JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Kinsora (Offline)
"Might there be mink?"

Rice flour help - 10-04-2009, 06:33 PM

Ok, so i've been planning on making あんこお団子(anko o-dango). I've decided to make the kind made out of tofu and mochiko, but i'm confused as to whether regular-ground rice flour and mochiko are the same? could you use regular rice flour for dango? or does it HAVE to be glutinous?

If my Japanese confuses you, if you don't undestand, you are always free to correct my grammar.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-06-2009, 05:06 PM

I'm not an expert, but I think that Mochi-ko is the middle grade of confectionary flour, and as opposed to ordinary rice flour is made from a different kind of rice altogether. It's finer and sweeter as well as being more glutinous. Shiratama-ko is even more so, and is considered the best. If that is what the recipe suggests, that would be the best flour to use and you should expect a different consistency if you use another flour.

It might depend on what flour you DO have. If it's a short-grain rice flour, it should be ok, just not the best quality, but if it's long-grain rice flour (a lot of korean brands are this, apparently) it probably won't work as it won't be anywhere near glutinous enough.