JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Summer Salad? Got the cash? - 08-16-2009, 03:37 AM

Lettuce, good old buddy of salads worldwide. Not so good when you check the current price of this green salad god.

Last month you could buy it for ¥0.98
Then 3 weeks back it was ¥1.28
2 weeks ago ¥1.98

NOW!
¥298 for a head of the green stuff!!!

In other money...
$3.14
£1.89
Euro 2.19
CAD 3.44
AUD 3.72
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

08-16-2009, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyroboto View Post

Last month you could buy it for ¥0.98
Then 3 weeks back it was ¥1.28
2 weeks ago ¥1.98
That's like free lettus.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-16-2009, 01:12 PM

it is getting ridiculous.

having said that, i stopped by a restaurant veggie truck that was parked on the side of the road, and managed to get their last head of lettuce for Y100.

my rectum thanks me for not living in tokyo.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-17-2009, 04:26 AM

Lettuce is still 119yen here. As it was last week. And the week before.
Before that it was a whopping 120 yen, but I guess they thought shaving the 1 off there would make a difference.

But I never buy lettuce. I have it delivered. So I never really worry about the price of an individual head at the store.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
08-17-2009, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Lettuce is still 119yen here. As it was last week. And the week before.
Before that it was a whopping 120 yen, but I guess they thought shaving the 1 off there would make a difference.

But I never buy lettuce. I have it delivered. So I never really worry about the price of an individual head at the store.
Do you have many groceries delivered? What kind of places offer this service, and what would you say are the advantages?

Being the chef in the household of a young couple, I do need to pinch them yens whilst shopping, which means hitting the station's massive grocery market on Tuesday morning when things are cheap and fighting through the crowd of Osaka baa-chans.

Do you guys have any idea how vicious Osaka baa-chans are on a sale day?

I would be thrilled to find a street vendor in my town with some locally-grown goodies.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-17-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
Do you have many groceries delivered? What kind of places offer this service, and what would you say are the advantages?
I have all the vegetables delivered. It`s a set price a week, and you get a fair variety of things in a basic box, with the choice to order additional stuff.
I order from らでぃっしゅぼーや, but there are a few more services that are good.
http://www.benesse-ef.jp/ and http://www.oisix.com/ are the two biggest, as far as I know. They aren`t exactly cheap, but they do keep you from making the same thing over and over - and push you to eat more (in both volume and variety) vegetables.
It seriously keeps our spending on groceries for the month down, despite costing more. Usually all the fruits and vegetables we eat come from the delivered box (we also order a box of fruit, which is the greatest thing ever as grocery store fruit is way WAY too expensive), and I`ll usually buy a couple frozen packs of meat and cheap spice sets from http://www.kobebussan.co.jp/ (700 for 1kg of chicken, etc - about 2000 a month for meat and mixes). Then all I actually buy at a regular grocery store is stuff that goes bad quickly. Tofu, milk, etc. 12000/month for fruit and vegetables, 2000~3000 for meat and fish, and 3000 or so for other stuff. Under 30000/month for 3 people, including work and school lunches. Our rice is magical though, grown by family. If we had to buy that too that would be another 3000 or so.

Back when it was just the two of us, and I didn`t have to make school lunches or "after school nutritious snacks" we got by on about half that. Fruit and vegetable box delivered every other week, freeze about half after prep and use the second week... Meat/fish was whatever was on sale the cheapest at the local grocery. Or bought in frozen bulk when we were up on the coast.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.