JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Clutch (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to Clutch
Short Grain Rice - 07-23-2008, 05:27 PM

I tried to make short grain rice (the bag says it is sweet rice) today. But it didn't seem to cook all the way through. I put in about a cup of rice in the rice cooker and added about two cups of water, like how I cook long grain rice. Am I doing this wrong?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

07-25-2008, 12:18 AM

OMG That's way too much water you're putting in! That's about the amount of water needed to make rice gruel, not regular rice.

Remember to use only 10-20% more water than rice in volume. The perfect ratio will slightly differ depending on the brand of the rice. But you should be able to find it in less than a few tries.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Clutch (Offline)
New to JF

07-25-2008, 04:19 PM

OH okay I see how it is. I will try again. Now that I've got the package with me, all it says is sweet rice along with the Japanese, "糯米" (Mochikome).
(#4 (permalink))
Old
NegimaCrazy (Offline)
Manga maniac!!!

Send a message via MSN to NegimaCrazy
07-25-2008, 04:29 PM

Where did you get the rice??

Quote:
"If all you acomplish in life is making friends, then you've a good life!"
I am Matser X, the sanity destroyer!!!
->Member of Vampire club<-
Pipiru piru pipiru pi!
Visit jrock/anime and manga's new myspace
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

07-25-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
OH okay I see how it is. I will try again. Now that I've got the package with me, all it says is sweet rice along with the Japanese, "糯米" (Mochikome).
Whoaaa?

Why did you get that particular kind of rice? That's not the rice we use to make 'rice' on a daily basis. That's used to make rice cake. Mochi means rice cake! (And kome means 'rice') That rice is so-very-extra-sticky!!

Please forget about that ratio between rice and water for now. I don't even know the correct ratio for Mochikome because not many people make rice cake at home anymore in Japan. We just buy the finished product.

Let me do some googling now. (Doesn't it say anything about water on the package, though?)
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Clutch (Offline)
New to JF

07-25-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegimaCrazy View Post
Where did you get the rice??
Some grocery in the neighborhood. It is a Taiwanese grocery, but they stock some Japanese and Thai products too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
Whoaaa?

Why did you get that particular kind of rice? That's not the rice we use to make 'rice' on a daily basis. That's used to make rice cake. Mochi means rice cake! (And kome means 'rice') That rice is so-very-extra-sticky!!

Please forget about that ratio between rice and water for now. I don't even know the correct ratio for Mochikome because not many people make rice cake at home anymore in Japan. We just buy the finished product.

Let me do some googling now. (Doesn't it say anything about water on the package, though?)
Ahahahaha oh whoops;;; Nope, the package doesn't say anything about water anywhere, neither English nor Japanese.

Last edited by Clutch : 07-25-2008 at 04:38 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
07-31-2008, 08:49 PM

Wow, I haven't noticed any mochikome in our local stores. I know its available though, because the local Japan-America Society spent an afternoon showing the kids how to make traditional mochi last year.
Cultural Programs - Japan America Society DFW

That should make a nice chewy clump in the bottom of a bowl.

I wonder if you could combine it with a longer, less sticky grain and get anything better than a glob with chunks.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.