JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Harichan92 (Offline)
New to JF

Soybean Paste for miso expiration date - 02-12-2010, 11:35 PM

I bought it a month or two ago, and it's been settling in the back of my refrigirator the whole time. Is it still good? There doesnt seem to be an experation date on it >.< thank you!

Please visit my deviantart account ^____^ http://sakura-saki-92.deviantart.com/

''My pencil is attached to my lungs, if I stop drawing, I DIE.''
D:
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

02-13-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harichan92 View Post
I bought it a month or two ago, and it's been settling in the back of my refrigirator the whole time. Is it still good? There doesnt seem to be an experation date on it >.< thank you!
How would we know if it's good if you don't?

Is this product from Japan? If so, there has to be an expiration date printed somewhere on the package. Look again and post the numbers (usually 6 numbers) here because they may not look like a date to you as the Japanese usually go year-month-day.

(I'm hasitating to answer the way I'd want to, which is "No problem!" as this concers your health.)
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-13-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
In general soy bean paste does not go bad, and if it has been in the fridge the whole time you should be fine.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-13-2010, 05:03 AM

Quote:
What you could do is scrap off the part of the miso paste that is exposed with air, for the sake of safety.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-13-2010, 10:29 AM

I've had a tub of that in my fridge i've been using for just about the same length of time. Miso lasts for ages if kept right. You didn't say if it was in an air-tight container or not. Either way check that there is absolutely no mould on it or that it doesn't smell/taste musty (if it does, throw it out), and as komitsuki said, it it's been exposed to air for a long time, remove that layer. If the whole surface has been exposed the whole time, or completely caked, cracked and dried out, you may as well throw it out because you might not be able to tell if other things have dripped into it or not and there's not much you can do to resurrect dried paste.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Harichan92 (Offline)
New to JF

02-14-2010, 03:50 AM

Ah!! I'm very sorry! I forgot to mention!
It has never been opened before, so I suppose I dont have anything to worry about, huh >////<

Please visit my deviantart account ^____^ http://sakura-saki-92.deviantart.com/

''My pencil is attached to my lungs, if I stop drawing, I DIE.''
D: