JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sunni (Offline)
New to JF

I want to cook japanese food but i need some help - 07-19-2009, 09:27 PM

I have some limitations for cooking japanese foods, because where i live we dont have any japanese foods except soy sause, i need some suggestions for replacement for some of the ingredients, I live in a very small town without alot of choises and alternatives in foods.
So if you have some recipes and some suggestions i would love of you could help me with that and btw, i do have noodles(wheat and egg)

私のあにまと漫画すきだす
私のなまえはスンイヴァです
my name is sunniva
よろしくおねがいします
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Undertherose25 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-19-2009, 10:17 PM

You can make Tempura right?

I make the batter from scratch... flour, eggs, carbonated water/Club Soda [sometimes I use Sake instead of water] and panko flakes.

I probably murder the original recipe but it tastes good and its cheap.

If you use shrimp to make it slit the back of the shrimp open and coat it in flour or it'll turn out dry and weird.

♥Proud Wife of a U.S. Airman♥

Dir en Grey
(#3 (permalink))
Old
thcuteness (Offline)
Banned

07-20-2009, 01:22 AM

you can also try to buy japanese food online, its some what easier than trying to search the earth for alternative food. would you like some names of websites?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Deviruu (Offline)
オワタ!

07-21-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thcuteness View Post
you can also try to buy japanese food online
Agreed.

Japanese food, hm? An easy one could be onigiri.

I use white rice and stick in some tuna or some sort of filling. It's easy, quick and enjoyable.

Do you live by a health food store? If that's the case you can search for some miso soup/noodles.
Speaking of noodles why not make a meal consisting of that? Ramen is easily obtainable and not to mention cheap!

Why not look here:

Japanese food and Japanese recipes

This is where I learned how to make a few of my dishes. There is also a "Easy Meals" tab.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-21-2009, 06:47 PM

Try here:

YouTube - cookingwithdog's Channel

Very good help videos.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
kemey (Offline)
New to JF

07-22-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunni View Post
I have some limitations for cooking japanese foods, because where i live we dont have any japanese foods except soy sause, i need some suggestions for replacement for some of the ingredients, I live in a very small town without alot of choises and alternatives in foods.
So if you have some recipes and some suggestions i would love of you could help me with that and btw, i do have noodles(wheat and egg)
Cook remen ?
Eeasy! Use hot water to wash noodles, make the sauce, break the egg mix them all up and enjoy.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-22-2009, 12:39 PM

Japanese foods are very simple to make, though some of the ingredients may not be so easy to find in Norway. The primary seasonings necessary are soy sauce (easy to find), mirin (a sweet cooking sake), sugar (again, easy to find), konbu (thick seaweed), dashi (a soup stock made from dried fish), and miso paste (used to make miso soup, but also important in other dishes).

You can make a Japanese flavor dish using cabbage, onions, thin sliced beef, mushrooms, hard boiled eggs, or other ingredients which you think might go well.

First, you must make the basic stock, which is called dashi. You normally take a handful or so of small dried fish and boil them in water for just a few minutes. As the stock boils, a foam will appear on the top, it is important to scoop this foam off and discard it.

Once the stock is done, you strain it with a fine strainer or filter of some type to end up with a clear broth. To this broth you will and the konbu (dried sea weed), mushrooms, and then the cabbage, onions, beef, etc. The dish you are making is generally known as "nabe", which is cooked and served on the tabletop in Japan.

As the vegetables and meat are cooking, you add some miso paste, soy sauce, mirin, and some sugar. Add these until you get the taste you like. The flavor should be subtly like teriyaki sauce, salty, but with a touch of sweetness to it. Some people remove the konbu before eating, others like it. I have no preference, but konbu adds a flavor to the dish.

You can find any ingredients you need online here: Mitsuwa Marketplace -in the "online shopping" section.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sunni (Offline)
New to JF

07-27-2009, 06:45 PM

thanks for the help! this is really helpfull

私のあにまと漫画すきだす
私のなまえはスンイヴァです
my name is sunniva
よろしくおねがいします