JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
plizman (Offline)
New to JF

08-09-2009, 03:35 AM

Whenever we make onigiri we make a batch of sushi rice using rice vinegar, sugar, and dried kelp (thicker kelp, not the dried seaweed that you use in miso). It makes the rice have a better flavor and helps it to stick better, even if you are using a longer grain rice (though the rounder rice will make a better onigiri). We like to use Korean style black rice mixed in with our regular rice and made onigiri last week using brown rice.

For making the sushi rice, a good rule is to use about 70ml of rice vinegar and one spoonful of sugar for every two cups of rice you prepare. As you make more and more, you might add more or less of things depending on your taste.

First, prepare your rice. After your rice is cooked, use a small saucepan and add your vinegar, sugar, strip or two of kelp (about the size of your thumb), and a pinch of salt (you can put in a little more if you like it saltier).

Apply low heat to your saucepan and keep stirring your mixture together until all of the sugar crystals are gone. Right before it boils (you'll see a bubble or two form in the bottom of your saucepan), remove the heat and take out the kelp. Pour this mixture over your warm rice and mix it in. We usually put a towel over the rice and let it set for about 30 minutes to an hour before making anything with it.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-09-2009, 02:11 PM

thats an interesting idea,.... onigiri sushi. i'm surprised i havent see it done here yet.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-09-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunni View Post
I've bought some risotto rice for some onigiri making tomorrow, im trying to convince my familly to like onigiri, though it'll be hard i guess
i found a short article about making risotto with japanese rice, and the writer said it made it very "gluey" in a good way cos the starch content was higher,... so it should work, just maybe put more water than they actually tell you on packet.

haha, its hard getting any family to try something different, let alone from another country, but onigiri can be so simple and plain that if you put stuff they like and are familiar with, like your smoked salmon and chicken mayo, then maybe it wont be so weird for them. tell em its just like a sandwich, only with rice :P