JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Deviruu (Offline)
オワタ!

Food Drops?! Review - 11-01-2009, 02:06 PM

[[removed]]

Last edited by Deviruu : 10-29-2010 at 06:05 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
11-02-2009, 05:23 PM

The thought of those flavors in candy is repulsive (at least to me) and it seems as though the gyoza ia as bad as it sounds. but I understand curiousity taking over. I had a similar uncontrolled bout of curiosity when Jelly Belly came out with some of their more digusting, and all too accurate, flavors. I particularly recall everyone in my office daring each other to taste the "vomit" one.

I can see where an attempt to make a candy that tastes like Sapporo might come across as oddly sweet, even if it were closer to the real taste. If you distill the flavors of it in your mind while drinking it there is a definite sweetness similar to your description, though much less pronounced.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

11-03-2009, 03:51 PM

You could have gotten much better-tasting stuff from Japan for the same price!

The Japanese who buy those food-taste candies don't buy them for their taste. Rather, they buy them for a conversation topic with their friends and families. Let's face it. We can get hot, fresh, yummy gyoza anywhere anytime, so we don't need the Gyoza drops for a substitute. Some people just buy these drops for an offbeat sounenir. This is why many of these candies are area-restricted to appeal to the tourists looking for strange souvenirs.

Gyoza - Tochigi Prefecture only
Beer - City of Sapporo only
Corn - Hokkaido only

These would be sold all over Japan if they actually were any good. In a sense, they have to taste terrible to exist. The manufactures here "play" once in a while and we consumers play right along since these things only cost a few hundred yen at the most. No harm done. The worse it tastes, the bigger "topic" it makes. Not sure this concept will ever be understood in your country.

This thread so reminded me of the Cucumber Pepsi from a couple of years ago. Japanese knew from the beginning that it was just a game Pepsi wanted to play for a few weeks. The North Americans living in Japan, however, took the Cucumber Pepsi seriously and made lots of Youtube videos about it, telling everyone how terrible it tasted. What they never understood was that it HAD TO taste terrible for Pepsi to get consumers talking about it and uttering the name "Pepsi".
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

Food Drops? Review - 11-03-2009, 09:48 PM

Egg:

Eggs when dropped do not last long except in extreme heat.

If dropped on Tarmac, they would fry, in which case you would have fried eggs.

If in winter in Hokkaido, your eggs may survive from going off, however, you would have a difficult time collecting your egg.

Cheers - Oz
(#5 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-04-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
You could have gotten much better-tasting stuff from Japan for the same price!

The Japanese who buy those food-taste candies don't buy them for their taste. Rather, they buy them for a conversation topic with their friends and families. Let's face it. We can get hot, fresh, yummy gyoza anywhere anytime, so we don't need the Gyoza drops for a substitute. Some people just buy these drops for an offbeat sounenir. This is why many of these candies are area-restricted to appeal to the tourists looking for strange souvenirs.

Gyoza - Tochigi Prefecture only
Beer - City of Sapporo only
Corn - Hokkaido only

These would be sold all over Japan if they actually were any good. In a sense, they have to taste terrible to exist. The manufactures here "play" once in a while and we consumers play right along since these things only cost a few hundred yen at the most. No harm done. The worse it tastes, the bigger "topic" it makes. Not sure this concept will ever be understood in your country.

This thread so reminded me of the Cucumber Pepsi from a couple of years ago. Japanese knew from the beginning that it was just a game Pepsi wanted to play for a few weeks. The North Americans living in Japan, however, took the Cucumber Pepsi seriously and made lots of Youtube videos about it, telling everyone how terrible it tasted. What they never understood was that it HAD TO taste terrible for Pepsi to get consumers talking about it and uttering the name "Pepsi".

I was in Japan during the "Cucumber Pepsi" epidemic, and unfortunately I was one of the idiots who took it seriously.

^^^^ comic I made, documenting the phenomenon... featuring my friend Randall [Ran-chan]