JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kobenigri (Offline)
New to JF

Smile Sushi recipe exchange - 06-10-2009, 09:46 AM

Does anybody make sushi at home?
I made tempura shrimp roll last Sunday. Not so bad. Share with you. But I think most guys must have the crazy and amazing sushi recipe. Why not share with buddies and let every body try?

Ingredients:
8 sheets nori
4 cups sumeshi
4 pieces tempura shrimp
4 pieces fresh shrimp
1 omelet (I bought from a restaurant near my house. It took some time and patience to cook)
1 bottle fried nori

direction:
1. Cook sushi rice.
2. fry tempura shrimp as directed on the package. I prefer to frying the tempura shrimp because it tastes crisp outside but tender inside. However, you can bake them due to the healthy.
3. Cut heads off the tempura shrimp.
4. Slice tempura shrimp in half lengthwise, set aside.
5. Wash the fresh shrimp, cook in the boiling water until the shrimp change into the red color.(almost 45 sec), just count down when you cook
6. Remove the hard skin of cooked shrimp and discard
7.cut the tail and head of cooked shrimp
8. cut into half piece
9. cut omelet into thin slice big enough to wrap the cooked shrimp
10. Roll the sushi, using cooked shrimp pieces, omelet pieces ?? slices of tempura shrimp as your fillings.
11. scatter some fried nori
12. Serve with shoyu, wasabi

Why not exchange sushi recipe?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

06-10-2009, 12:50 PM

I'm with you Josh!

Sushi train is as good as it get's and the trains at some are a bonus!

Cheers - Oz
(#3 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
06-20-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobenigri View Post
Does anybody make sushi at home?
I made tempura shrimp roll last Sunday. Not so bad. Share with you. But I think most guys must have the crazy and amazing sushi recipe. Why not share with buddies and let every body try?

Ingredients:
8 sheets nori
4 cups sumeshi
4 pieces tempura shrimp
4 pieces fresh shrimp
1 omelet (I bought from a restaurant near my house. It took some time and patience to cook)
1 bottle fried nori

direction:
1. Cook sushi rice.
2. fry tempura shrimp as directed on the package. I prefer to frying the tempura shrimp because it tastes crisp outside but tender inside. However, you can bake them due to the healthy.
3. Cut heads off the tempura shrimp.
4. Slice tempura shrimp in half lengthwise, set aside.
5. Wash the fresh shrimp, cook in the boiling water until the shrimp change into the red color.(almost 45 sec), just count down when you cook
6. Remove the hard skin of cooked shrimp and discard
7.cut the tail and head of cooked shrimp
8. cut into half piece
9. cut omelet into thin slice big enough to wrap the cooked shrimp
10. Roll the sushi, using cooked shrimp pieces, omelet pieces ?? slices of tempura shrimp as your fillings.
11. scatter some fried nori
12. Serve with shoyu, wasabi

ugh... i'm just going to rewrite her entire recipe

Ingredients:
2cups rice (since it's a roll, you don't NEED short grain; medium will do just fine)
1/2lb Tiger Shrimp (bigger the better)
Olive oil w/ a hint of sesame or vegetable if you want to be cheap >.>"
Pack of Nori (choose your own quality... i personally prefer "Yuuka" grade from yamasho inc.... though.. good luck getting your hands on that grade; i think it's like... $400 some USD for a box of 10 of the stuff >.>')

Shari-Su:
3 1/2cups Salt
12 quarts Rice Vinegar
8 quarts Sugar
(These proportions are for an industrial kitchen, if you want a home recipe.. do your own conversion =.=''' since i had to get those measurements from like 2cups of rice vinegar.... )

Tempura Batter:
1c Rice flour
1c "ICE" cold water
1 egg

Recommended fillings for a "Tempura roll" :
Finely julienned cucumber (preferably japanese cucumber)
Kaiware (radish sprouts)
Japanese mayo or if you prefer, spicy mayo (Japanese mayo, sriracha, sesame chili oil and shichimi togarashi)
Masago (Smelt roe)
gomae (toasted sesame seeds)
Shichimi togarashi (seven spice powder)

Procedure:
1. Wash rice and cook w/ equal ratio water in Rice cooker (if no rice cooker, then in a heavy pot, bring rice to boil, cover, then simmer for 25-30 min.);
2. Heat rice vinegar, sugar and salt together then stir until solids are dissolved. Set aside to cool.
3.Add and mix shari-su immediately after extracting rice from cooking pot. Cool to room temp then store.
4. To prepare shrimp for tempura, remove head of shrimp. Straighten out the body then slit a quarter way down the center of the underside. Flip shrimp then make multiple shallow scores diagonally across the top of the shrimp. Squeeze gently (you will feel the meat pop) until the shrimp is stretched out (1.5-2 times it original length).
5. To prepare batter, lightly mix all ingredients together. Despite what all other recipes tell you, batter should be lumpy and not mixed well.
6. Dip the shrimp into batter and drop into oil. Remove just as it turns a yellow gold. NOT after it's become "golden brown" (it's over-cooked by this point). transfer finished products to towels to drain excess oil
7. I'm not going to explain how to roll maki-mono due to it's complexity and difficulty of explaining it proper w/o the support of a visual guidance >.>""
8. As for serving it... I personally don't think the saltiness of shoyu nor the pungency of wasabi will suit this specific roll. I'd rather just dip it into a spicy mayo or even ponzu sauce >.>'''

yeah.... i haven't slept in about 26 hours... >.>''
so please excuse the randomness of this recipe >.<''

although i do hope it helps ^_^

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.

Last edited by yuujirou : 06-20-2009 at 01:56 PM.