JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
theraw (Offline)
New to JF

Question Cooking reference books - 09-16-2009, 02:29 AM

Can anyone recommend the best Japanese, or Asian as a whole, cooking reference books? I'm looking for the best research material I can. I'm currently learning how to read Japanese, so I can take suggestions for non-English translated texts that you might recommend. It would make me work harder to learn anyways. But if you can make any translated recommendation that really REALLY stand out them please let me know. Chances are I might have one or two of them already, but by all means let me here it.

As authentic as you can get really helps. And all other Asian cuisine reference books that fit this criteria are very much looked upon with appreciation for your helping me out.

Thanks guys!!!

-Charlie

"Ingredients have no boundaries."
-Rokusaburo Michiba

It is NEVER sharp enough.
-Every sharpness addict

Last edited by theraw : 09-16-2009 at 02:41 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
orca (Offline)
JF Regular

10-24-2009, 12:24 PM

I saw this on the net when searching for a healthy diet:

Amazon.com: Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat: Secrets of My Mother's Tokyo Kitchen (9780385339988): Naomi Moriyama: Books

I haven't got it yet but will be buying it, apparently there's lots of recipes in it and easy to follow instructions on a range of dishes, it's when I saw an article on it that I became interested in Japanese food and joined here to find out more, let me kno if it's any good if u get it
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-24-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca View Post
Amazon.com: Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat: Secrets of My Mother's Tokyo Kitchen (9780385339988): Naomi Moriyama: Books[/url]

I haven't got it yet but will be buying it, apparently there's lots of recipes in it and easy to follow instructions on a range of dishes, it's when I saw an article on it that I became interested in Japanese food and joined here to find out more, let me kno if it's any good if u get it
Oh, I have that. It's a really interesting read, but as a cook book it's a bit difficult to use. Not the recipes themselves, per se, but just the way the book is laid out and the size of it. The hardback version is pretty small and doesn't stay open easily unless you bash the spine to bits, which is annoying if you've got something hot on the oven and you want to look up the next instruction.

I really like "The Quick and Easy Japanese Cookbook" by Katsuyo Kobayashi. It's got pictures, and lots of simple home-cooking recipes. It's nice because it's easy enough for beginners, but there's also a couple of harder things for when you've gotten the hang of it, and it doesn't really require too many expensive or hard-to-get ingredients. It's in English though. All my cook books are :<

I also have "Taste of Japan" by Masaki Ko, which is ~okay~. It's not brilliant, there's some stuff which I don't like, but it's a conventional japanese cookbook. it's got some simple sushi ideas which are surprisingly practical, and the suki-yaki recipe is really quite nice. On the other hand, it doesn't have anything really exciting, and fails to be cosy home cooking as well.

Vis other Asian cuisine, my current favorite is "Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey". It's fussier than home cooking, you need more kit and more time and effort, but the end result is to die for. I have made some exceptionally good curries with this book. It's a good show-stopper if you have company, and he's pretty good and suggesting alternatives for ingredients which aren't widely available.

I have two Thai cookbooks which I use frequently, one of which you can only get in Chiang Mai in Thailand, which is a shame. The other is "Thai Food" by David Thompson, and whilst it's not exactly beginner's cooking, it IS utterly comprehensive. It's got absolutely everything in it you could ever imagine and some things you hadn't. I use it as a reference book to get ideas and then make it using my own method.

Wagamama's "ways with noodles" I didn't like much and I can't really put my finger on why. All I can say is i've had the book for over a year and I've made....nothing from it.

"Anjum's New Indian" isn't exactly asian, but again, it's got some good dishes in it. Panir Peppers, for example. Really good.

And... everything else I use i've plucked from the internet and adapted. This blog: Obachan's Kitchen & Balcony Garden
and it's sequel: Still Clumsy With Chopsticks is in english, but links to japanese recipes and sites, and is written by a japanese lady.

Failing that, just do some googling. There's bound to be a lot out there!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
orca (Offline)
JF Regular

10-24-2009, 04:21 PM

Thanks for that! Am looking for good cookbook where as a beginner it'll be easy for me to grasp and follow, I'll definitely b checking those out
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-24-2009, 04:30 PM

I like the Kentaro Kobayashi series that just came out. It isn't necessarily tradition, but more modern Japanese fusion.

VERTICAL
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-24-2009, 05:00 PM

Oh, those look good, MMM.

Actually, whilst we're talking about it, has anyone heard of Harumi Kurihara or looked at her books? She's supposed to be the 'Delia Smith of Japan', and i've heard some good reviews, but only from people actually selling the book, which makes me cagey. Any info would be much appreciated!