JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
timushi (Offline)
OH MY GOD SLASH BUDDAH!

Send a message via AIM to timushi
misou? - 01-24-2007, 05:40 PM

i heard that misou soup was made with shark fin is that true?? because im not sure how i feel about eating shark...eventhough i did eat it

haha

timushi

Do you have to leave so soon? I was just about to poison the tea...
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Vesperd (Offline)
Sit back and Chill.. :]

01-24-2007, 05:47 PM

Shark aint no better than eating fish, but no i think it comes in many different flavours, shark could be one of them

2006 - Japanforum, remember it.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
musashi (Offline)
Is throwing the apples...

Send a message via AIM to musashi
01-24-2007, 06:34 PM

is misou soup the stuff they serve at the Hibachi bar...? I LOVE THAT STUFF! It is so amazing! Who the *insert bad word of choice here* cares what its made of!?! anyway...i'm done...

Love you, but not as much as i love me,
Musashi

If love is stupid, then I stupid you!

An Apple A Day Keeps Anyone Away If You Throw It Hard Enough...
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Avary_Ninja (Offline)
Semi-competent Ninja

01-25-2007, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timushi View Post
i heard that misou soup was made with shark fin is that true?? because im not sure how i feel about eating shark...eventhough i did eat it

haha

timushi
No. Miso soup is made with Miso. Miso is a fermented soybean paste. The soup is made by dropping Miso in dashi, and in some recipes, wakame seaweeds and tofu. Dashi itself is a broth made of Kombu seaweed and kastuoboshi (dried bonito flakes).

You could add shark fin to your Miso soup if you want, but that is not a basic ingredient.

I know, beacause I make my own Miso soup at home. From scratch no less. I love cooking and I'm good at it.

"Men, I do not order you to fight; I order you to die". ~ Mustapha Kemal at the Battle of Gallipoli
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Kasumi89 (Offline)
JF Regular

01-25-2007, 01:43 AM

wow, you like to cook too1 llz, I like cooking to but I dont get to that much, can you send me intructions on how to make it? I might be able to get a friend of mine to cook it, she is super at cooking
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Avary_Ninja (Offline)
Semi-competent Ninja

01-25-2007, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasumi89 View Post
wow, you like to cook too1 llz, I like cooking to but I dont get to that much, can you send me intructions on how to make it? I might be able to get a friend of mine to cook it, she is super at cooking
Sure, no problem. Here's how you do it.

First gather these things :

1 sheet Kombu seaweed
150g Katsuobushi (bonito flakes)
1 handful Wakame
2 1/2 tablespoon Red Miso

Prepare the Dashi like so :

In a pot boil the sliced kombu in 800 ml water;
Remove the kombu;
Mix in the bonito flakes and let simmer until the flakes all sink to the bottom;
Strain the water and you've got your broth!

That only take 15 minutes. With your Dashi ready, get on with the Miso soup :

Hydrate Wakame in warm water for 5 minutes and then chop it up in fine slices;
Heat 450 ml of Dashi in a pot and add the Wakame;
Let boil for 2 minutes;
Pour 1 spoonful of Dashi in a separate bowl and mix in Red Miso until liquified;
Add contents of the bowl to the broth;
Let it boil 2 minutes and remove from heat.

There you go : Delicious Miso Soup in less than 30 minutes! Serve along with sushi, vegetable tempura, and white rice, sake and green tea.

"Men, I do not order you to fight; I order you to die". ~ Mustapha Kemal at the Battle of Gallipoli
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Kasumi89 (Offline)
JF Regular

01-25-2007, 03:15 AM

wow! thanx, I think I could even make this even though Im a amiture chef, I will try it soon, thank you ever so much!!!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-25-2007, 03:30 AM

I have never even once in my life heard of shark fin in Miso soup. That would have to be about the most wasteful thing anyone could do.

Shark fin is a Chinese delicacy. Miso soup is an everyday Japanese food. It would be like... like... tossing caviar into your macaroni and cheese.
In other words, something that wouldn`t happen - plus it`s two different types of food. Japanese and Chinese.

So... Don`t put shark fin in your miso soup. Use it with the type of food it`s meant for.

For an easier way to make miso soup - If you`re taking 30 minutes to make it... wow, you spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I can whip mine up in less than 5.

