JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

So. I can't eat seafood. And I'm going to live in Japan. - 06-09-2009, 07:59 PM

Hi everyone!
Like the title says, I don't eat seafood. I'm technically only allergic to shellfish, but fish and seaweed and anything from the ocean makes me feel sick. I spent a summer in Japan with a host family a few years ago, and I managed to convince my host mother to only feed me beef and chicken. Because that was only for a few weeks, I think that it was easier for her to make that sacrifice.

I'm going back, this time for a year. I'm a little worried. It'll probably be more difficult for the host family to give me the food I need since I'll be with them for a longer time. Yes, I'm going to try to immerse myself into my host family's life. No, I don't want to be sick.

Any advice, comments?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
seiki (Offline)
aww fiegal

06-09-2009, 08:02 PM

just don't eat meat be a vegetarian lol. eat chicken , pork or beef when you leave the house. you don't want to upset them though i would'nt like it if someone didn't want to eat any of my food.

Its good for you damnitlol.

could you just try fish??
(#3 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

06-09-2009, 08:11 PM

only eat at the house 3/4 times a week and the rest of the time go out to eat, then it won't make the host family hate you.

Plus you got all sorts of options, they eat meat cutlets, curries and have meat based dishes.

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#4 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-09-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiki View Post
just don't eat meat be a vegetarian lol. eat chicken , pork or beef when you leave the house. you don't want to upset them though i would'nt like it if someone didn't want to eat any of my food.

Its good for you damnitlol.

could you just try fish??
I've eaten fish before, I just don't feel well after eating it. I definitely plan on only eating chicken and beef and no fish, but like you suggested, it could be pretty offensive. Part of me is afraid the host family will think I'm rejecting their culture or something.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
seiki (Offline)
aww fiegal

06-09-2009, 08:16 PM

maybe you could just tell them you are allergic to all fish. that would be a lie but it may be easier but im not really condoning lying.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-09-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiki View Post
maybe you could just tell them you are allergic to all fish. that would be a lie but it may be easier but im not really condoning lying.
Hmm maybe I should just do that. It'll be a lot easier.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-09-2009, 08:43 PM

Probably because many Japanese alive today still remember the WWII there is not a lot of patience for picky eaters or wasteful eaters because there was a time in recent memory when people didn't have food.

Tell what ever program you are going on NOW that you need to be placed in a home where not eating fish is an option. This way the family is not surprised when you arrive. I would say you are allergic to all fish, just to make it easier for you. There may be host families that have a child who is also allergic and it will be a perfect match.

That being said, not eating fish in Japan is not that hard to do. The important thing is that your potential host family know this in advance.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-10-2009, 07:18 AM

Yes, I agree - say it is an allergy. If you make it clear that you are allergic to shellfish and that there may be other sea food that you have a reaction to, I am sure that a family will work to accommodate you. I wouldn`t expect to be fed meat on a regular basis, but vegetarian food is likely not going to be much of an issue. It depends on area though...
Around here, it seems like fish is a 3 or 4 time a week thing... With meat 2 or 3 days and maybe no meat or fish another day. But up around the in-laws, they eat sashimi even for breakfast literally every day. I don`t think I`ve ever seen a meal (short of curry) that didn`t include fish.

So if you`re heading to a coastal town things may be very tough to pull off.

Beef is probably NOT something to expect or ask for as it is pretty expensive - chicken and pork is the way to go.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-11-2009, 01:57 PM

Also something to think about...............

Beef in Japan is VERY expensive. Even the "cheap" stuff. Having a host family shift their food purchasing habits to including significantly more beef is going to cost them a bunch over the timeframe of a whole year.

But the "politics" of the situation likely says that if you directly offer to cover some of that added cost..... that gesture would actually be a bit offensive to your host family. So you big problem is to figure out how to offest that extra food cost for them without directly causing them to feel bad about it.

Not easy... but put your thinking cap on.

Since you are only known to be allergic to shellfish...... is it that you just do not LIKE fish, and some of the "sick" feeling is more psychological than physiological? Have you checked with your doctor on that? If it is not actually physical, maybe you can train yourself to eat some fish before you go and make it easier economically on your host family?

best,

.................john
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-11-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
Here's a crazy idea.. why not upon arrival explain politely that your allergic to "seafood"
Upon arrival is too late. She needs to tell the program now. If I were a host mother or host father that would not be news I would want to hear AFTER the person arrives.