(#21 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
11-23-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuujirou View Post
to summarise.... nothing in that menu truly 'stands' out.
I would agree. This reads like every other sushi-ya's menu I have seen lately.

The pho roll you described is mildly interesting, but I think I would just settle for a good Vietnamese spring roll than bother with this.

Not too long ago I had a very good roll that accurately reflected the chef's mixed Japanese & Korean heritage. He managed to include kimchi without overpowering the fish - a balance apparently quite difficult to achieve, from the few other attempts I have tasted.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

11-23-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
I don't think its oddball, so much as a sign you may be beginning to lose your sense of taste. I am serious, not being snide. As the tastebuds fade (for many different reasons) people tend to gravitate toward stronger and stronger sensations. Sometimes the loss is temporary, like when numbed by too much alcohol. But it can also be the result of chronic allergies, or the drugs used to treat them. Of course its common with aging, repeated overstimulation, or injury too.

With the excessive pepper and sake, how can you even taste the fish to know whether it is any good? The flavor of most high quality fish would be seriously overpowered by this habit.
Similar to the reason why people with a poor diet crave salty/sugary foods stuffed with flavor enhancers and find 'ordinary' food horribly bland. They've basically wrecked their taste-buds. Smoking ruins it too. It took my mum literally ~years~ to regain proper taste and smell after she quit smoking.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-23-2009, 05:20 PM

All this talk of burnt out taste buds makes me feel quite pleased with my family. We barely even salt most things, and usually find flavored stuff overpowering... In the case of fast food and sweets, tongue burningly so.

Most food items have their own flavor, which I think it`s best to enjoy on it`s own in most cases unless the sauce spice actually accents and enhances the original flavor.

I find the very idea of putting hot sauce on sushi to be gag inducing. No way. Never. A tiny dip in soy sauce, a tiny dab of wasabi - sure - anything more is serious overkill.
On the various-things-in-a-roll-being-called-sushi - my opinion is that if it tastes good, enjoy it, but it really shouldn`t be called sushi.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
11-23-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
On the various-things-in-a-roll-being-called-sushi - my opinion is that if it tastes good, enjoy it, but it really shouldn`t be called sushi.
We seem to be of like minds on this.

In my case it is not a distaste for hot sauces. I make a salsa that send some "chili heads" running for an antidote, and I love to make something similar to peanut brittle with jalapenos as the main ingredient.

If you want to experience the spicy heat, find a sushi-ya that serves cuttlefish roe. That deceptive neon pink delicacy can make wasabi seem like mayonnaise by comparison.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

11-23-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
If you want to experience the spicy heat, find a sushi-ya that serves cuttlefish roe. That deceptive neon pink delicacy can make wasabi seem like mayonnaise by comparison.
Is THAT what I ate? Stuff darn near killed me!
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Mortry (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-23-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
On a different note, here's a classic video on how to eat sushi. It's obviously meant to be humorous but there are some facts as well.

Those different kinds of sushi at the end are hilarious!
I wonder how much of the video is real
(#27 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-23-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuujirou View Post
alas... this is quite a prime example of sushi gone awry >.>'''

to summarise.... nothing in that menu truly 'stands' out.
i'll give him propz for the utilisation of green tea... but...
that's about it really >.>''

I didn't claim him to be an innovator like you make it out to be, you seem pretty pretentious with your "review" of his menu.

His food is delicious, you haven't tried it. Is it sushi? Not all of it, no. But like I said, he also has traditional sushi.

I live in Alaska -- we're renown for our King Crab and our superb fish quality.

And use spellcheck once in a while.

Quote:
Columbine: Or else he's using cheapo crab and abusing it doesn't matter, so that idea puts me off as well.
Quote:

Last edited by burkhartdesu : 11-23-2009 at 08:29 PM.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

11-23-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
Just going from off the menu though, I still can't imagine how he manages to get the crab to balance with the bacon and everything else. Maybe it's one of those things you have to try but honestly? If I'd just been given that menu and I'd heard nothing about it before, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. To me the whole mix of combinations sounds unappetizing.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
IcewindDude (Offline)
JF Regular

11-24-2009, 12:02 AM

Is it weird (something most people do not do)? Yeah
Is it OK to do (won't get you in trouble)? Yeah

Foods are about as subjective as your favorite movie. You like what you like and that's all there is to it. Sure, others can laugh or cringe at it, but that doesn't change things. Most people who have not had sushi or love strong flavors will not appreciate those subtle flavors of sushi or know what is good about them. Still, most people like to try stuff. Much like with wines, cheeses, or other fine dinings.

It doesn't mean we can't appreciate other qualities such as the stronger flavors or the texture (which is my favorite part of sushi).

However, I'd gladly slow down and have someone either explain to me what "good" or "bad" sushi tastes like or gives me an example of each. Such tastes have to be developed.

A chef being insulted by my tastes in food will get a strange look from me as well.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
honoraryjapanesegirl (Offline)
Holy Dattebayo, Batman!!

Send a message via Yahoo to honoraryjapanesegirl
11-24-2009, 12:08 AM

Yeah, guys...rebuttle to what MMM said earlier...
If you don't like the way the thread is going, then don't post anything! It's not your thread in the first place! I mean, look! The original guy stopped posting!
Yeah, it's one thing to say 'Hey, you know, that is kinda strange; I wouldn't do something like that.' But it's another to bash 'im left and right! He asked if there was anyone else as weird as he was! (No offense intended.) Not, 'hey, you mind correcting my sushi etiquette!"
For heaven's sake, people! Lighten up a bit!

But, I have not tried hot sauce on sushi yet...I put hot sauce on everything! I say my Mom fed me with a hot sauce bottle! XD But, I will have to try that. I do like sushi with ketchup! ^^

~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~

~...Why must the different be cast away, be cast into a deep, dark pit of loneliness, being mocked and scorned as the the enemy...and eventually...become it...?~
~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~
~.::{Akatsuki Clan Member--Leader of California}::.~
~.::{Michiko Manami}::.~