JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

Slaughtering Japanse Meals - 02-20-2009, 09:51 PM

I have a friend from Japan who is a sushi chef here in the US. She has some great stories of how some (a small %) of customers have a unique way of eating.

One couple who come often to the sushi bar use nearly an entire bottle of soy sauce every time the come. They fill their soy sauce bowls to the brim, grab a piece of sushi, place it in the dish, chat for a few moments while the rice soaks up the soy sauce and then eat.

I have some more stories. Does anyone else have any?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-20-2009, 10:04 PM

Oh DEAR GOD! That is hilarious but extremely embarrassing (Because they're so unaware). If it's quality sushi than you should eat it as is, or apparently you don't like Sushi you like Soy sauce.

My girlfriend also enjoys dousing her rice in soy sauce.

When I was in Hiroshima I ate Okonomiyaki... I didn't really slaughter the way the meal is eaten but I didn't enjoy it ... but I couldn't throw it out because all the while I was having a conversation with the chef!

Needless to say I ate it and then had to excuse myself to purge the demons.

(Could be the combination of noodles and that damn Japanese mayo.)
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

02-20-2009, 10:07 PM

Soaking in a pool of soy sauce? That sounds disgusting.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
cridgit001 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to cridgit001
02-20-2009, 10:07 PM

Should be drawn and quartered....jk

I realize that there is a certain way to eat foods, and if one chooses to go against unwritten protocol then that's their preference. It's like if you go to Chicago and want a hotdog with ketchup and not mustard you'd be laughed at. I'm not a fan of mustard and prefer my tomato substitute so I'd fall into the small % so to speak.

Anyway, my story is about my friend, while we were on your 8th grade trip to Washington DC in 2004(I think that's when we went), went to a little sushi shop inside the food court of a mall in D.C., not knowing the power of wasabi, he popped a chunk of it into his mouth about the size of a large grape. He then got extremely red, started sweating, coughing, and sounded like he was about to die. The 2nd worst part about this is that I didn't actually see it and only heard 2nd hand. But by far the worst was the "after math" that almost killed his roommates. I on the other hand, by an act of God, moved rooms prior to this incident, down the hall(we had originally been next door with connecting rooms) well away from the ensueing fallout.

Lastly, Japanese mayo and my stomach are not the best of friends.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-20-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cridgit001 View Post
Should be drawn and quartered....jk

I realize that there is a certain way to eat foods, and if one chooses to go against unwritten protocol then that's their preference. It's like if you go to Chicago and want a hotdog with ketchup and not mustard you'd be laughed at. I'm not a fan of mustard and prefer my tomato substitute so I'd fall into the small % so to speak.

Anyway, my story is about my friend, while we were on your 8th grade trip to Washington DC in 2004(I think that's when we went), went to a little sushi shop inside the food court of a mall in D.C., not knowing the power of wasabi, he popped a chunk of it into his mouth about the size of a large grape. He then got extremely red, started sweating, coughing, and sounded like he was about to die. The 2nd worst part about this is that I didn't actually see it and only heard 2nd hand. But by far the worst was the "after math" that almost killed his roommates. I on the other hand, by an act of God, moved rooms prior to this incident, down the hall(we had originally been next door with connecting rooms) well away from the ensueing fallout.

Lastly, Japanese mayo and my stomach are not the best of friends.

Well that's a good way to clean your colon.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

02-20-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
Well that's a good way to clean your colon.
And increase the ambient radioactivity in the area, setting off Geiger counters!

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-21-2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
And a lot of people do it. You should just tap a touch of soy sauce. Most Japanese I know put only a small pool of soy sauce in their dish and barely swipe the sushi in the soy sauce when eating. Or else you have just soy sauce flavor, and no sushi flavor (like was said above).

At many of the conveyor belt sushi places you will find both soy sauce and unagi sauce on the tables. I can't count the number of times I have seen people pour unagi sauce, not soy sauce, into their dish (unagi sauce is thicker and much sweeter). Maybe they know what they are doing, and maybe not.

Another time some Asian folks went to my friends restaurant (they weren't Japanese). They order a plate of sushi, and after it was delivered they called the waitress over. "Why is there wasabi in our sushi?!?" they asked, very upset. "That is how sushi is served in Japan, and that's how we serve it here."

"NO!" they insisted. "We ate sushi in Japan, and there was no wasabi inside."

It was a strange exchange.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Kenpachi11 (Offline)
高校生

02-21-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
i personally dont like soy sauce. i just dont like the way it taste.

From the sky, To the ground
Rain is falling all around
Thunder rain and wind
A song of storms begins

Play a song, A melody
Then everybody will see
The hero of time
Has come
(#9 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-21-2009, 03:50 AM

The first time I used chopsticks was to eat Hiroshima style Okonomi. I had a horrible time and made a bit of a mess. Even now I have problems breaking it up into smaller pieces and usually end up with a few bites where the layers have seperated and are more like seperate items or end up in my lap. It bothers me because I watch my wife and cuts and handles it so easily, yet I have better control of my chopsticks for really small things like grains of rice or beans.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-21-2009, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGuy View Post
The first time I used chopsticks was to eat Hiroshima style Okonomi. I had a horrible time and made a bit of a mess. Even now I have problems breaking it up into smaller pieces and usually end up with a few bites where the layers have seperated and are more like seperate items or end up in my lap. It bothers me because I watch my wife and cuts and handles it so easily, yet I have better control of my chopsticks for really small things like grains of rice or beans.
In Osaka they use the mini metal spatula to eat okonomiyaki, but I hear they don't do that in Hiroshima.