JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Food (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/)
-   -   Konnyaku~ (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/20557-konnyaku%7E.html)

Kakeru 11-03-2008 08:11 PM

Konnyaku~

Hello everyone! Kakeru here; brand new and this is my first post ever =3.

So down to the nitty gritty....I got these amazing Japanese cookbooks for my recent birthday and there's this cubed chicken stew that involves konnyaku. Now, I live in a city where Asian goods are really~ hard to get and I'm too broke to order the health jelly over the Internet. Does anyone think it'll affect the stew if I DON'T use it??

yuujirou 11-03-2008 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kakeru (Post 620753)
Hello everyone! Kakeru here; brand new and this is my first post ever =3.

So down to the nitty gritty....I got these amazing Japanese cookbooks for my recent birthday and there's this cubed chicken stew that involves konnyaku. Now, I live in a city where Asian goods are really~ hard to get and I'm too broke to order the health jelly over the Internet. Does anyone think it'll affect the stew if I DON'T use it??

why don't you try it and see first?
i personally don't think the konnyaku adds all that much flavour
but serves more as a textural contrast

kenmei 11-03-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuujirou (Post 620791)
why don't you try it and see first?
i personally don't think the konnyaku adds all that much flavour
but serves more as a textural contrast

exactly, it'll thicken it up more than anything..

sushidushi 11-03-2008 10:41 PM

Indeed. Konnyaku has very little flavour of its own, but it's delicious when simmered with soy sauce and so on. I find it difficult to get hold of it, too, except as shirataki noodles, but it's worth it if you can. Not sure that there's any obvious substitute for konnyaku.

yuujirou 11-03-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sushidushi (Post 620865)
Indeed. Konnyaku has very little flavour of its own, but it's delicious when simmered with soy sauce and so on. I find it difficult to get hold of it, too, except as shirataki noodles, but it's worth it if you can. Not sure that there's any obvious substitute for konnyaku.

just how many japanese ingredients even have what can be considered "sufficient" substitutes? >.>''

*imo, honey/sugar is not a substitute for mirin; nor are lime and lemons for yuzu*
>.>'''

kenmei 11-03-2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuujirou (Post 620873)
just how many japanese ingredients even have what can be considered "sufficient" substitutes? >.>''

*imo, honey/sugar is not a substitute for mirin; nor are lime and lemons for yuzu*
>.>'''

have to agree 100% here

they have similarities, but they are so different. unique in a sense that the taste/flavor cannot be replicated..

especially yuzu...i love yuzu, nothing can compare to it :rheart: :rheart:

i'm still pondering taking orders for JF'ers who need/want japanese ingredients/goods as a business or something :p

0Kurisu0 11-03-2008 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenmei (Post 620888)
i'm still pondering taking orders for JF'ers who need/want japanese ingredients/goods as a business or something :p

I think it would be a GREAT business xDDDD

kenmei 11-03-2008 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0Kurisu0 (Post 620892)
I think it would be a GREAT business xDDDD

it'll be expensive to send out things like ramune which are very popular...almost not worth it, unless you're rich :D

here in california we have almost everything available @ japanese supermarkets here. not too much different from japan. i feel kinda bad that others don't have the same opportunity.

Kakeru 11-04-2008 05:16 PM

Ah all such great suggestions. Thanks everyone. I'm going to try making the stew without the Konnyaku then the next time I go to Denver pick some up along with lot's of other things. The only great find I've made so far here is azuki beans.

Mirin is called for in like all these recipes! I have to order that soon, but I haven't tried yuzu yet. Ramune....we found that on a class trip and drank it like water. It's good I suppose.

yuujirou 11-04-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenmei (Post 620896)
it'll be expensive to send out things like ramune which are very popular...almost not worth it, unless you're rich :D

here in california we have almost everything available @ japanese supermarkets here. not too much different from japan. i feel kinda bad that others don't have the same opportunity.

luckily x]
here in houston
we have "ONE" japanese supermarket >.>''
who regularly import from san diego, san fran, and japan xD

sadly.... we only have one =.=''.... (in the entire expanse of houston)
and countless chinese/american markets selling crud like the artificially produced "soya"
sauce

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kakeru (Post 621283)
Ah all such great suggestions. Thanks everyone. I'm going to try making the stew without the Konnyaku then the next time I go to Denver pick some up along with lot's of other things. The only great find I've made so far here is azuki beans.

Mirin is called for in like all these recipes! I have to order that soon, but I haven't tried yuzu yet. Ramune....we found that on a class trip and drank it like water. It's good I suppose.

Personally, the main fun of Ramune is the novelty of the bottle more than anything else. The drink itself is... just a 'meh' >.>''' nothing special really.

And... good luck getting some fresh yuzu xD
I believe Yuzu concentrate is kinda expensive....
and to find it fresh in the states....is.... almost unimaginable >.>''
Although my boss DOES grow Yuzu in his backyard xD
*The aroma released from the zest of freshly peeled yuzu is simply FANTASTIC!*

hope your stew goes well btw x]