JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Food (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/)
-   -   How do you eat your white rice? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/21548-how-do-you-eat-your-white-rice.html)

MMM 12-12-2008 07:27 PM

How do you eat your white rice?

Different people have different ways of eating their white rice. How do you do it?

Arikado 12-12-2008 07:40 PM

If I'm having stir fry with my rice (which I usually am), I like to put the sauce from the dishes on top. Mmmm, makes it tasty.

xYinniex 12-12-2008 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arikado (Post 643779)
If I'm having stir fry with my rice (which I usually am), I like to put the sauce from the dishes on top. Mmmm, makes it tasty.

Thats what we do at home
But at uni, its mixed rice or egg rice. XD

Uriko 12-12-2008 07:54 PM

i eat my rice plain..just like pretty much everything else that i eat.

MMM 12-12-2008 07:54 PM

I sometimes like putting a raw egg over a bowl of steaming white rice.

Arikado 12-12-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 643789)

Whoa, does the rice...sort of cook it a bit, or does it still taste raw? Something about raw egg I can't keep down very well. Must be the texture...

xYinniex 12-12-2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 643789)

*hi5* I do that, but whilst its in my rice cooker, so when i mix it, it cooks the egg sorta. =D

of course it won't be as cooked as the ones you get in the chinese egg rice rice, none the less yummy.

cridgit001 12-12-2008 08:10 PM

Just plain, I enjoy the ability to shovel it in without worrying about getting egg on the person next to me.

MMM 12-12-2008 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arikado (Post 643791)
Whoa, does the rice...sort of cook it a bit, or does it still taste raw? Something about raw egg I can't keep down very well. Must be the texture...

It cooks it a little bit, but it is mostly raw. Raw egg appears quite bit in Japanese cuisine.

Arikado 12-12-2008 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 643834)
Raw egg appears quite bit in Japanese cuisine.

I know, that's why I'm a bit picky about my Japanese food. Hell, I'm even afraid to eat raw fish on sushi. I have yet to try it, but everyone says it tastes the best. Maybe I will try it...

RoninDistance 12-12-2008 09:55 PM

I usually pour some beans or stewed beef on top. An egg is fine too. :D

kiyuga 12-12-2008 10:22 PM

I do all of the above! Why wasn't that a choice?
Eggs are very tasty in rice! Yummy!

MissMisa 12-12-2008 10:31 PM

Plain. Everyone things I'm pretty much a weirdo because I'll sit and eat a bowl of rice for breakfast dinner and tea if I want to, lol. My ex used to always bring rice home for my dinner when he went to town haha :p

emiluvsjmusic 12-12-2008 11:05 PM

I usually eat it plain but occasionally I use furikake or a bit of umeboshi

crazyviking 12-12-2008 11:11 PM

i like curry sauce and ginger sauce on my rice with little fried ramen mixed in it.:vsign:

xkaix 12-12-2008 11:21 PM

Rice :D.... Well I like my rice plain... or with soy sauce and vinegar sauce that has pepper and garlic :] it`s...good. :D

allie2590 12-12-2008 11:39 PM

I usually put soy sauce on it. :D

CarleyGee 12-13-2008 12:12 AM

I like Gravy of some sort.
Or Cream of Chicken or Cream of something else.
forgot what it was... but I like it plain too.

Aota 12-13-2008 12:41 AM

When I have only rice, I like to put soy sauce and pepper in mine. Otherwise, it's rice topped with ramen.

xYinniex 12-13-2008 12:51 AM

OH OH,
bolognase and fried egg on top of that with rice is nice too.
Its like £1.20 for a massive bowl of that in cafe de coral in hong kong *drools*

tocrayzay 12-13-2008 12:54 AM

this isn't japanese this is from the backwoods of virginia (where my dads from)
with sugar and butter
oh yeah i like to use either a spoon, a fork, or chopsticks

reihiino 12-13-2008 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tocrayzay (Post 644020)
this isn't japanese this is from the backwoods of virginia (where my dads from)
with sugar and butter
oh yeah i like to use either a spoon, a fork, or chopsticks

Never heard of eating it with sugar, butter yes.

I prefer mine plain. or in a carne asada burrito...muy rico.

Basmati rice usually my fave, if I dont get it plain then I get the vegetable biryani or lemon rice.

tocrayzay 12-13-2008 02:55 AM

yeah i get that a lot, i also eat my grits with sugar and butter (ok i don't eat grits anymore the texture has started to bother me), and one of my friends thought it was the grossest thing ever
sorry for getting off topic

mangafreak 12-13-2008 03:08 AM

Hmm, this will probably sound gross, but it is fun to put ketchup on it! I have ketchup with about 55% of the foods I eat. My friend thought it was extremely bizarre when I had ketchup on my scrambled eggs in the morning when she came over. I really don't know why.:quesballoon:

Miyavifan 12-13-2008 03:20 AM

usually as a part of rice hotdish. (with tomato soup, vegetable soup, peas, hamburger and of course the rice)

once I had it plain.