Almost all red miso has the dashi (soup base) in it already. Just dissolve it in boiling water to your taste. If you have white miso without soup base in it, pour normal fish based soup stock into hot water until you can taste it, but it tastes a bit thin for soup. Then dissolve the white miso. Toss some sliced green onions and tofu in, boil for 3 or 4 minutes, and you`re done.

Trust me, making the dashi from kombu and bonito flakes is a lot of trouble and hardly anyone does it anymore.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Avary_Ninja (Offline)
Semi-competent Ninja

01-25-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I have never even once in my life heard of shark fin in Miso soup. That would have to be about the most wasteful thing anyone could do.

Shark fin is a Chinese delicacy. Miso soup is an everyday Japanese food. It would be like... like... tossing caviar into your macaroni and cheese.
In other words, something that wouldn`t happen - plus it`s two different types of food. Japanese and Chinese.

So... Don`t put shark fin in your miso soup. Use it with the type of food it`s meant for.
You obviously haven't seen Iron Chef Japanese Rokusaburo Michiba at work. Not only did he put shark fin in miso soup, he also regularly uses liberal amounts of foie gras, truffles and caviar in his cooking although they are staples of french cuisine. Once the basic Miso is done there is no restriction on getting creative. Hiroyuki Sakai relies heavily on Japanese and Chinese ingredients and techniques in his French cuisine. Masaharu Morimoto also oversteps culinary boundaries in his quest for delicious dishes. Try new and exciting flavor combinations.

Quote:
For an easier way to make miso soup - If you`re taking 30 minutes to make it... wow, you spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I can whip mine up in less than 5.
I can even be faster. Just use instant miso soup packets. Just add hot water and voilà. Or just open a can. And if you're hungry for pizza go to Wal-Mart and buy a frozen cardboard pizza that tastes like shit, you'll get the same result. Personaly I make my own pizza from scratch using fresh ingredients. I make my own dough, my own sauce, grate the cheese myself and I enjoy watching the pizza bake in the oven, drooling in anticipation. And when I eat it, it's much more delicious because not only is it entirely fresh, but I have the satisfaction of accomplishing something and the people I cook for can see and taste the difference.

Quote:
Almost all red miso has the dashi (soup base) in it already. Just dissolve it in boiling water to your taste. If you have white miso without soup base in it, pour normal fish based soup stock into hot water until you can taste it, but it tastes a bit thin for soup. Then dissolve the white miso. Toss some sliced green onions and tofu in, boil for 3 or 4 minutes, and you`re done.

Trust me, making the dashi from kombu and bonito flakes is a lot of trouble and hardly anyone does it anymore.
Food isn't just something to shove down into your stomach so you don't die. If it were, we'd be eating shit without a second thought. Or microwave ready-made meals, but I repeat myself. Humans do not eat to live, they live to eat. Food is life and cooking is an art. The most successful and useful art at that. With cooking you can reach and please all the senses, making it the ultimate form of art.

The whole process of cooking is a joy. Researching recipes. Going to the market to select fresh ingredients, paying care to the freshness, texture, color, smell, shape and form. Keeping the kitchen clean and spotless. Sharpening your blades and wiping the cutting board. Chopping up, slicing, dicing, mincing and setting aside in little bowls for later use. Mixing the eggs and flour, kneading the dough and cutting out the ravioli shapes. Cooking, baking, frying and boiling at just the right temperature. Serving in plates or bowls chosen for the way they enhance presentation. Setting a table, getting the lighting and atmosphere right for the enjoyment of food. Sharing the meal with friends and family over the perfect wine, sake, or tea.

This is all worth spending a lot of time in the kitchen. Cooking from scratch using fresh ingredients. This is why I make my own bread. I make my own pasta. My own pizza. My own sushi. My own Miso soup. My own curry. My own szechuan soup and so on... It's much more delicious and enjoyable.

(#10 (permalink))
Old
timushi (Offline)
OH MY GOD SLASH BUDDAH!

Send a message via AIM to timushi
01-25-2007, 05:04 PM

wow what did i start?? lol o well i like a little debate...soo if sharkfin isn't in misou isnt it in something else famoulsy Japanese?? i could swear it is...and if not o well this isn't the first time ive been wrong

haha keep up the debate guys its pretty interesting!!!

timushi

Do you have to leave so soon? I was just about to poison the tea...