JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
vivideyecrystal (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to vivideyecrystal Send a message via Skype™ to vivideyecrystal
Japanese food for the tame and unadventurous. - 01-31-2007, 11:57 AM

Help!

I love Japan. I study the language and culture at university and I thoroughly enjoy doing so, but I have a problem: I am an extremely picky eater. I don't eat fish or any meat that isn't chicken or beaf and I'm not fond of miso.

I do intend to live in Japan for a while sometime in the future, but people seldom miss the chance to laugh at me when I tell them that I don't eat Japanese food.

"How will you survive over there? You can't eat rice and noodles all of the time," they tell me.

I want to try some Japanese food, but am unsure what to order at a restaurant. Would there be anything on the menu that a picky eater like me might be able to eat?

Anybody have any suggestions?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Gwen_Goth (Offline)
addict

01-31-2007, 12:58 PM

aww dont worry too much - japanese food isnt as narrow variety as we see here

Im like you; im vegetarien ; no meat at all and no fish! also im picky about what vegetables i eat!

i didnt have too much of a problem finding food in japan; as i said theres alot more variety over there than what we see in resurants over here.

you'll find that there are actually alot of japanese food that will cater to your tastes; beef is very popular in japan

also there are more forien resurants in tokyo especially - so no problems finding food to your own tastes - we found a pancake house in harajuku and a indian in roppongi ^^

as for trying things over here....

try vegetarien sushi (i love it) and also you can get beef sushi
vegetable terriyaki (cant spell TT_TT)
umm i had more ideas but i forgot, sorry!

miso is an aquired taste, but it does grow on you! (i like it now - i also didnt at first)

hope that was helpful; good luck! ^^

-~Moddess ~-

▲ ▲
(#3 (permalink))
Old
vivideyecrystal (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to vivideyecrystal Send a message via Skype™ to vivideyecrystal
02-12-2007, 11:45 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to try them out. I don't know about any kind of sushi though - even without raw fish, I'm still kind of hesitant to eat seaweed!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tolbarizhei (Offline)
is lost without you!

Send a message via ICQ to Tolbarizhei Send a message via AIM to Tolbarizhei Send a message via MSN to Tolbarizhei Send a message via Yahoo to Tolbarizhei
02-15-2007, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivideyecrystal View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to try them out. I don't know about any kind of sushi though - even without raw fish, I'm still kind of hesitant to eat seaweed!
ah dont worry about the seaweed, its quite yummy. the best one to try that a lot of my friends enjoy would def. be the california roll.. i forget whats in it but i think its fish free. see if you can find a japanese restaurant near you actually, i am lucky enough to have 4 that i can think of off the top of my head

there is one true love in my life.. and sadly it will be fate that will have to hold us together
the light will continue to shine for all..
Fratello, may the angels bless you on the way throughout eternity
(#5 (permalink))
Old
PrinceOfRavens (Offline)
New to JF

02-15-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivideyecrystal View Post
Seaweed is where it's at. You just don't understand.