JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-25-2007, 05:56 PM

Avary_Ninja - the question here was about normal miso soup. Not the "possibilities" for miso soup.

You can put anything you like into your miso soup, or into any other food out there. So can any famous chef. That`s not the point. I`ve seen famous chefs put garlic into cookies, but that doesn`t mean that it`s normal in that chef`s country of origin.
The question here is what is normal. Not what is possible. Fukahire in miso soup is NOT NORMAL.

As for the cooking - sure, you can spend 30 minutes making the same food every single day, that tastes no different than if you make it with pre-made ingredients. Or, you can be like me and take a few shortcuts so that I can use the time to focus on the other parts of the meal that do taste differently, and that my time spent makes the difference.
I`ve made miso soup the traditional way. I`ve made batches of dashi to freeze so that I could shorten the process... And then I used the bottled dashi (which, by the way isn`t the powdered crap, and costs 1700yen a bottle) and found that it tasted virtually the same.

The fact that you`ve jumped from "using bottled dashi" to cardboard box pizzas is a complete mystery in my eyes. I bake my own bread, I make my own pizzas, I even make my own tofu (yes, from the daizu themselves, not the bottled stuff.) I have fresh vegetables delivered to my door directly from the growers - they taste better.

Please, don`t jump to conclusions just because I suggested using a bottled dashi in place of 20 minutes of simmering.

As for the shark fin - it`s generally used in shark fin soup (fukahire soup) which is popular in Japan, but of Chinese origin.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Avary_Ninja (Offline)
Semi-competent Ninja

01-25-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Avary_Ninja - the question here was about normal miso soup. Not the "possibilities" for miso soup.

You can put anything you like into your miso soup, or into any other food out there. So can any famous chef. That`s not the point. I`ve seen famous chefs put garlic into cookies, but that doesn`t mean that it`s normal in that chef`s country of origin.
The question here is what is normal. Not what is possible. Fukahire in miso soup is NOT NORMAL.

As for the cooking - sure, you can spend 30 minutes making the same food every single day, that tastes no different than if you make it with pre-made ingredients. Or, you can be like me and take a few shortcuts so that I can use the time to focus on the other parts of the meal that do taste differently, and that my time spent makes the difference.
I`ve made miso soup the traditional way. I`ve made batches of dashi to freeze so that I could shorten the process... And then I used the bottled dashi (which, by the way isn`t the powdered crap, and costs 1700yen a bottle) and found that it tasted virtually the same.

The fact that you`ve jumped from "using bottled dashi" to cardboard box pizzas is a complete mystery in my eyes. I bake my own bread, I make my own pizzas, I even make my own tofu (yes, from the daizu themselves, not the bottled stuff.) I have fresh vegetables delivered to my door directly from the growers - they taste better.

Please, don`t jump to conclusions just because I suggested using a bottled dashi in place of 20 minutes of simmering.

As for the shark fin - it`s generally used in shark fin soup (fukahire soup) which is popular in Japan, but of Chinese origin.
I love you ^_^ *hugs*

Sorry for the harsh language there too.

"Men, I do not order you to fight; I order you to die". ~ Mustapha Kemal at the Battle of Gallipoli
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-26-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avary_Ninja View Post
I love you ^_^ *hugs*

Sorry for the harsh language there too.
Oh no, I wasn`t upset at what you said - I was upset that you jumped to conclusions.

I`d much rather spend 25 extra minutes on making something more substantial than dashi, that`s all. I didn`t spend all that money on a rare oven (in Japan) for nothing.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
annelie82 (Offline)
Zzzz...zzz.....zz...

Where to buy ingreds for miso soup? - 02-09-2007, 02:12 PM

Wow! You all really seem to know your stuff. Any of you talented people know if I can get the ingredients for this miso soup stuff in British supermarkets? If you know any shops in Sweden that sell them, that's ok too.

~annelie
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Thorwyn (Offline)
New to JF

Lightbulb Food and Time - 04-02-2007, 10:36 PM

Well yes to some cooking is a pleasure and worth while goal. Unfortunately not everyone has the time to cook and enjoy food as it should be enjoyed. I think when she said what she did it was to be helpful not boastful.The iron chef good show however how many people have the ingredients at hand that they do? Think you have to go with what you have at hand I would be more impressed with some who could take the norm and make it taste like the extreme.

Fall down seven stand up eight.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
The_Color_of_Obscurity (Offline)
New to JF

Location: A hole of a town so deep, you can feel the flames of hell tickling your feet
04-12-2007, 01:26 AM

wow, i wish i had the timeand resources to put that much effort and thought into the food i eat.

as for the misou, i've only ever tried a basic kind, and i wasn't too big on it. maybe it was the way the place made it, but it just seemed too...plain for my taste

Tears taste like wine and I'm addicted