JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
udonboi (Offline)
New to JF

Clear colored soy sauce? - 06-28-2009, 08:03 PM

I have been using usukuchi shoyu because I was under the impression it was the lightest colored soy sauce. I use it in my clear soup (suimono).

However, I have read about shiro shoyu (white soy sauce) that is supposed to be clear? I have never seen a clear soy sauce at the asian market. When they say clear, do they mean kind of ambered colored or clear as in clear like water type of clear.

I would like to find the clearest soy sauce possible because the clearer my suimono, the more aesthetically pleasing it is (well, to me atleast).
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

06-28-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udonboi View Post
I have been using usukuchi shoyu because I was under the impression it was the lightest colored soy sauce. I use it in my clear soup (suimono).

However, I have read about shiro shoyu (white soy sauce) that is supposed to be clear? I have never seen a clear soy sauce at the asian market. When they say clear, do they mean kind of ambered colored or clear as in clear like water type of clear.

I would like to find the clearest soy sauce possible because the clearer my suimono, the more aesthetically pleasing it is (well, to me atleast).
I don't mean to stalk you on JF or anything, but hi again!

Don't make suimono with regular dark soysauce. Tha's what barbarians like Tokyoites and many folks in Eastern Japan do. The further you go from Kyoto, the less refined the cuisine.

You've talked about kake-udon a lot. What's the color of your kake-udon soup? In Eastern Japan, it's just black. Nagoya west, it's kind of clear and transparent.

Siro shoyu (actual pronunciation is shira-jyouyu) is much less salty. Top restaurants like to use it because it makes the ingredients look better than regular soysauce does. The regular darkens everything you cook with it as you know.

Shira-jyouyu is amber in color. But since you will dilute it with dashi in cooking, it will be very light in color. The colors of the ingredients will shine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kenkocom_x297400h.jpg (11.4 KB, 32 views)
(#3 (permalink))
Old
udonboi (Offline)
New to JF

06-28-2009, 08:49 PM

Nagoyankee, you are not bothering me at all. I come here for answers, I rather make a fool out of myself here than in person when I am serving guests in my home.

My kake-udon is more of a clear transparent color as I do use the clearest soy sauce I can find (or I will use a small amount so I don't darken the soup that much). However, I am going to try and find this shiro shoyu so I can make it clearer if I want. It isn't my kake-udon that I am really concerned about. I mean, I would like to have the option to make it clearer. It is mainly my suimono, because I have seen food photos of the soup in Japanese cookbooks and it seems almost clear as water and I really like that look. To me, suimono should be clear (or light amber), because it just looks better that way.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
udonboi (Offline)
New to JF

06-29-2009, 02:34 AM

Can someone post a link so I can buy this stuff online.