Nagoyankee 12-13-2008 03:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mangafreak (Post 644076)
Hmm, this will probably sound gross, but it is fun to put ketchup on it! I have ketchup with about 55% of the foods I eat. My friend thought it was extremely bizarre when I had ketchup on my scrambled eggs in the morning when she came over. I really don't know why.:quesballoon:

You may actually have a Japanese kind of a taste bud, then! Many of us Japanese like to put ketchup on our scrambled eggs for breakfast.

With rice, we have a dish called "chicken rice" that you wil probably enjoy eating. Stir fry chopped onions and small pieces of chicken (or left-over ham). Add rice (preferably cold) and continue to stir-fry until everything is scorching hot. Then add ketchup and stir well until the all the rice is evenly ketchup-colored. Easy as that.

If you wrap the chicken rice in an omelet, you will have an "Omu-raisu", another Japanese favorite.

Pics of Omu-Raisu and Chiken Rice.

tocrayzay 12-13-2008 03:59 AM

i've always wanted to try that....

and ketchup goes with just about everything, i grew up eating it on noodles

reihiino 12-13-2008 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangafreak (Post 644076)
My friend thought it was extremely bizarre when I had ketchup on my scrambled eggs in the morning when she came over. I really don't know why.:quesballoon:

rice & ketchup...wonder how that tastes...*runs off to the kitchen...
i always put ketchup or Tabasco (green tabasco is my ultimate favorite) on my eggs...i cant really eat them plain...kinda bother me a bit

wilsontheterrible 12-13-2008 06:08 AM

Black beans and rice all the way :vsign:

But in absence of pure cuban awesome I suppose some tobasco will do, as long as its spicy. Although in absence of both cuban awesome and tobasco (a travesty in itself) I have eaten plain rice.

HikaruTwin 12-13-2008 07:52 AM

Well I eat it very simply. Just plain with a fork.

MMM 12-13-2008 08:04 AM

I wonder if people are aware at how horrified Japanese people get when they see people pour soy sauce on their rice.

Nagoyankee 12-13-2008 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 644173)
I wonder if people are aware at how horrified Japanese people get when they see people pour soy sauce on their rice.

Thanks, MMM, for mentioning it! When I first saw people do that in a Japanese restaurant in the U.S., I almost fainted. Hope the JF members never do that if they ever are invited to meals at Japanese homes. Your hosts will go "Kya~~:eek: :eek: :eek: " No exaggeration! :D

MMM 12-13-2008 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagoyankee (Post 644178)
Thanks, MMM, for mentioning it! When I first saw people do that in a Japanese restaurant in the U.S., I almost fainted. Hope the JF members never do that if they ever are invited to meals at Japanese homes. Your hosts will go "Kya~~:eek: :eek: :eek: " No exaggeration! :D

I have gone to Japanese restaurants in the US and see people do all kinds of crazy stuff.

Just last week I saw a guy order a bowl of ramen. He then took a fork and put all of the ice from his ice water in the bowl. He then took the pepper and shook that for about 10 seconds. Then a good 1/3 bottle of soy sauce only to top it off with a healthy pour of hot oil.

If I were the chef and had seen that, I would have punched him in the head.

I have also seen couples eat sushi and use nearly a whole (6oz?) bottle of soy sauce. If I use more than a small pour I am feeling a sodium induced heart -attack.

tocrayzay 12-13-2008 09:45 AM

i avoid using soy sauce myself at all costs if its already in food i'm getting fine but its soooo salty *shakes with wonder at people who can take a lot*

Nagoyankee 12-13-2008 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 644181)
I have also seen couples eat sushi and use nearly a whole (6oz?) bottle of soy sauce. If I use more than a small pour I am feeling a sodium induced heart -attack.

No wonder Kikkoman U.S.A. makes greater profits than General Motors these days...;)

Nyororin 12-13-2008 10:18 AM

That`s impossible for me to answer, as pretty much the only way I NEVER eat it is with soy sauce on it...

Unless, of course, I was eating sashimi and I let it touch the rice so that any drips went there instead of the table/elsewhere.

MMM 12-13-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 644193)
That`s impossible for me to answer, as pretty much the only way I NEVER eat it is with soy sauce on it...

Unless, of course, I was eating sashimi and I let it touch the rice so that any drips went there instead of the table/elsewhere.

Then you eat it plain...like most people in Japan, right?

MissMisa 12-13-2008 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 644173)

I was going to express how weird it was to do that but I didn't want to sound like a noob. I thought soy sauce was for noodles...

Nyororin 12-13-2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 644194)
Then you eat it plain...like most people in Japan, right?

Unless I put furikake on it, or put an egg on it, or do ochazuke... Or... Need I go on?

Kajitsu 12-13-2008 04:06 PM

Soy sauce on white rice is a guilty pleasure of mine. =/ It takes the dryness of left-over rice away. I'd never eat it with soy sauce in Japan, though!

I like it plain most of the time.