JF Old Timer

07-30-2009, 04:14 AM

Reminds of the time when I first tasted natto... XD
(#22 (permalink))
Old
KaiTea (Offline)
Stuck man.

07-31-2009, 01:35 PM

Does Japan only serve seafood and meat dishes? I know the existence of tofu, but is it common to go to a local restaurant shop in Japan and find tofu-themed dishes on the menu? (Which is actually delicious to eat? >_<)

A few of the Japanese restaurants I've been to, in America, had mostly seafood-themed dishes and just a small portion (and I mean small) was vegetarian-friendly. (Which wasn't all that great in my opinion)

I am afraid to go to Japan, fearing that I would not be able to find exquisite Japanese dishes that I am able to eat.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Seanus (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-31-2009, 11:17 PM

I didn't find tofu dishes in my time there but you can buy it I think. Noodles in Japan are legendary. Ramen, soba and udon are very tasty. The soba from Izumo, where I first worked, is said to be better.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-07-2009, 12:21 PM

tofu specific dishes are mostly side dishes, but there quite a few.....

theres the tofu that has been deep fried which is then grilled. you put spring onions on it, soy sauce and a bit of yellow mustard. tastes ok.

theres the cold tofu, which is just tofu with spring onions on top, some ginger and soy sauce. absolutely heaven on a hot summers day.

and there is always nabe if youre a veggie,..... its just a big ass electric pot that you put a broth in and you cook whatever you like, and tofu is always there.

i would imagine its not easy being a veggie here but i think its doable if you like beans, tofu and pickled vegetables.

perhaps veggies who come to japan should taste the pork and the beef here, i'm pretty sure you'll convert cos its completely different to anywhere else in the world. :P
(#25 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

08-07-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xYinniex View Post
i tried making japanese cheesecake once. I failed. Haha.

I reckon mine was WAAAAAY too dense
and that is definitely a problem.

I tried making Korean rice cake soup the other day, then I realized the pan was way to dirty!

As a side note, Miss Gladas from Hong Kong just departed back home with 33 of her students and we had a great time

Cheers - Oz
(#26 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
08-07-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunker View Post
perhaps veggies who come to japan should taste the pork and the beef here, i'm pretty sure you'll convert cos its completely different to anywhere else in the world. :P
If a vegetarian diet were a matter of taste preference you would be right, but usually its a issue of either ethics or biological problems. In some cases, such as difficulty digesting meat, the pork in Japanese is better tolerated.

You might try looking for Korean restaurants if you want to find main dishes in Japan that are tofu based. Many of the soups and stews are made with tofu as the main ingredient - even to the exclusion of meats, though often there is a bit meat or fish for flavoring the broth.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Seanus (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-07-2009, 06:25 PM

MMM, is that really true that Japanese people eat sushi with the same frequency as we eat turkey? Maybe in the expensive places but surely the kaiten-zushi places are still really popular for being cheap?! When I was there, the conveyor belt places were filled with people, we often had to wait for a seat.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-08-2009, 09:05 AM

ha, yeah i know i was taking the piss.

having said that though, if ones wallet were fat enough, and if being a vegetarian is an ethical issue based on their treatment ( and not that killing is involved), you could just eat the massaged and beer fed beef :P
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Seanus (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-08-2009, 03:41 PM

Kobe gyuu is very good. I am from Aberdeen, Scotland, the land of Aberdeen Angus. We are said to have the best beef in the world. I haven't tried all the beef in the world so I wouldn't know. Still, I tried Kobe beef in Sannomiya, Kobe, and I was impressed.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Horuhe (Offline)
New to JF

08-12-2009, 04:20 AM

I tasted a pistachio and chocolate danish once. OK I guess