JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Food (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/)
-   -   What did I eat...? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/26906-what-did-i-eat.html)

Desstile 08-02-2009 05:04 PM

What did I eat...?

Okay, so a few years ago we had a girl from Japan come in for a class we had and she cooked a bunch of Japanese dishes for us. Some of them were realllly good but I don't know what they were. So, if anyone knows the name of what I ate...please post here. Weird...I know.

Dish one: it was just boneless chicken and she soaked it in soya sauce I know for a fact...but I have no idea if she did anything else to it. Not a lot to go by...I know...

Dish two: it was a dessert...a white square that was really sticky and hard to chew. It had a green powdery type substance on it.

Dish three: a soup. With noodles and chicken....the people who didn't want the noodles with chicken ate it with egg.

Sorry if this is a really weird topic....

Undertherose25 08-02-2009 05:27 PM

Dish one...sounds like teriyaki chicken...what did it taste like? Was it sweet?

For some reason when I read about dish two I thought of Kuih...a lot of them are made with meat but some of them are made for desserts. I doubt that's what is is however.

Dish three sounds like some sort of udon soup...

But I don't know most of this information given is kinda vague.

alanX 08-02-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desstile (Post 755766)
Okay, so a few years ago we had a girl from Japan come in for a class we had and she cooked a bunch of Japanese dishes for us. Some of them were realllly good but I don't know what they were. So, if anyone knows the name of what I ate...please post here. Weird...I know.

Dish one: it was just boneless chicken and she soaked it in soya sauce I know for a fact...but I have no idea if she did anything else to it. Not a lot to go by...I know...

Dish two: it was a dessert...a white square that was really sticky and hard to chew. It had a green powdery type substance on it.

Dish three: a soup. With noodles and chicken....the people who didn't want the noodles with chicken ate it with egg.

Sorry if this is a really weird topic....

Dish three was probably Udon.
うどん - Google Images

I can't quite put my finger on the first two.

Hmm... The second was maybe Green Tea Cake? I'm not sure. Did it look like this? green tea cake - Google Images

Hope I have helped in some way.

Desstile 08-02-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 755776)
Dish three was probably Udon.
うどん - Google Images

I can't quite put my finger on the first two.

Hmm... The second was maybe Green Tea Cake? I'm not sure. Did it look like this? green tea cake - Google Images

Hope I have helped in some way.

It wasn't green tea cake....it wasn't a cake at all really. It's hard to explain. It was just a white square.... no bigger than one of those white erasers and just a powdery green substance on top. Like I said, it was very chewy. the rest of the information is helpful though. Thank you both for trying:vsign:

alanX 08-02-2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desstile (Post 755780)
It wasn't green tea cake....it wasn't a cake at all really. It's hard to explain. It was just a white square.... no bigger than one of those white erasers and just a powdery green substance on top. Like I said, it was very chewy. the rest of the information is helpful though. Thank you both for trying:vsign:

I'll continue to search as well.
My girlfriend is Japanese, but she's in Australia. It's almost 4Am there, when she wakes up I will ask her and post what she says. Hopefully she'll know what I'm talking about.

And I'll keep searching for you also.
I'm curious too.

Barone1551 08-02-2009 07:36 PM

The second sounds like mochi. Was it chewy like taffey which is also sticky. Or was it more like a gummy.

did it look like this: Mochi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I agree with the above posters. The chicken sounds similar to teriyaki chickin, and the second similar to udon.

GTJ 08-02-2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barone1551 (Post 755800)
The second sounds like mochi. Was it chewy like taffey which is also sticky. Or was it more like a gummy.

did it look like this: Mochi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I agree with the above posters. The chicken sounds similar to teriyaki chickin, and the second similar to udon.

Yeah it was probably mocchi. You know a bunch of people die every year on new year's choking on that stuff? That's when you traditionally eat it, and people keep kicking it because of it. Crazy :D

Desstile 08-03-2009 03:42 AM

Oh wow:eek: You guys are good! I think you may possible have them all now. Mochi...wow...to think I've always wondered what the heck it was and it turns out I've tried it. lol! Thanks everyone:)

(And seriously? People die from it?:eek: )

GTJ 08-03-2009 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desstile (Post 755965)
(And seriously? People die from it?:eek: )

Yeah I think it's like 10 a year, usually the elderly. It's cuz it's so, so chewy and sticky, and then you put DRY stuff on it. That's like asking to be asphyxiated.

My girlfriend made it for me for breakfast one time and when she walked out of the room I ate a piece and nearly died. Good thing she didn't see it, that was embarassing! hehe

Nyororin 08-03-2009 04:42 AM

Actually, it`s most common to choke on it when it`s WET, as in soup, because it gets washed into the wrong passage far too quickly... And choking ensues. The most common time to choke on it is new years when everyone puts it in soup.