JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
superabbytcs (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to superabbytcs Send a message via MSN to superabbytcs Send a message via Yahoo to superabbytcs
Untraditional Sushi Ingredients - 05-07-2010, 10:04 PM

To all of you sushi chefs, sushi connoisseurs, and sushi lovers (like myself =D), what is your opinion on using nontraditional ingredients for sushi? For example, I saw a man demonstrating a new 'easy' way to make sushi and he was using carrots and pickles(yuck). Does it get on your nerves? Is it disrespectful, dishonorable, or disgraceful to the art of sushi? Or do you think it is a perfectly acceptable way of adding your own twist to an amazing food?

Please let me know your opinion on the matter! ^^

Side note for the grammar/spelling police: If I used 'untraditional' and 'nontraditional' in the wrong instances, forgive me I was getting confused on which to use. And, if "connoisseurs" is not the correct plural form of "connoisseur" I am sorry once again. It is literally my first time using that word in a sentence. I blame dictionary.com for any mistakes I made.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-08-2010, 07:15 AM

I live in Tokyo, and the kaitenzushi restaurant up the road from me serves norimaki with meatballs in them, among other unusual combinations. While the chefs over in Tsukiji may be horrified, it's not really unusual in Japan these days to have non-traditional ingredients in sushi. Purists I'm sure wouldn't go near those things though!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
eventually (Offline)
New to JF

05-08-2010, 08:15 AM

I accept any sushi.
I think sushi became popular all over the world because of that untraditional ingredients and sushi is capable of match any ingredients.

To speak of traditional sushi ingredients, I imagine row fishes, but sounds delicious such as " duck sushi", "hamburger steak sushi", and"flied-shrimp sushi" and so on.

Please correct my English when it's inappropriate and I'll do my best to understand you.
feel free to follow me although there's few tweets @_e_v_e_EN
(#4 (permalink))
Old
superabbytcs (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to superabbytcs Send a message via MSN to superabbytcs Send a message via Yahoo to superabbytcs
05-08-2010, 04:02 PM

Haha! Meatball sushi?! Duck sushi?! Wow those are pretty unique!

One thing I really love about sushi is the bright colors and the beautiful plating. I really feel like you could never reach that level of elegance without using seafood. Or maybe fruit. But I would definitely be willing to try all of those new and unusual combinations! ^^
(#5 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

05-08-2010, 06:32 PM

Making new tastes out of something old is fine with me.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
05-24-2010, 08:19 AM

people need to realise boundaries.

like... there really are somethings that just don't belong w/ vinegared rice...
like mango for instance >.>'''

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-24-2010, 03:07 PM

Taken literally, as "with rice", I suppose you could put anything with the rice and call it sushi. But you are not going to like the look you get from me if you place western food on a lump of rice in front of me.

Pickles and carrots - ok, if its oshinko.
If its kosher dill, I would eat it, but think you lost your mind.
If its a sweet or butter pickle you better duck because it may be airborne rather quickly.

I side with Yuujiro - there are traditional boundaries. You don't adulterate my sushi with cooked ground beef, and you don't mess with my chicken fried steak & cream gravy by serving it with miso on the side.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.