JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
webmind (Offline)
New to JF

11-21-2009, 11:35 AM

Oh, great to see the sushi photos. They all looked delicious. Thank you.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-21-2009, 04:56 PM

Hey Yuujirou,

I've eaten tilapia a few times, not as sashimi or sushi, but cooked. It's very nice if it's done right (grilled cichlid and chips! yum!); a little like flounder or gurnard with a very mild flavor albeit the farmed stuff can sometimes taste muddy. I agree that it's not a scratch on tai though! On the other hand, tilapia IS lower in sodium and mercury and I hear a lot of people who normally dislike fish will eat it, as it's so mild and cheap. I suppose, if I'm being generous, that it could be also be an ethical alternative to some species of snapper, as only red snapper (Lutjanus erythropterus) and Malabar blood snapper (Lutjanus malabaricus) aren't on the MCS' 'Do Not Eat' list, but I'm not sure what kind of snapper is generally being dished up.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-21-2009, 06:29 PM

MMmmm!

Spicy Tuna Rolls! I used to have a hobby of traveling all over my city of Toronto and beyond to check out the spicy tuna rolls. I even owned the domains spicytunaroll.com and spicytunarolls.com where I posted my reviews.

That was around 10 yrs ago... back when they were an obscure item on the menu. I stopped reviewing them after they because as mainstream as a California or Spider roll.

There were some rolls which stood out. As opposed to the standard mayo+sriracha which 90% of the restaurants used, there were some which used ingredients like karashi mentaiko or momiji-oroshi for their kick in the pants. It may not appeal to the western palate and it may not be cheap but I thought they were awesome!

I hope Yuujirou forgives me for posting a pic in his thread but here's my current favorite. As you can see, it has more of a tuna tataki pasted on the roll - topped with a slice of jalapeno. The inside of the roll is actually a mixture based primarily of tempura bits. The light brown sauce on the left of the plate is a miso based sauce while the streak of dark brown sauce is basically a unagi no tare.

It's a huge hit with the local folks. I mean, what's not to love? It's visually appealing, its spicy, crunchy and you can try each piece with 2 sauces - not to mention soy sauce.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
11-22-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Hey Yuujirou,

I've eaten tilapia a few times, not as sashimi or sushi, but cooked. It's very nice if it's done right (grilled cichlid and chips! yum!); a little like flounder or gurnard with a very mild flavor albeit the farmed stuff can sometimes taste muddy. I agree that it's not a scratch on tai though! On the other hand, tilapia IS lower in sodium and mercury and I hear a lot of people who normally dislike fish will eat it, as it's so mild and cheap. I suppose, if I'm being generous, that it could be also be an ethical alternative to some species of snapper, as only red snapper (Lutjanus erythropterus) and Malabar blood snapper (Lutjanus malabaricus) aren't on the MCS' 'Do Not Eat' list, but I'm not sure what kind of snapper is generally being dished up.
you know what?! xDD
damn the fish!!
i'll fish them all till they're extinct!!!
because i HUNGER for quality, endangered species! =PP

and ya~ i have no problem w/ tilapia really...
what pisses me off about it is not the fish itself... but the fact that many restaurants try to pass it off as 'tai' instead of 'izumi-dai' =.='''
so basically.. when i order snapper... i expect to get snapper.... NOT tilapia, lolz
oh and... grilled tilapia??? =P
it's good~ buuut.... it's just way overdone...
because it's such a cheap fish.. most restaurants here that serve tilapia are steakhouses... and other such places w/ 'all-round' menus >.>'''
and sadly... i believe even some seafood restaurants serve it as well...
the american fish selection is basically "salmon, tuna, swordfish, halibut/flounder, tilapia, snapper, and i guess cod"
i haven't seen many fish beyond that scope being served in your typical non-sushi eatery >.>''

and as for what kind of snapper most sushi-ya serve up.....
i believe that most places that serve 'tai' and not 'izumi-dai' are serving new zealand snapper. when places get in red sea bream, they'll usually make it a point that they have 'madai' because it's considerably more expensive that new zealand snapper =P

and spicy tuna xDD
i suppose the saying goes...
whatever floats your boat =P
i'm personally against much of the flair that most people try to make w/ sushi these days~ but that's just me xD
although that bit w/ mixing in mentaiko does sound quite interesting o.O"
i don't normally add tobiko nor masago to spicy tuna.... but mentaiko sounds like it might actually work >.>'''

and i'm wondering... but....
is there mayo in that tuna?
o.O"

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

11-22-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuujirou View Post
you know what?! xDD
damn the fish!!
i'll fish them all till they're extinct!!!
because i HUNGER for quality, endangered species! =PP

and ya~ i have no problem w/ tilapia really...
what pisses me off about it is not the fish itself... but the fact that many restaurants try to pass it off as 'tai' instead of 'izumi-dai' =.='''
so basically.. when i order snapper... i expect to get snapper.... NOT tilapia, lolz
oh and... grilled tilapia??? =P
it's good~ buuut.... it's just way overdone...
because it's such a cheap fish.. most restaurants here that serve tilapia are steakhouses... and other such places w/ 'all-round' menus >.>'''
and sadly... i believe even some seafood restaurants serve it as well...
the american fish selection is basically "salmon, tuna, swordfish, halibut/flounder, tilapia, snapper, and i guess cod"
i haven't seen many fish beyond that scope being served in your typical non-sushi eatery >.>''

and as for what kind of snapper most sushi-ya serve up.....
i believe that most places that serve 'tai' and not 'izumi-dai' are serving new zealand snapper. when places get in red sea bream, they'll usually make it a point that they have 'madai' because it's considerably more expensive that new zealand snapper =P
*laughs* My uncle works for the Ministry of Fisheries so I can't help but care. His whole job is about finding new ways of farming quality fish rather than wiping out the wild stocks.

I agree that's pretty off, trying to sell tilapia as snapper. I'd certainly be pissed, especially if I was paying full price. I haven't seen that anywhere i've been eating though.
Tilapia is much rarer in the UK, so I've hardly seen it on restaurant menus. Mostly I've bought it myself fresh and cooked it. I don't think the British fish selection is much better. Standard fare is cod, haddock, salmon, trout, tuna, sole, mackerel and a smattering of shellfish.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
11-23-2009, 05:08 PM

This weekend I tried out a new sushi-ya in the area and had something new and different - not necessarily good.

The place used a slightly different version of an unagi sauce than I have ever had. It was thick, not at all like the usual thin sauce, but the same color and glossiness. (wish I had remembered my camera) At first it seemed really good, but then there was a slight aftertaste of KETCHUP! Truly odd, especially since everything else was quite good.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.