JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
sfbluestar (Offline)
New to JF

Home made sashimi from sport-caught fish - 04-09-2010, 09:05 AM

Here in California we catch different types of fish from our ocean -- salmon, halibut, mackerel, albacore tuna, etc. I'm wondering if it's possible to make sashimi out of them.

I heard fish meat for sashimi must be chilled to certain temperature for certain length of time. Is that true? and if so, is there a way for a regular household to do that?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
04-09-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbluestar View Post
Here in California we catch different types of fish from our ocean -- salmon, halibut, mackerel, albacore tuna, etc. I'm wondering if it's possible to make sashimi out of them.

I heard fish meat for sashimi must be chilled to certain temperature for certain length of time. Is that true? and if so, is there a way for a regular household to do that?
I usually put my fish on ice as soon as they are out of the water, but I don't know if anything beyond would be necessary if you were going to eat it right away. You certainly don't need to do anything with uni/sea urchin beyond breaking them open and consuming them right then and there.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

04-09-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
I usually put my fish on ice as soon as they are out of the water, but I don't know if anything beyond would be necessary if you were going to eat it right away. You certainly don't need to do anything with uni/sea urchin beyond breaking them open and consuming them right then and there.
I don't know much about it, but I think I heard about this 'you need to chill the fish' thing before. I think someone told me you needed to almost freeze it to kill off parasites that would normally be killed by cooking, but i'm not sure.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
04-09-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
I don't know much about it, but I think I heard about this 'you need to chill the fish' thing before. I think someone told me you needed to almost freeze it to kill off parasites that would normally be killed by cooking, but i'm not sure.
Now that you mention it, yes, the near freeze is used for killing off parasites, and that is really needed for most salmon these days. I am not so sure what the incidence of parasites is in fish that are from deeper waters though.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

04-09-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
Now that you mention it, yes, the near freeze is used for killing off parasites, and that is really needed for most salmon these days. I am not so sure what the incidence of parasites is in fish that are from deeper waters though.
I guess it depends on the fish and the region. I would certainly do that with any fish that likes to lurk in either fresh water or land-locked salt-water areas because of liver flukes. D: *horrors*
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-09-2010, 08:11 PM

Where I live it is illegal to serve raw fish that hasn't been frozen, but I know they don't do that in Japan.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-10-2010, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Where I live it is illegal to serve raw fish that hasn't been frozen, but I know they don't do that in Japan.
Yep. Most fish is caught then sliced and served. However, depending on the region, season, etc - there is occasionally some fish that isn`t eaten at certain times due to potential parasites or bacteria.
River, lake, and mixed habitat fish is pretty much never eaten raw without some extensive preparation. (Freezing, blanching, etc) This would include salmon, as it moves between fresh and salt water.

Anyway, if you stick to pure salt water fish you should be alright.
Something you will need to be careful of though is to kill the fish immediately. The faster you get it out of the water and the faster you kill it (by either stabbing it through the head or chopping the head off) - the higher quality and longer lasting meat you have. The natural acid given off while a fish is struggling and dying will make it taste pretty awful and will also make it go bad much more quickly.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
WeeFugu (Offline)
JF Regular

04-19-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Yep. Most fish is caught then sliced and served. However, depending on the region, season, etc - there is occasionally some fish that isn`t eaten at certain times due to potential parasites or bacteria.
River, lake, and mixed habitat fish is pretty much never eaten raw without some extensive preparation. (Freezing, blanching, etc) This would include salmon, as it moves between fresh and salt water.

Anyway, if you stick to pure salt water fish you should be alright.
Something you will need to be careful of though is to kill the fish immediately. The faster you get it out of the water and the faster you kill it (by either stabbing it through the head or chopping the head off) - the higher quality and longer lasting meat you have. The natural acid given off while a fish is struggling and dying will make it taste pretty awful and will also make it go bad much more quickly.
I wonder if that is what ended up in my kyuushoku and why it tasted so foul?

(#9 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-01-2010, 02:26 PM

If its from the sea then take it of the hook, bash it's head then slice away. note. I am only talking about the flesh and not the organs.
I have seen Japanese crowd around a netted catch and pop the tiddlers into their mouths still wriggling.