Don't do drugs!

(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-31-2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SceptileMaster View Post
I haven't heard of peanut butter ice cream either.
Actually, neither have I.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

12-31-2009, 03:25 AM

This reminds me, in Thailand, I went out to dinner with a group of other foreigners once. When desert time came, one man (who had the nickname, Shrek, for his size and appearance) went and got himself a huge bowl of ice cream. He'd packed it to the top.

He sat down, but before he started to eat, he explained the difficulty of finding a spoon to eat with, not realizing the Thais use a Chinese soup spoon to eat just about anythuing, including ice cream. Seemingly dissapointed by his cuttlery, he said at least they actually have ice cream.

At which point, he took a bite of what he thought would be lime flavored ice cream from its green appearance. He was not impressed and didn't eat any more.

It was so funny. I don't know what flavor he had, but first up, their "ice cream" is made from coconut, not cream. Which would have been the first surprise. As for the flavor, I don't know, but you do get weird things like shredded pork and stuff served in Thailand.

Most Asians fail to make the difference between sweet and savory tastes. If you buy bread, in Thailand, what may appear to be a cheesy savory bun is probably a sugary snack. Same goes for deserts; don't be too surprised if you pull a big chunk of pork out of your cake...

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Artvampire (Offline)
JF Regular

12-31-2009, 07:22 AM

Well Harry Potter had jelly beans that tasted like dirt, ear wax, or vomit. Which were actually sold in stores in real life.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Tturtle (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-31-2009, 03:50 PM

Ok. Maybe peanut butter icecream isn't something the European Union is into, but MMM, cmon, you live in the US. Go to grocery store and try it!

Has anyone checked the coring room?
(#16 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
12-31-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artvampire View Post
Well Harry Potter had jelly beans that tasted like dirt, ear wax, or vomit. Which were actually sold in stores in real life.
Reminds me of Jelly Bellys (popcorn, toasted marshmallow, yumm)
Wait, weren't those jelly beans made by the Jelly Belly company? I remember seeing them advertised as Jelly Belly products...
(#17 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
12-31-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tturtle View Post
Ok. Maybe peanut butter icecream isn't something the European Union is into, but MMM, cmon, you live in the US. Go to grocery store and try it!

Maybe its just a Virginia thing... or SEastern US....since they grow peanuts there. I haven't seen any either, except for special mixes of it in one or two ice cream shops that are known for a wide vareity of flavors.

Hmmm, green ice cream in Thailand? My 1st guess would be plantain .... if the guy was lucky. But I am sure the possibilities are endless.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
ushkana (Offline)
New to JF

Like? - 12-31-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
No, it is not really normal to eat shrimp ice cream in Japan. It is a novelty there, just as it is seen strange here.

That Japanese I know are more surprised by the things Americans are happy to submit their digestive systems too.
LIKE WHAT?
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Tturtle (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-31-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
Maybe its just a Virginia thing... or SEastern US....since they grow peanuts there. I haven't seen any either, except for special mixes of it in one or two ice cream shops that are known for a wide variety of flavors.
Admittedly, it doesn't seem to be a more popular flavor. In fact I found an article on MSNBC saying that anything with peanuts or peanut butter underwhelms ice cream fans in countries other than the US.

World’s strangest ice cream - Seasonal- msnbc.com

And to keep it on topic the article even mentions raw horseflesh icecream available -- guess where -- Japan!

Has anyone checked the coring room?

Last edited by Tturtle : 12-31-2009 at 10:27 PM.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-01-2010, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushkana View Post
LIKE WHAT?
I've felt like that on my trips to America. Everything had so much sugar in it and every other food item was really processed and fake tasting.