JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

Wink Cakes, Pastries and bread in Japan. - 11-21-2009, 03:25 AM

I always found that the quality of bread was first class in Japan.

I had my sepcial outlet with the most oishi walnut encrusted bread, and the French baguettes were five star form nearby my local SATY supermarket.

The cakes, by memory the name of the shop was "Fujiya", used to attract me constantly with the most delicious strawberry and cream cake..

I would have thought Japan would be the last place to buy the best of this type of food, consdering it is not Japanese.

What's your experience and opinions on cakes and breads in Japan?

Whaaaaaa, It's making me hungry

Cheers - Oz
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

11-21-2009, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post

I would have thought Japan would be the last place to buy the best of this type of food, consdering it is not Japanese.
lol The Japanese have been baking bread for 300 years now, much longer than you Australians have.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

11-21-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
lol The Japanese have been baking bread for 300 years now, much longer than you Australians have.
I can tell you that bread, cakes and pastries in Australia are rotten, unless of course it is a nieche store in Sydney's Eastern Suburb's with a small cake setting you back ten bucks.

In Japan, it just seems so normal even in a country Nara town to buy that yummy bread..

I'm sure it's not Japanese and no doubt was introduced to Japan, but having said that, as always, the Japanese get my five stars again for the art of perfection.

I would kill to be able to afford a flight to Japan to pick up some oishi bread!

Mate, I'm on your side.. I'm in Cairns.. The bread up here is a shocka to say the least.

Cheers - Oz
(#4 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-21-2009, 02:26 PM

yeah even the regular Y88 loaf of 6 slices of toast is great here.

this is the first time in my life that i wake up looking forward to something as simple as a good fat hot slice of toast smothered in butter.

before it was routine, now its like "mmmmmm toast time ",.... and i never used to be a breakfast person, or a morning person for that matter.

i do however take issue with what they try and pass off as cheesecake,...

but the good toast more than makes up for it :P
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-21-2009, 04:12 PM

Fat!Bread in TINYLOAVES confused me no end. For some reason, thin sliced bread is hard to find but the enormous slices are just... weird. Who needs a slice of bread an inch thick? You'd give yourself lockjaw eating a sandwich.

I've already talked about the weird sponge cake in another thread but I will say, I was almightily impressed with the quality and range of French-style patisserie goods available. That was almost the entirety of my culture shock; coming in a country less than 20 miles from the coast of France and yet getting much much better croissant in Osaka, over 9000 (Stop that.) miles away from France. No wonder Tokyo now holds more Michelin star restaurants than any other city.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
hennaz (Offline)
こんにちは!

11-21-2009, 07:52 PM

I went to Japan 2 years ago, and sampled to typical breads there; anpan (あんパン)and meronpan (メロンパン). Anpan is a bun filled with sweet red bean paste, meronpan is simple a bun coated in baked cookie dough. Meronpan means "melon bread", and gets that name because it looks like a rock melon. Both taste good, but the so weird compared to the breads in the UK.

Hennaz ヘンナズ

(#7 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-21-2009, 09:48 PM

I had a wide varieties of bread in Japan, and is one of the things I didn't expect, but was pleasantly surprised by the quality (but this could go with all the products I bought in Japan)

The school I went to had great bread for sale, as well.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-22-2009, 02:29 AM

I think that whole category of 菓子パン (snack bread?) is sort of neglected outside of Japan. Not everywhere of course, but at least where I was from. Bread was toast or sandwiches, with an occasional roll or the like. Not the 50+ varieties you can find most everywhere in Japan.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-23-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I think that whole category of 菓子パン (snack bread?) is sort of neglected outside of Japan. Not everywhere of course, but at least where I was from. Bread was toast or sandwiches, with an occasional roll or the like. Not the 50+ varieties you can find most everywhere in Japan.
That's pretty true. I don't think my local village corner store sells sandwiches, let alone anything more exciting on the bread front. I certainly wouldn't find wonders such as the Egg Dog or a DJ Ozma brand deep fried tonkatsu baguette (this is probably a good thing).

Actually, the UK's idea of a 'conbini' sandwich is probably what put me off sandwiches for good. Dried out chicken salad or grey looking tuna mayo? Squishy cheese with watery tomato on soggy bread? A 'pastry' that's 80% reconstituted cream with an E-number infused neon cherry on top? Mmmm~... I think I'll pass.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
kiyosuke (Offline)
JF Regular

11-23-2009, 03:53 PM

The Japanese made "Anpan"
Do you like it?

Anpan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia