JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
AmyFoodie (Offline)
New to JF

I just had to taste this... - 05-15-2009, 05:36 PM

I can not resist an unknown food item that may have the potential to be the most amazing thing I've ever eaten. But let me just say I've had more than a few surprises and sometimes it's been quite awful! So here are a few of mine, how about you?

Japanese cheesecake (which I keep reading was lighter than air and like heaven). Well, I should have looked closer at the piece of cheese on the wrapper because it was Swiss cheese. I am still in search of the sweet, non stinky version of this.

Green Tea Kit Kat Bar, yummy but barely tasted of green tea.

I'm sure I'll have more as I remember them...
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Reavyn (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-15-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyFoodie View Post
I can not resist an unknown food item that may have the potential to be the most amazing thing I've ever eaten. But let me just say I've had more than a few surprises and sometimes it's been quite awful! So here are a few of mine, how about you?

Japanese cheesecake (which I keep reading was lighter than air and like heaven). Well, I should have looked closer at the piece of cheese on the wrapper because it was Swiss cheese. I am still in search of the sweet, non stinky version of this.

Green Tea Kit Kat Bar, yummy but barely tasted of green tea.

I'm sure I'll have more as I remember them...
I tried squid sushi thinking it would be a lot like octopus. Yeah, not really. It was way to slimy for my taste. Though I do realize it could have just been the place that served it.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Undertherose25 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-15-2009, 08:44 PM

This isn't Japanese but my ex-boyfriend bought some Chinese Mooncakes, I'd heard they were good and I took an iffy bite and immediately gagged and spit it out. Tasted HORRIBLE, I guess it could have been the person that made it but I'm stubborn and close minded enough not to try anything that bad ever again.

Rice Cakes are pretty nasty too by the way, eating it reminded me of flesh for some reason and the texture was 'wrong'.

I suppose I failed to get that 'acquired' taste so many people seem to be lucky enough to have, then again my sense of smell is weak so my sense of taste is slightly off.

♥Proud Wife of a U.S. Airman♥

Dir en Grey
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Chiyoko (Offline)
Banned

05-15-2009, 08:54 PM

i will try anything as long as someone else is willing to try it with me, but the person has to b a frend

i don't think that you should hate anything tht u haven't tried at least once
(#5 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

07-13-2009, 11:35 PM

i tried sushi eel and it was awesome
(#6 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-13-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobora View Post
i tried sushi eel and it was awesome
It has a weird texture '~'

[<--Nan's heart!]

(#7 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

07-13-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
It has a weird texture '~'
Yea It does but its really good
(#8 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-14-2009, 03:15 AM

chicken sashimi.

it sounds pedestrian,.... but when you realize that in the west we've always been told to cook chicken thoroughly on account of salmonella,....

i was surprised i had a problem with it since i'll try pretty much anything.

tasted like chicken by the way.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

07-14-2009, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reavyn View Post
I tried squid sushi thinking it would be a lot like octopus. Yeah, not really. It was way to slimy for my taste. Though I do realize it could have just been the place that served it.
I love squid.

It's so easy, To think about Love, To Talk about Love, To wish for Love, But it's not always easy, To recognize Love, Even when we hold it.... In our hands."
--Jaka

(#10 (permalink))
Old
zombiedoll (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to zombiedoll
Sushi - 07-14-2009, 06:29 AM

I find it funny that some of you seem to have not tried much sushi, despite apparently having such an interest in Japanese culture. Is it just that your mind focuses on the sweet (however novel) Japanese candy? Or do you not have the opportunity...?
I suppose I'm a bit biased, since I was raised in Southern California on sushi, however crappy it may be. However, I feel like if you have such an interest in the culture, you should at least try their main food group, if not have a miniscule knowledge of it.
Or are you just discussing different forms of the sushi?
Eel is delightful to me (especially with brown sauce), while squid is slippery and nearly flavourless. It's like a watercress chestnut without the crunch.
Hmmm... Why do the rolls have so many different names? Like the Romantic Roll. Name varies by state, if not just city. I began to think it's not even a Japanese creation. Hehe. I don't mind; it's delicious.