JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

Recipes that include fruit. - 10-30-2008, 07:47 PM

Well, as an avid fan of most fruits, I try to put fruit into many of my recipes.

What are your recipes, be it savory or desert, that include fruit? IT can be form any type of cuisine.

Here's a Mediterranean favorite of mine, and one I do alot.

Ingredients:

Grapes - (And any other dry skin fruits you can think of. Keep in mind, that do with your own caution, if the fruit is too sweet, the desert can be spoilt.)

Greek Natural Yogurt - (I find it works best with Greek)

Natural honey - (Without the comb)

1: Prepare the fruit, if you have oranges or any liquid type fruits that have a dry skin, be careful not to burst them. And put the fruit into a bowl.

2: Put with however much Greek Yogurt you feel is necessary. It's all down to your own acquired taste. I prefer mine with alot of Yogurt.

3: Mix the fruit and the Yogurt carefully.

4: Drizzle 3/4 of the honey onto the fruit, and mix again carefully. After drizzle the rest of the honey onto the fruit.

5: Enjoy!

A simple, yet tasty desert! Instead of honey, I've found that a small amount of sugar, or even plain works well too!

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#2 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
10-30-2008, 07:54 PM

This is one of my older notes from Facebook... but applicable nonetheless.
Ingredients:

7 oz. Chocolate (i used 53% cocoa; break down the chocolate into little pieces)
3 tbsp. Unsalted butter
14 oz. Heavy whipping cream
3 Large eggs (separate whites from yolk)
Sugar (optional; to taste)

Directions:

1. In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and the butter. Stir the chocolate until all is smooth and glossy. Turn off heat.

2. In two separate bowls, separate the yolk from the whites, and pour the cream into yet another bowl. Beat the cream and the whites until stiff peak.

3. Divide the cream into thirds, and w/ a spatula fold each portion into the chocolate. Add the next portion only after the first portion has been incorporated into the chocolate.

4. Do the same with the egg whites.

5. Refrigerate mousse for about an hour or more; store for up to one day.

*Tips and Notes*

*For those who don't know, or are not familiar with, you can make a double boiler by filling a saucer about 8/10th's full with water and placing either another saucer or bowl on top. Bring the water to a simmer over low heat, then add chocolate or whatever your going to melt. A double boiler is the best method for melting chocolate because it allows better control of heat. If you try melting chocolate w/ just one saucer, over direct heat, you will most definitely burn the chocolate.

*Stiff peak stage is when cream or egg whites become foamy and solid. In their more familiar stages, cream is like milk whilst egg whites are a droopy and slimy liquid. To achieve stiff peaks, beat the cream/whites with a hand mixer (electric is preferred, or wire whisk if former is not available) until they become stiff, and when you raise the whisk, the cream/whites form a peak.

*Folding the cream and whites into the chocolate is a way of retaining the fluffiness. If the cream/whites are stirred into the chocolate, the end result will be much denser. To fold the cream/whites into the chocolate, first, w/ a spatula, cut through the middle, and slide the spatula under the chocolate and folding it over the cream/whites. Continue doing this until all has been incorporated.

*If your chocolate is still hot when you add the cream, the cream will become liquid. This happened to me and I totally freaked out, but I kept going and it still turned out great. To avoid this, allow the chocolate to cool a little first (but be careful to not let the chocolate cool too much or else it'll harden when you add the cream.) before adding.

*After all the cream and whites have been incorporated, the chocolate might be a little liquidy. This is okay, simply refrigerate for a few hours and it'll stiffen up.

*As regard to the egg yolks that are left alone, if you don't want to throw them out, or have nothing better to do with them, you can simply add them to the chocolate. To do this, add a little salt and a bit of liqueur (optional) to the yolk and beat lightly. After you've turned off the heat (refer to step 1), and allowed the chocolate to cool a little, stir the yolks into the chocolate. If you should choose to do this by the way, take caution of two things. 1. Ensure that the chocolate is not too hot as so that it will "COOK" the yolk; and 2. Ensure that the chocolate is not too cold as so that the chocolate will harden at the addition of a colder substance. As the first is irreversible, the second can be fixed simply reheating the chocolate a little.

*This recipe serves "6" people.

*To those who make this right, beware~ This, as far as I can tell, is extremely fattening, and my sister, of whom I so lovingly tease, can't seem to get enough of it.

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

10-30-2008, 08:01 PM

Although I love the recipe, and it's going into my recipe book, do remember this is a thread about Fruit's :P

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#4 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
10-30-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post
Although I love the recipe, and it's going into my recipe book, do remember this is a thread about Fruit's :P
guess i didn't really add that xDD

buut strawberries and blueberries go great w/ the cocolate mousse x]

oh and don't forge the whipped cream xD

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

10-30-2008, 09:41 PM

I used to make a mean apple crumble. with real apples.

I forgotten how to. we don't eat desserts much in my house.

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#6 (permalink))
Old
CarleyGee (Offline)
staring at awkward legs

Send a message via AIM to CarleyGee Send a message via MSN to CarleyGee
10-30-2008, 10:04 PM

My favorite smoothie : Strawberrys and Banana.
I'm not completely sure what kind of other ingredients are added,
but you can get it at Smoothie King (if there is one by you) : D

In Home Economics, I made an apple crisp.
This was the recipe.

Apple Crisp

2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
1 Tbsp. flour
½ C. brown sugar, divided
2 tsp. cinnamon, divided
¼ C. quick-cooking oats
3 Tbsp. butter
½ C. crushed vanilla wafers

Day 1
Combine ¼ cup brown sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon, and oats in a small bowl.
Cut-in butter with pastry blender.
Stir in wafer crumbs.

Day 2
Preheat oven to 350
Toss apples with flour, ¼ cup brown sugar, and 1 tsp. cinnamon. Spoon into baking dish.
Spread crumb mixture evenly over apples.
Bake 30 min. or until apples are tender.

Help my Cause for homeless teens!
http://www.socialvibe.com/CarleyGee

R.I.P Johnny
3-31-09

http://www.formspring.me/CarleyRenee17
Ask me any question

Last edited by CarleyGee : 10-30-2008 at 10:13 PM.