JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Niyusu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Supersized Food Invades Japan - 04-23-2007, 04:39 PM

Japan's centuries-old less-is-more approach to eating -- tiny portions, elegantly arranged to feast the eye as much as the stomach -- is being challenged by an invasion of supersize fast-food, American-style.

Mega Mac burgers at McDonald's, giant pudding servings and mammoth packets of instant noodles are tempting consumers in a country whose moderate serving portions have often left foreign visitors wondering when the main course would arrive.

Source: Supersize food invades Japan, but will it conquer? | Yahoo

It would be bad news for Japanese health if Japanese people started to demand the huge amounts of food at each meal that lead to obesity in other cultures.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
YaksokuDa (Offline)
Banned

04-23-2007, 05:33 PM

Well there goes Japan's hopes of keeping the record of people living the longest.

(#3 (permalink))
Old
cocoluvnihon (Offline)
The"Kewl Otaku" one

Send a message via AIM to cocoluvnihon Send a message via MSN to cocoluvnihon Send a message via Yahoo to cocoluvnihon
04-25-2007, 03:33 AM

hahha nooo soo much for losing weight
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Abasio (Offline)
徐世普真義留

04-25-2007, 03:38 AM

About time.
It's better to live 1 hour as a lion than a whole lifetime as a worm.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
appurupaixlove (Offline)
New to JF

04-25-2007, 03:54 AM

ack. o__o that's kinda bad... well, actually it is. XD

i admired Japan for having alot of uhm... petite (? >_>) people and small clothes (cause i'm pretty damn small XD), but now i'm not sure if so much they're gonna be "petite" anymore. XD

wait, what am i saying.. ._.; enough of them are smart enough to know how to manage their own diet... right? right?? O__O

oh well.
all i have to say now is... "eww" to oversized fast food. XD

"それこそ幸せ" 
と瞼を閉じました。。。
(#6 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

04-25-2007, 04:39 AM

Let's not forget the supersized portions at Coco Ichibans Curry House. Hellz yeah!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
YaksokuDa (Offline)
Banned

04-25-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abasio View Post
About time.
It's better to live 1 hour as a lion than a whole lifetime as a worm.
...still, I'd rather be skinny than a big fat 30st blob.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-25-2007, 02:23 PM

But the thing is... The Japanese supersize is the same size as the US regular size. All it means is that now the stuff is the same size as the normal US counterpart.

I think that the big thing about staying thin here is that people DON`T eat fast food all that often. People don`t eat prepackaged foods all that often. Sure, there is a ton available, but it generally isn`t the staple of people`s diets. Almost everyone (actually, *everyone*) I know cooks their food from the raw ingredients. Refrigerators are filled with vegetables and fresh meats - freezers with self-frozen vegetables and fresh-frozen meat. Fast food is a once every 2 or 3 week treat. Not something you run to every time you don`t have time to cook a meal. That`s what take home bentos and sushi packs are for.

I never really thought all that much about it until I visited family in the US and was shocked that there was only like one raw vegetable mixed in with tons and tons of ready-made prepackaged full-of-preservatives food in the refrigerator, freezer, and cabinet.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
cocoluvnihon (Offline)
The"Kewl Otaku" one

Send a message via AIM to cocoluvnihon Send a message via MSN to cocoluvnihon Send a message via Yahoo to cocoluvnihon
04-25-2007, 02:40 PM

hmm good point but at the same time we're *americans always complaining about our weight trying to find FAST solutions to lose weight but yet we still want that midnight snack at the end of the day!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Abasio (Offline)
徐世普真義留

04-25-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaksokuDa View Post
...still, I'd rather be skinny than a big fat 30st blob.
Well yeah but the impact of western food on the Japanese body is clear when you see a generation of old decrepit people stooped over at nearly a 90 degree angle but people who have been brought up on a more balanced diet of Japanese & western food look fit & strong! Time will tell but you don't see many
big fat lardos over here.