JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
daihoshi (Offline)
JF Regular

Recipes - 07-25-2008, 03:34 AM

Does anybody have any good Japanese recipes for a vegetarian?? Or even ones with meat....I can sub fake meat. XD

myspace.com/hoshidai
hoshidai@hotmail.com

They crawl in your head
They dig in your bones
If you let them, they won't let go
They have no hope
They have no soul
If you let them then they'll take yours
(#2 (permalink))
Old
sillygodxdisco (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to sillygodxdisco
07-25-2008, 03:44 AM

there's a lot of stuff you can eat as a vegetarian.

the easiest would be noodles. soba, somen, udon, ramen, etc etc. i don't think giving you recipes is necessary because all you need to do is go buy packages of those noodles and they'll tell you what to do on them.

there's miso soup. again, the package will state directions.

tofu is popular too. mabo tofu is a great dish, except it uses ground beef, but i think that you can have it without.

also curry rice is great, i think you can also take meat out of that.

i'd go with the noodles, though. i'm not a vegetarian but i live off of them.

"listen a heartless shout listen a heartless cry listen a heartless world"
.. cyclone : 12012 ♪

facebook
&
mixi

girugamesh. rentrer en soi. antic cafe. the gazette. ♥
(#3 (permalink))
Old
daihoshi (Offline)
JF Regular

07-25-2008, 03:48 AM

Sweet!! Thank you!

Also, have you ever had rice balls before?? I've seen those on almost every anime I've ever watched, and I'd really like to know where to buy those...or make them, however that works. ;P

myspace.com/hoshidai
hoshidai@hotmail.com

They crawl in your head
They dig in your bones
They have no hope
They have no soul
(#4 (permalink))
Old
sillygodxdisco (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to sillygodxdisco
07-25-2008, 05:11 AM

lmao i've been eating onigiri like every single day for the past two weeks .. my dad is like wtf is wrong with you?

anyways. if you want to buy them you'd have to go to asian specialty stores. i have two near me but neither of them have ever had any. the easiest way would be to make them:

1. wash your hands but don't dry them all the way. you want your hands wet a bit so the rice doesn't stick to your hands. also sprinkle some salt on your hand for flavoring.
2. get some rice in one of your hands. make it into a ball and then flatten a bit, then make a sort of like an indentation in the middle with your thumb or something. you can put stuff into that. i use the classic pickled plums [umeboshi]. you can put salmon, tuna&mayo, etc. whatever floats your boat. just don't put in something weird o_O
3. put a little more rice in your hand to cover the stuff. roll it into a ball. wrap it in seaweed.

the materials that you'll need [rice, seaweed, umeboshi or w/e filling] can be found at asian stores.

rice needs to be japanese rice. or at least asian. if you try spanish goya rice or something it's going to fall apart. and yeah make sure it's packed tightly. i've had mine fall apart [just today, too] because i was lazy. hehe.

i know onigiri come in triangles. but trust me, it is REALLY hard to make them like that unless you're experienced. even my dad isn't that great at it and he's had like half a century to practice. haha. it's not worth the frustration. i mean it's going to get chewed up anyway right? making it into a ball or a cylinderish shape is the easiest.

now because i'm lucky my grandparents sent me a few years ago this thing to make onigiri with .. like a container in the shape of a triangle and i just put the rice and stuff in it, then press it down with the lid. i have no idea where to buy those, but if you find them, they are great.

and oh yeah there is a way to have sushi as a vegetarian .. do like i do. put cucumbers, eggs [if you're the type of veggie who can eat eggs], carrots, etc in them. i hate raw fish too so most of the time i eat cucumber sushi. it's good. =) for that you just need to lay out a piece of seaweed, put some rice on top, put a few cucumber sticks chopped up in it, then roll it up. oh the rice needs sushi seasoning though. you can find those at asian stores too. though most of the time i'm too lazy to use the seasoning. =p you can also sprinkle sesame seeds or something on it.

"listen a heartless shout listen a heartless cry listen a heartless world"
.. cyclone : 12012 ♪

facebook
&
mixi

girugamesh. rentrer en soi. antic cafe. the gazette. ♥
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Clutch (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to Clutch
07-25-2008, 06:09 PM

Cooking Cute has a lot of Japanese/Japanese inspired bento recipes, and the site's creator marks off the recipes which fall into the Buddhist vegetarian definition or if some ingredients can be omitted or replaced to create a Buddhist vegetarian dish. I use it all the time.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
daihoshi (Offline)
JF Regular

07-27-2008, 04:36 PM

Thanks, Clutch! And thanks sillygodxdisco!! These were both very helpful. I really appreciate it. =P

myspace.com/hoshidai
hoshidai@hotmail.com

They crawl in your head
They dig in your bones
They have no hope
They have no soul
(#7 (permalink))
Old
nisa (Offline)
dancing in the rain

Send a message via Yahoo to nisa
if u'r allowed to conxume milk.. ?? - 07-29-2008, 05:00 AM

you can make matcha milk tea
1 cup

1 teaspoon matcha (green tea powder)
1 tablespoon sweet condensed milk
150 mL hot milk

I don't really like sweets, so you can add sugar if you like.
have a try

明日晴れるかな。。はるか空の下。。
(#8 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
07-29-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygodxdisco View Post
lmao i've been eating onigiri like every single day for the past two weeks .. my dad is like wtf is wrong with you?

anyways. if you want to buy them you'd have to go to asian specialty stores. i have two near me but neither of them have ever had any. the easiest way would be to make them:

1. wash your hands but don't dry them all the way. you want your hands wet a bit so the rice doesn't stick to your hands. also sprinkle some salt on your hand for flavoring.
2. get some rice in one of your hands. make it into a ball and then flatten a bit, then make a sort of like an indentation in the middle with your thumb or something. you can put stuff into that. i use the classic pickled plums [umeboshi]. you can put salmon, tuna&mayo, etc. whatever floats your boat. just don't put in something weird o_O
3. put a little more rice in your hand to cover the stuff. roll it into a ball. wrap it in seaweed.

the materials that you'll need [rice, seaweed, umeboshi or w/e filling] can be found at asian stores.

rice needs to be japanese rice. or at least asian. if you try spanish goya rice or something it's going to fall apart. and yeah make sure it's packed tightly. i've had mine fall apart [just today, too] because i was lazy. hehe.

i know onigiri come in triangles. but trust me, it is REALLY hard to make them like that unless you're experienced. even my dad isn't that great at it and he's had like half a century to practice. haha. it's not worth the frustration. i mean it's going to get chewed up anyway right? making it into a ball or a cylinderish shape is the easiest.

now because i'm lucky my grandparents sent me a few years ago this thing to make onigiri with .. like a container in the shape of a triangle and i just put the rice and stuff in it, then press it down with the lid. i have no idea where to buy those, but if you find them, they are great.

and oh yeah there is a way to have sushi as a vegetarian .. do like i do. put cucumbers, eggs [if you're the type of veggie who can eat eggs], carrots, etc in them. i hate raw fish too so most of the time i eat cucumber sushi. it's good. =) for that you just need to lay out a piece of seaweed, put some rice on top, put a few cucumber sticks chopped up in it, then roll it up. oh the rice needs sushi seasoning though. you can find those at asian stores too. though most of the time i'm too lazy to use the seasoning. =p you can also sprinkle sesame seeds or something on it.
funny thing about japanese cuisine that most people tend too omit x]

practically ALL japanese food has some form of meat/poultry/fish in it =3

you guys could prolly care less about this buutt~~~~anywhoo x]

The main stock in japanese cuisine is dashi >.>'
if anyone knows, dashi is made by first boiling water w/ a bit of kombu in it, then adding katsuo-boshi and then finally straining x]
This basic stock is used in practically everything. The su (vinegar) in shari (sushi rice), the base of most broths for noodles, yaki sauces, and Tamago (omelettes) all have a dash (or more) of dashi in it~
In Japanese cuisine~ the basis of most sauces include - soy sauce, mirin, sugar, and sake >.>''''
.....vegetarians can't have refined sugar >.>"''
since the refineries that process the sugar often use charcoal made from animal bones x]
^--little fun fact x] - beet sugar and unbleached sugar are the safest for vegan consumption x]

yeaaaah sucks too be vegetarians eh? x]

though it does involve me personally since my gf is a lacto-ovo vegetarian, lolz x.x
and i can't help but too care >.>'

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

07-29-2008, 06:37 AM

hmm....a fun thing too try out~

tama-miso =D
Get 1:1 Miso and Sugar
Combine them together well, I mean, uber well~

Get together some hard veggies~
i.e. eggplants, bell peppers, zucchini, onions, and what not
Cut them into big chunks x]
like ...quarter a thin (japanese) eggplant
or cut a bell pepper into 8 equal slices (just trying too emphasise the size cuts x] <---japanese style cooking, as opposed too westerners, who chop, dice, and julienne all their veggies before sautéing the whole lot together

In a skillet, sweat the vegetables in a little oil. Not wilted nor not discoloured, just enough too get the juices running, the colour nice, the veggies warm, and the flavour distinct.
Salt lightly, add a little mirin, and then mix in the tama-miso.
With cooking chopsticks (Ryouri hashi), blend well the vegetables and miso then plate.

oooh ooho oohh
and you can also try out "Gindara" x]

Get together some fillets of cod.
Marinate in the Tama-Miso for a minimum of 2 days.
Grill over an open flame (skin side down) until cooked all the way through.
The skin will burn, and a little a bit on the sides of the meat, but if you flip the fish over, the meat will stick too the grill, and it will ruin the texture of the fish (the meat is supposed to be extremely flaky, juicy, and sweet ALL the way through). Plate the fish w/ a green garnish, serve w/ rice, tsuke-mono (pickles), the vegetables mentioned above, and you've got yer self a mighty fine japanese meal righ' dere x]

Though I suppose for a vegetarian dish~
Get some veggies: Broccoli, carrots, tofu, and what not~
Sautee in a skillet in some oil, add just a little vegetable broth, mirin, and unbleached sugar.

or you could try...
cucumbers x]

Get some Japanese cucumbers~
Roll them in salt for a few minutes, then rinse and quarter.
Then in a brine of 1:1:1/3 Water, Rice Vinegar, Sugar
maybe flavoured w/ a bit of chilli, marinate the cucumbers for about 10 min.
Either cut them into slices and serve as in appetiser, or roll them into a maki too make delicious kappa-maki x]

Last edited by yuujirou : 07-29-2008 at 06:47 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

07-29-2008, 06:56 AM

ウワア!!!

and i just remembered! xD
you can make a great appetizer dish w/ the "chinese broccoli"
and a black sesame sauce =3

Get some black sesame seeds~
Heat slightly over a low heat in a skillet too bring out the flavour~
Ground the seeds in a mortar w/ a pestle or use a traditional Japanese tool which is a deep bowl w/ vertical incisions made into the inside circumference encompassing the bowl and a large pestle accompaniment.
Once the seeds have been ground to a fine powder, add soy sauce and sugar until you create a paste like texture.

Blanche the broccoli in water then submerge into ice water too chill and save the texture of the broccoli (if you omit this, the broccoli won't be as firm, and will end up some what soft and wilted <--not 'Good Eats').
Serve with the above stated black sesame sauce.

Makes a splendid appetiser x]

Last edited by yuujirou : 07-29-2008 at 06:59 AM.