JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Food (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/)
-   -   Found Excellent Cookbook (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/29662-found-excellent-cookbook.html)

Columbine 01-04-2010 12:24 AM

Found Excellent Cookbook

It's called "Everyday Harumi: Simple Japanese Cooking for Family and Friends" by Harumi Kurihara. I'm pretty impressed with it so far.

It's easy to follow, pretty bullet proof for beginners, and it's got a lovely mix of tried-and-tested favourites like katsudon and more interesting japanese-western dishes without going too far into fusion cookery territory.

It's also thankfully NOT gone the safe route of only promoting ingredients you could find in a western supermarket, but it's not being difficult either. If you can't get ponzu, for example, she gives a recipe of how to make something similar from home with ordinary soy sauce.

Mostly I like it because it really seems to be down-to-earth home cooking. It's not classed-up or restaurant-y, it's not made out to be exotic, and it's not just there to appeal to the japanophiles.

Anyway, I thought I'd share because it can be really hard to know if it's worth shelling out for a cookbook by someone you've never heard of. I've got another of her books, which is a bit more adventurous, but definitely if you're interested in learning to cook Japanese food, have a look.

maninhat 01-05-2010 09:51 PM

I love her! And that book is amazing! I actually purchased it in epcot a while ago. I use those recipes all the time.

Columbine 01-06-2010 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maninhat (Post 793633)
I love her! And that book is amazing! I actually purchased it in epcot a while ago. I use those recipes all the time.

I am baffled why her books aren't easier to find in shops; everytime I go digging around for japanese cook books in Waterstones or something I normally only turn up a few no-name general books or haute cuisine type books that are mind-bogglingly difficult to cook at home. Ok, so my local bookstore is small but still~

Harichan92 02-03-2010 11:45 PM

I just rented that book at the library in fact lol
Are her recipies stricly traditional? (can't remember)
I love traditional japanese food....:rheart:

Columbine 02-04-2010 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harichan92 (Post 798310)
I just rented that book at the library in fact lol
Are her recipies stricly traditional? (can't remember)
I love traditional japanese food....:rheart:

Not exactly strictly traditional. It's a lot of home cooking which is mostly traditional (or basic, at any rate), but then also a few more modern recipes that maybe lean more towards fusion cookery.

basujansb0110 02-05-2010 05:09 PM

At first, I wanna thank for this nice cookbook..........

I mean for the information you have provided in your post.

This is really helpful to everyone to be a nice cooker in a part time..........