JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Do you put weird condiments on sushi? - 11-21-2009, 07:17 AM

I don't care for wasabi much. I'll have it once in a while but it's a strong heat that goes away instantly. When I go to my favorite sushi restaurant around here, I usually skip the wasabi and put hot sauce on sushi, like tabasco but hotter. I also wash it down with sake. Most people I know think that's plain oddball. Anyone else try weird things on sushi?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

11-21-2009, 07:29 AM

Putting a sauce hotter than Tabasco on sushi?

No, that would be unthinkable in Japan. It would pretty much destroy the subtle taste of the fish, in which real sushi lovers seek a sweetness.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-21-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
Putting a sauce hotter than Tabasco on sushi?

No, that would be unthinkable in Japan. It would pretty much destroy the subtle taste of the fish, in which real sushi lovers seek a sweetness.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I do like plain sushi. But I go there so often that I like to mix it up. Especially at another cheaper place that is more of a general buffet with a sushi section. I don't know, it's an interesting flavor to me!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-21-2009, 08:02 AM

I am guessing the sushi you are eating isn't very good.

Wasabi is a mustard, like horse radish, and the spiciness is felt more in the nasal passages than the tongue. Chili based spices are felt on the tongue, and to be direct, don't belong in the same building as sushi.

It is as if you are taking diamonds and attaching them to plastic rings. It's a waste.

And I don't know anyone that likes "plain sushi". A slight dab (not a soaking) of soy sauce and wasabi makes it a complete experience.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-21-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am guessing the sushi you are eating isn't very good.
No, it is.

Quote:
Wasabi is a mustard, like horse radish, and the spiciness is felt more in the nasal passages than the tongue.
Oh I know what wasabi is made of and how it works, isothiocynates. And like I said, I do still eat it on occasion, and I've eaten it a lot with sushi in the past.

Quote:
Chili based spices are felt on the tongue, and to be direct, don't belong in the same building as sushi.
Actually, the capsaicin gets felt everywhere depending on the concentration. That's what defensive pepper spray is based on. Also, if you eat it a lot, you become tolerant to it and don't feel the heat and only get the flavor. It's a one of a kind flavor and in the right amounts blends with the flavor of food, it doesn't drown it. But I guess I'm the only one, don't I feel special!

Quote:
It is as if you are taking diamonds and attaching them to plastic rings. It's a waste.
Well I'm not force feeding anyone, just engaging in unique flavors. Though I'm well aware of how foods are traditionally served and can appreciate many flavors.

Quote:
And I don't know anyone that likes "plain sushi".
I do. At least where I eat. But sushi rice is spiced.

Quote:
A slight dab (not a soaking) of soy sauce and wasabi makes it a complete experience.
Well we each like what we like. I personally don't like any shouyu on sushi.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-21-2009, 09:02 AM

It's fine to enjoy what you like to eat. I am not going to tell you to change. But the way you eat sushi is like putting whipped creme on a cheeseburger in Japanese eyes. If that is fine with you, then that is fine.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
webmind (Offline)
New to JF

11-21-2009, 09:51 AM

Uh, I only dip a little sauce and wasabi. Just a little bit for flavor enhancement.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-21-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It's fine to enjoy what you like to eat. I am not going to tell you to change. But the way you eat sushi is like putting whipped creme on a cheeseburger in Japanese eyes. If that is fine with you, then that is fine.
Yes, I know that. The chef at the sushi place looks at me like I'm insane, but I'm a customer! That's the point of this thread to see if anyone else is odd, but I guess I'm alone. That only encourages me.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
11-21-2009, 11:39 AM

I can respect your tastes for the abnormal and creative~
but I must agree with everyone else that it is a true waste of proper fish.... if the sushi that you're eating is as good as you say it is...
but then again, i'm extremely discriminating when it comes to sushi >.>''

what others say is fucking awesome and off the chain~
i hold my nose, withdraw my stomach, then throw up a little in the back of my mouth >.>'
but that's just me =P

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

11-21-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzone View Post
I don't care for wasabi much. I'll have it once in a while but it's a strong heat that goes away instantly. When I go to my favorite sushi restaurant around here, I usually skip the wasabi and put hot sauce on sushi, like tabasco but hotter. I also wash it down with sake. Most people I know think that's plain oddball. Anyone else try weird things on sushi?
Mate, Tobasco on Sushi is the WEIRDEST thing I've ever heard of..

Wouldn't Mc Donalds be more up your alley?

Cheers - Oz