LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-11-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Upon arrival is too late. She needs to tell the program now. If I were a host mother or host father that would not be news I would want to hear AFTER the person arrives.
I agree with this completely. Overall, Japanese food is derived from an "ocean based" orientation. Seafoods of all manner are a BIG part of daily cusine. To suddenly have to deal with this kind of problem would be a seve impoosition. It is not fair to "spring" this on an unsuspecting family that is gracious enough to act as a "host" for a YEAR.

They deserve to know well in advance...so that they can "opt out" graciously if they desire.....and let the program find another place that can deal with this issue.

best,

...............john
(#12 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-11-2009, 08:36 PM

When I went to Japan-- I went with a fellow who had a similar experience.

He was allergic to shell-fish and all variations of fish roe.

His host family wasn't aware, and he was too shy to admit he had an allergy (as so he didn't offend them)

He spent the remainder of his trip all red-faced and vomitey.

As for my host family, they were eager to feed me American food-- which is exactly the opposite of what I wanted/expected.

You might be surprised, chances are your host family will have a bucket of KFC upon your arrival.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
LinnyLo (Offline)
JF Regular

06-13-2009, 04:13 AM

I have this same problem too but not quite as severe- I can eat fish just not shellfish. My host family seems fine with it. As long as they are warned ahead of time there should be no problem, especially if they see that you are willing to embrace their culture. If that's the only thing that's "picky" about you then they will probably be understanding.

^^Linny
(#14 (permalink))
Old
packetpirate (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to packetpirate Send a message via MSN to packetpirate Send a message via Skype™ to packetpirate
06-13-2009, 04:47 AM

Do you like noodles and rice? Try eating udon and other grain based dishes. I don't know if you like ramen, but it's an option.

俺はサゲだ!
これが読みません。
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Pike (Offline)
Asian Female? Where?

06-13-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
Hi everyone!
Like the title says, I don't eat seafood. I'm technically only allergic to shellfish, but fish and seaweed and anything from the ocean makes me feel sick. I spent a summer in Japan with a host family a few years ago, and I managed to convince my host mother to only feed me beef and chicken. Because that was only for a few weeks, I think that it was easier for her to make that sacrifice.

I'm going back, this time for a year. I'm a little worried. It'll probably be more difficult for the host family to give me the food I need since I'll be with them for a longer time. Yes, I'm going to try to immerse myself into my host family's life. No, I don't want to be sick.

Any advice, comments?
Just be honest from the beginning. People will respect you for that.

The Ecstasy of Emptiness
The Purity of Suffering
The Divinity of Loneliness
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

06-14-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:

Any advice, comments?
While I won't say it's impossible, I do hope you realize how big a request this actually is.

How would your own folks react if they were to host a Japanese student for an entire year who insists that s/he only eat seafood because he's allergic to meat or meat products?
(#17 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
06-14-2009, 01:53 AM

While honesty may not be as easy as claiming allergies to all fish, it would be better. If you should eat something else and become ill, you don't want a physician detoured by being told you are allergic to something unless you really are.

Without even having seaweed, I hope you will be in Tokyo or another large city where you have more options.

Hopefully you like tofu, because its your host family's easiest substitution when cooking.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
liquidfreedom88 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to liquidfreedom88
06-14-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Hi everyone!
Like the title says, I don't eat seafood. I'm technically only allergic to shellfish, but fish and seaweed and anything from the ocean makes me feel sick. I spent a summer in Japan with a host family a few years ago, and I managed to convince my host mother to only feed me beef and chicken. Because that was only for a few weeks, I think that it was easier for her to make that sacrifice.

I'm going back, this time for a year. I'm a little worried. It'll probably be more difficult for the host family to give me the food I need since I'll be with them for a longer time. Yes, I'm going to try to immerse myself into my host family's life. No, I don't want to be sick.

Any advice, comments?
im not in japan, but what they usually serve on table? i recall there should be miso soup or somethin. then just eat some on table that is not a seafood based, that is after u tell them ur allergic be4 hand. not enough? go buy chicken ramen or bento box, its quite cheap, i guess?

NB: oww, dont tell any of host member bout u eatin out, a lil rude to the host mother

"Time understand nothing. They dont understand hatred, They dont understand agony, They dont understand pain. They keep going through despite how our condition might be and heedless of human's failure and success."
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-14-2009, 03:36 AM

I think that a lot of people aren`t realizing that seafood isn`t used only as-is. It is also in a huge number of condiments, is used to make soup, etc etc. Shellfish is easier to avoid, but not coming into contact with fish is honestly going to be a very hard one - and that is what you`ll be asking for by saying it is an allergy. That is why it is a big deal.

Telling them you have an allergy to seafood is the easiest way to avoid eating it - but it`s also going to be something close to torture for a family as they will take it seriously. I have no doubt they will do their best to make sure you eat absolutely nothing with seafood in it... And that includes a lot more than just pieces of fish and seaweed. It`s really in almost everything, in one form or another. It will force them to change household eating habits quite seriously, and will probably turn the mother into a crazed label reader to make sure no seafood gets by.

If you really aren`t allergic, and just really don`t like seafood, it probably would be best in the long run to just deal with it. Avoid eating seafood when you can and just bear with it when you have no choice. Just don`t spring something that big on them out of the blue.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
06-20-2009, 02:24 PM

you can live off gyuudon for a year x]

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.