JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
udonboi (Offline)
New to JF

Just one vegetable in my Vegetable Curry - 06-21-2009, 01:47 AM

I know traditional vegetable curry comes with onions, carrots, and potatoes, but I made curry last night with just broccoli. So, it ended up being broccoli in a curry sauce with rice. Do Japanese people ever make curries with just one vegetable, like just mushrooms, curry sauce and rice for example. The reason I ask is because the recipes I see online seem to focus on the big 3 (onions, carrots, and potatoes).

Please give your opinion about this, thank you. I am a vegetarian, so I can't put any meat (beef, pork, chicken, etc.) in it.

Everything else about my curry recipe is traditional. I buy everything from the asian grocery and I have had a few Japanese friends approve of my recipe. However, I have one friend that tries to tell me that if I use just broccoli, then it is not authentic, which bothers me, because I work very hard to make my recipes authentic.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

06-21-2009, 02:47 AM

You don't need opinions. You need facts.

Onions are a must in curry and anything else is an option. Since the onion pieces almost completely melt while cooking, the curry will look extremely boring if you don't use other ingredients. Therefore, many Japanese use all of the Big 3 that you mentioned (plus one kind of meat).

My question is: Did you like that broccoli-only curry you made? If yes, please forget what I said about onions.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

06-21-2009, 03:04 AM

Yep..

We use onions, carrots, potatoe and beef.

Our beef is nice and soft and crumbles in the mouth..

We also have a hard boiled egg on the plate..

Cheers - Oz
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Kyousuke (Offline)
Seiryuu

06-21-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
Yep..

We use onions, carrots, potatoe and beef.

Our beef is nice and soft and crumbles in the mouth..

We also have a hard boiled egg on the plate..
isnt it a wonderful feeling when the beef just crumbles in your mouth?

i will usually add a raw egg on my curry.

"Im too drunk to taste this chicken" - colonel sanders
(#5 (permalink))
Old
udonboi (Offline)
New to JF

06-24-2009, 09:52 PM

Thanks Nagoyankee, ozkai and Kyousuke for your replies. I was just inquiring about alternatives, because sometimes I may not have all the ingredients on hand. I would prefer to have the big 3 veggies before I start my curry. Also, I want to mention, that even though I can make the curry sauce from scratch, I do buy the roux blocks and make it that way because it is quicker and more consistent in flavor.

Also, I prefer, if I am making "curry udon", I will actually put the fresh noodles in the bowl and just pour the curry sauce and vegetables over the noodles. When I did this, a Japanese friend starting spouting off about how it is not authentic because I didn't stir the noodles in with the curry and vegables??? How this makes it not authentic is beyond me. I would think this is personal preference.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

06-24-2009, 11:44 PM

Welcome Udonboi:

My x-Wife made the best Japanese curre. That's the only thing I miss about her She was Japanese.

My current partner is Korean and attempted the Golden Curre recipe a few weeks ago.. I have to say Mazooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii..

I didn't tell her that of course and just made sure I drank plenty of water with each mouthful!

Cheers - Oz