a large bowl, chances are they'll give you a spoon. If they do, you should use the spoon to eat most of the soup, picking it up only at the end to drink the what remains in the bottom of the bowl.

If they don't give you a spoon, they are implicitly saying "we expect you to drink it."

And yes, many times ramen is served steaming hot in Japan, so hot that it can burn your mouth! So it stays hot for quite a while when you are eating it, though usually by the time you've eaten the noodles it has cooled enough that you can pick up the bowl by the edges (the base of the bowl might still be too hot to hold, though!)
it quite obviously o.o'
your a newb x]
bwahaha
pros take it straight
who needs a bloody spoon?
the only time i use a spoon w/ noodles is when i'm having pho x]